Kon Knueppel - Official Thread

s-l5001

7 Likes

If and only if Knueppel blows up and signs with Duke, we can call him Kon Dumb.

10 Likes

Man, I was so excited back in the day when we got Kris Hunter away from hometown FSU. And then the only real playing time he got was when we had like 7 scholarship players. Those were some dark days. Also Craig McAndrew, preventing Kody Stattmann from being the worst player weā€™ve ever signed out of Australia. Truth be told, Stattmann had a decent career for us. We only wish he played less and other guys played more, but for a career bench guy, he spent multiple seasons in the rotation and has a ring and a degree from his time here. And in Australia, heā€™ll always have the cache of playing college basketball in the States and winning a national championship. Sounds good in theory at least.

6 Likes

I could be wrong (wouldnā€™t be the first time) but I believe TB may have been as loyal to Stattman as he was, because he stuck with the team through COVID.

The easy thing to do would have been to just go back to Australia and stayed thereā€¦if my son were half a world away in college during all of that, I would have wanted him home.

8 Likes

I have a rule where I can say dumb stuff during a game but try to remain objective after. Stattman was frustrating, but a lot of the criticism he got was similar to the criticism Clark got. Asked too often to do things he wasnā€™t really capable of doing because of roster deficiencies.

For me, I donā€™t want guys to be processed or forced out. If a dude commits to us, works hard, and is a good representative of the university he is ok by me. Even if I might say mean things during a game or wish we wouldnā€™t have missed on other recruiting targets.

13 Likes

Yeah agree with this. My last line wasnā€™t meant to be critical or a shot at Kody, just a throwaway joke about McAndrew.

1 Like

But itā€™s cool to poke fun at the pride of Wonga Beach Australia? (just kidding, of course) :wink:

2 Likes

Man I LOVE these threads!!

1 Like

Yeah, it must have matched up with the year they did the border/fringe on the football jerseys. And maybe the more stylized numbers?

Not to get too far off topic, but about this Kon Knueppel guy, Iā€™d really, really like to land him.

Heā€™s not fast or terribly athletic, his size is sort of short 4 though heā€™s purely a wing, I think heā€™s going to have to have a fire burning in him to be able to play our defense adequately, but I think heā€™s a winner. Iā€™ve used the Chris Mullen comp before and I certainly cannot claim to have seen enough of Knueppel for anyone to put weight on that comp, but I just think this guy is a winner. Heā€™s productive and has been productive playing against quality HS level competition in AAU ball. Sometimes you just need guys that are stat stuffers that maybe arenā€™t the ideal physical types.

7 Likes

I see a 6ā€™7ā€ Hauser / TJ Power baby

2 Likes

Brad Davison with a jump shot.

The player comparison given for Brian by Brandon Jenkins on the 247 site is Kyle Korver, granted that was from an evaluation that happened about seven months ago. With that being said if Brian can be as overwhelmingly good a shooter as Korver was in college and the NBA, thereā€™s a lot of potential deficiencies in his game you can start to live with. The same could be said with Hauser in his lone season here.

4 Likes

Konald McKonald

2 Likes

Maybe like a software upgraded TJ Power. Heā€™s better

1 Like

Super super skilled just smaller and less mobile from what Iā€™ve seen (limited)

1 Like

And younger!

2 Likes

I read somewhere that TJ Power is actually the same age as Scheyer. Advantage: King Kon

10 Likes

Is Power another Filipowksi?

It might be recency bias, but Iā€™m going more like Hunter Tyson, though maybe heā€™ll get to 5th year Hunter Tyson in his 2nd or 3rd year.

I just watched a few Power clips from his senior year, and heā€™s really good, but he doesnā€™t do anything spectacularly well. Heā€™s just very good at basketball and heā€™s 6-8. And heā€™s a couple years older so might be closer to his ceiling.

Heā€™s 4 inches shorter than Flipā€¦

1 Like