Justin McKoy statement

JM gets it. He is focused only on what he can control - his attitude, preparation, and effort. He’s committed to a team, a community. Coaches like TB have to make decisions in the best interests of the team. He’s putting in the work and focused on improvement, not outcomes. With that kind of attitude, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t have a big role next year with significant production.

8 Likes

I see it differently. Why should he care what fans say. As long his teammates, coaches and family know, why entertain it. He did it because transferring did pop up in his mind or his inner circle head. Not saying he would have acted on the thoughts. But he did think about it and was disappointed about his lack of playing time. And if Braxton return, we get Seth Towns, or kaiden is who we think he is. He won’t play much next yr either. Who care what we say as fans. I tell my son this. Most college fans are grown men living their lives thru kids. Most would leave their lives tu live your life. They are concerned about your life and not the other way around. They are on the edge of their seat waiting tu hear news about your. Why worry about what they say or think. That includes me as a fan.

7 Likes

I hadn’t seen anyone speculate about him either. But then when I retweeted this, of course there’s a fan in the replies encouraging it lol

It’s just gotten ridiculous that fans expect a freshman to be upset for lack of playing time. They’re freshman. They’re not supposed to play much.

4 Likes

My frustration is he didnt beat Kody for minutes, which is mind blowing. Its not like our players were eating out there on the court. Why not see what he can do. Give jim a chance. Like I said if he couldnt beat out kody, that is real scary. And yes he can guard on the perimeter. He need development but its not like kody locked people up. I heard Justin was tearing stuff up this summer. I thought TB was redshirting Justin and thats why he didn’t play. But I was told he played in tu many games. This was a waste of a yr and I know his family feel that way. Even if they won’t say it publically.

4 Likes

I hear all of that. Trust in the plan. CTB had to cobble together a lineup that could produce points. We had a lot of big men. It would have been great for him to have mid range game that contributed but I don’t expect that from a first year.

1 Like

Please. There have been multiple threads on this board that discuss this very topic, and bring up this player by name. Here’s several examples:

1 Like

I don’t read every post on this board. lol And mine doesn’t speculate about anything. That was part of a breakdown by when players were recruited where I just stated the fact that the other late signers transferred.

We’re gonna need to put in some rules of conduct around here though. Speculating about specific players transferring would be included if it’s up to me. It’s just in bad taste and pointless.

7 Likes

That statement could not be more speculative.

1 Like

Not speculative whatsoever. It’s a fact that he would be the first late signing high school recruit under Bennett at UVA not to transfer.

3 Likes

You posted in the same thread on the same day in response to the previous poster, in a way that shows that you were commenting as a continuation of that poster’s comments.

Weird thing to be so obsessed with man. First posts too. lol Thanks for reading though.

7 Likes

I said it then and I will say it now. When I see his facial expressions on the bench during games he strikes me as a guy who loves being at UVA and isn’t going anywhere. Jay Huff was a lot higher rated and also struck me as someone who loved being there and he waited his turn and came into his own this year.

4 Likes

In one statement, you’ve casually linked the player in question to others as “unnecessary settles”. This is a cheap, throwaway comment, but extremely hurtful to the person in question if they actually stumble across the comment.

This is the type of callous comment that hurts a player when they read this type of stuff online. I’m angry that Justin felt forced to come out to make a statement in his own defense that he isn’t transferring. That tells you the type of external negative feedback that he’s obviously gotten, often from UVA fans.

Key phrase.

3 Likes

When put in context, HGN was just commenting on how 3 players who signed late transferred/left the team. He wasn’t speculating at all about McKoy, just mentioning that, assuming McKoy plays out his career, he’d be the first of that group. This has gotten out of hand. I agree it’s a shame players feel that pressure, but let’s not start pointing fingers and overreacting

4 Likes

As the original poster re: McCoy and Stattmann I’ll say that my comments were only based on a fairly consistent history of transfer-outs under CTB. I hope anybody who reads my stuff knows that I love these guys more than my own family, sometimes.

Shayok, Reuter, Thompson, Stith, Anthony, Barnette, Jesperson, Barton, Regan, Jones, Spurlock… pretty much 1x per year. Stands to reason there may be one this year, especially with the class we have coming.

Zero disrespect to Justin and Kody. Love these guys. They both had great seasons. I hope they stay, compete and earn time.

I’m sorry that if I offended you. I think it’s a realistic possibility that someone leaves the team. It happens most seasons. Kids simply want to play the game they’ve given their lives to; it’s not that they’re not “UVa-enough.” Couldn’t blame anybody who left to get minutes.

I’m happy to follow any posting guidelines relative to transfers - definitely not trying to abuse the forum. Trying to keep the vibes positive.

7 Likes

Yea, I agree. McKoy played well what time he did play and I’m sure he will play an important role on this team. Let’s be thankful that McKoy is a good player with a good attitude. Now let’s move on to another subject

2 Likes

lol that this board is the cause of McKoy’s statement

2 Likes

Regardless of how you chose to interpret these comments, would you ever make this type of comment to Justin McKoy’s face or if he was within hearing distance? I don’t think so.

My intent wasn’t really to call out specific posters. My point is to show that this behavior is occurring very commonly among fans, often without realizing it ourselves.

None of us have bad intentions, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t unthinkingly make comments that could easily be very hurtful. Easy to make hurtful comments and forget about them, but the subject of these comments will take it much harder. Marco Anthony endured a lot of crappy comments about transferring during his time at UVA.

If it’s something that you would never say in the presence of a player or recruit, it’s probably a type of comment that you should not be posting or making online.

3 Likes

Uh, technically, Badocchi didn’t transfer. His situation was unique.

2 Likes