Jeff White story on Kody Stattmann

He seems to be in line for a big role to start the season. I’m curious what fans expect from him.

How much time will he average in ACC games?

• Over 18 minutes per game
  • Under 18 minutes per game
0 voters
1 Like

The difference between Stattmann’s FIBA play over the summer and the hype he’s getting is striking. He was reportedly a starter in the scrimmage, and now he’s getting fawning media coverage.

But we saw him play just a couple month ago, and he was a pretty bad shooter in Greece. Now he’s a starter?

So did he get that much better in the last month, or does it mean Woldetensae and Morsell are that bad?

I hope he is as good as the hype, but I want to see it before I believe it.

2 Likes

He never seemed aggressive when he got in last year…I honestly didn’t expect much from him, but we’ve only seen him a few minutes. Hopefully, he can hit the open jumper.

Guessing kihei will continue to struggle finishing, but he can get in the lane… if defenses can’t sag in bc they have to stay on kody…that would be sweet

3 Likes

I think he’ll be okay, but if I’m right he’s not a 4th year do he has some time to develop, I might be wrong though

2 Likes

Bold prediction. Kody has break out type year in whatever his role may be. Legit 6-7 and looks like he is filling in and much stronger. Good job Coach Curtis!

3 Likes

Williford confirmed the crucial improvements Stattmann needed to make-- “obviously he’s stronger and he’s much improved in regards to defense.” Jeff White reports that he’s up 20 pounds from last year as well. That will probably get him on the floor for 15 minutes a game with our big need at wing this year. Williford’s other comment about Stattmann, “Just be confident, take and make shots”, is the other improvement that Stattmann needs to make this fall and the early part of the season to reach 20+ minutes a game. I optimistically voted for over 18 minutes a game under the assumption he’ll make that improvement to his game. Looks like most posters on LRA are still skeptical though. If Stattmann does soar offensively, I propose that the UVA band get a didgeridoo and play it every time he scores.

3 Likes

That is a bold prediction. I hope your right

1 Like

Whoah, so yeah not many folks are buying Kody. Maybe I should have set the o/u a little lower. 18 seems about right for the first guard off the bench. Lots of variables though. I took the under too for what it’s worth.

I was in the minority that was sort of impressed by Kody this summer. If you didn’t see him before he arrived, you wouldn’t understand how much his agility has improved. I saw him play with his Aussie team against Trae Young’s Oklahoma squad on their overseas tour. Wow was it bad. He couldn’t stay in front of anyone. He looks like a totally different guy now. Still, the plan was always year 3 with him. So I think we’re a year early in expecting much.

1 Like

Did he ever red shirt? If not I am surprised.

1 Like

They planned to redshirt Kody last year, but then Frankie took a leave of absence and they just didn’t have the depth to allow it.

2 Likes