Less Than a Month Til Basketbal

Seems like Tony suffered from the same issue last year

1 Like

Orange starburst are under rated.

2 Likes

I could see Jay’s minutes being closer to last year’s which was around 25. Could see him in foul trouble often.

1 Like

Heyoooo. I’m assuming if Tony did it was for a reason. And honestly I’m not sure where he fit in on last yrs team.

I think he definitely could earn his way into more minutes, but we have a lot more guard depth than we did in Kihei’s 1st year.

2 Likes

Yeah foul trouble obviously changes things, but in an ideal world I think Jay is playing 30+. We don’t have a Mamadi that can slide into those minutes at the 5 without a big defensive drop-off. Caffaro doesn’t have the same level of mobility and Shedrick is still raw

1 Like

Jay at 30 mins would be great but doubt we can realistically expect that.

True but hopefully 3 guys grab those other two starting spots and the 6th man role. Bad sign if we have to play 5 guys spread out minutes like we did in 16-17.

1 Like

In 25 mpg, Jay averaged 2.4 fouls per game - so while there will be games of foul trouble, he’s not awful on that front. I think he’s the head-and-shoulders top option at the 5 and should get the minutes

5 Likes

For sure, I think the rotation gets trimmed as the season goes along, so that’s why I had these as beginning of season. Realistically, any of the guys outside of the “big 3” could find their way into more minutes and Tony could trim to an 8 or 9 man rotation.

However, I think it’s going to take some actual games to make those decisions clearer for the staff and I certainly am not going to predict yet how these guys grew their games/what the 1st years will look like in high-level competition.

4 Likes

I’m old enough to remember how you knew it was a big game for UVA. They wore the big game orange uniforms. Though I was in the minority wanting them back.

6 Likes

You’re right Jay is the best option at the 5. Papi brings a different style when he’s in. Having a stretch 4 like Sam opens up somw options however

2 Likes

For sure. I think there’s some matchups like UNC’s jumbo lineup where Caffaro could see more time. Shedrick is also a total wild card still. Sam could also slide to the 3 in some lineups to go very big.

Another interesting possibility is going very small against other teams that try it. I wonder if McKoy could function as a small ball 5 in spots like Key did in the title game

1 Like

That’s a strong possibility with McKoy. I think there’s a lot of options but matchups will dictate the lineups.

Despite Mark’s objection i could also see a lineup with casey kihei amd reece on the floor with same and jay maybe at the 4.

Minute’s are still tough to predict with so little info on the team

1 Like

Philosophical question: Do you match up to the other team or do you play your best 5 and make the other team match up?

1 Like

TB plays the matchups allowing his best 5 for the matchup

I tend to agree with that philosophy because typically your best 5 should = the idea matchup. Plus in basketball trying to impose your will with a matchup that is not idea can really bite you depending on the the positive/negative effect that player can provide.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to the defensive end. If your best 5 are able to hang defensively, then stick with them. However, if there’s a certain mismatch being exploited, I think you have to be willing to pull the trigger and adjust.

The Warriors old “death lineup” was an example of putting your best 5 out there, but the only reason it was able to function was Draymond showed he was capable of holding down the paint and protecting the rim.

2 Likes

I almost think TB sees imposing Virginia’s will from the defensive side.

2 Likes

If we are willing to feed the ball to Mr Huff in the post when he has a shorter defender on him, we could really dictate who the opposing team plays. Last year it seemed like Mr Tony and/or Mr Clark didn’t prioritize that and we often had to go smaller.

3 Likes

I don’t think Jay is much of a back-to-the-basket player tbh.

He’s much more effective as a screener where he can either dive to the rim or pop out to the 3 point line. And with Kihei’s ability to get downhill off screens I think that’s a very good fit between them.

3 Likes