Less Than a Month Til Basketbal

I listened to the podcast. If Arizona is a blue blood I’ll kiss your ass.

2 Likes

Hahah i agree I dont consider Zona a blue blood. I haven’t seen them win it all since Mike Bibby. Gotta do better than that

I’m a big believer in our redshirt plan for guys, but if Murphy is a potential game-changer this year I hope he plays, especially if a 5th year in college seems unlikely.

Do you know whether or not we’ve filed the official paperwork for an NCAA waiver?

1 Like

No I don’t know if there’s a waiver request for Murphy. Some hints out there that it is/was being considered, but that’s all.

1 Like

I really like Murphy’s skillset, but I think saying he could be a gamechanger this year is setting expectations way too high on the kid. He was a solid rotation player for a C-USA team last year and the competition level is a lot higher now for him.

1 Like

Thanks. My guess is something’s going on with that situation. Williford was pretty vague about Murphy on one of his recent shows, and it seemed intentional. And as someone who follows UVa basketball pretty closely, I can’t ever remember being this far into the start of practice with Tony not having been made available to the local media. We’ll see …

2 Likes

My question was based on the mailbag feature that is linked in the first post in this thread.

On Murphy, HGN said, “He’d probably start this season, or at least play a major role.”

Mark Jerome, who’s seen him in practice, said, “If Trey Murphy is granted a waiver, he’s a starter.”

Reports like that would indicate a potential game-changer for us this year.

I guess now, having gone back to find it, the next thing to do is over-analyze Mark Jerome’s quote …

3 Likes

Also found it interesting Mark would only comment on Beekman when answering the question about the roles the freshman would play this year…

4 Likes

Lol tbh I cut an entire section of my answer to that question saying that Murphy would be a game changer if he applies for and gets the waiver. He’s got a unique skill set that only Hauser can match and he’s easily more athletic than Hauser. He’s an efficient shooter from everywhere, has a good handle, and should be fine guarding wings.

4 Likes

Good point. If it turns out that Murphy is eligible and likely to take on a major role that would impact Abdur-Rahim for sure.

We’ll find out at some point where things stand but my guess is that the tea leaves suggest a waiver has been applied for.

2 Likes

My assumption is based on what people have seen in practice against “ACC level” competition it’s safe to say he’s one of their best players. The reports are he is the most talented player on the team and if he plays at the level the staff thinks he can, yes “Game Changer”.

6 Likes

If Murphy plays, we have to be the # 1 team in NCAA.

Just watched his highlights for first time. Some flashes of a less refined Anfernee Hardaway?

1 Like

Agreed, a frontcourt line up of Murphy, Hauser, and Huff would be something. Add in Kihei and either Beekman/Morsell/Tomas and that’s a hell of a lineup. The defense might take a step back but the offense would be deadly. But, I will say Baylor would be a very close second, they’re loaded this year.

1 Like

I’d still have Gonzaga 1 and Villanova 2. I’d bump us ahead of Baylor into 3rd.

However, I think Murphy is a much better shooter.

think is just cause different game now but yea looks like he has real range now. We played Anfernee in HS and he was like 70percent from 2 and 50 from 3 coming into the game ha

3 Likes

Lacking a little orange but I think they will grow on me.

1 Like

Not a fan! Reminds me of UConn
Just my opinion tho

2 Likes

Just saw this was already posted in another thread awk. But yeah a little too minimalistic. Orange is a big color for us. Orange and blue baby

1 Like