London Johnson Contenders & Other 2023 Updates

10 now
3 leaving
4 coming in now = 11
5 coming in if London = 12
And Gardner is told don’t expect 30 min a game if you wanna return

1 Like

Three leaving isn’t guaranteed though right? Kihei, Kody, and Caffaro can all return technically I think. I mean, I think you’re right that there will be at least three departures (probably two guys declining fifth years and one guy transferring), but it’s not a set number yet.

And to be clear, I’m not worried about roster space at all - as I’ve said elsewhere, these things work themselves out - but just making sure I’m not forgetting anybody who has to depart at the end of this season.

2 Likes

I thought about that too. Next year, assuming Gardner comes back, but not Clark or Stattmann, you’ve got Beekman, Franklin, Gardner and Shedrick/Caffaro starting. Given Bennett likes to play 7-8 guys, the other 2-3 guys probably come from the group of Murray, Johnson, Traudt, Milicic and McKneeley. That assumption means McCorkle, Bond and Dunn wouldn’t get time.

Then the year after you assume Franklin, Gardner and Caffaro are gone. Front court rotation of Shedrick, Milicic and Traudt. Then Beekman and 3-4 of Murray, Johnson, McKneeley, McCorkle, Bond and Dunn. And any 2023 guys we might get.

Yeah, you’re right. He’ll start in 23-24 if he’s as good as advertised. Might even start in 22-23 if he beats out the other guys in his class and 3 guys who haven’t gotten off the bench this season.

1 Like

If he can shoot and play defense, he’ll play immediately. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A fear of mine is Tony’s too nice to tell Kody to move on and he clearly loves college and chooses to come back because he doesn’t have any professional prospects. Then we get another year of him eating minutes from the younger players.

1 Like

I doubt McCorkle comes back. If we give Stattmann another year then we deserve any potential down fall that comes our way, just not trying to win if he’s back.

5 Likes

Kody: “Coach Bennett, I love college and want to come back next year.”

Tony: “That’s great news, Kody! We have an open manager position.”

6 Likes

There’s just no scenario where Kody comes back and plays a lot that doesn’t lead to transfers as a result.

2 Likes

I meannnn Tony is loyal to a fault his upperclassmen so that scenario, while hilarious, is not close to how that convo would go.

CTB needs to put on his big boy pants and do what is best for putting together the team. Stattman has to go. If Johnson can reclassify then Clark has to go. The committment to these players was for 4 years, not 5. One of Bond or Dunn is likely redshirt. Traudt is listed on his HS roster as a SF. Not sure as 1st year if he will be ready to play as PF for us. Gardner is not a plus at the 4 position for us in terms of defense or rebounding. Worried about the 4/5 position for next year with only Shedrick and Papi on the roster. Milic does not appear to be a 4 either so far but may have potential? Love the idea of manning 1 through 3 spots with strong rotation of 6-3 to 6-6 athletic interchangable parts…Beekman, Armaan, McNeely, Johnson, Bond, and Taine. Just do not see a future for McCorkle at UVA.

2 Likes

Kody probably wants to try Aus or NZ pro leagues sooner rather than later to max out earning potential. I imagine he realizes he’s not improving by staying another year. If he graduates it’s a no brainer

3 Likes

In one of the post game press conferences not too long ago, Tony was talking about Kihei and it was very clear that he thought this is Kihei’s final year here. I don’t think we need to stress out about it.

I’m guessing Tony is very straightforward with the guys in the postseason one on one meetings. I’m thinking about the year we had Shayok and Thompson transfer out.

2 Likes

14 guys, and we only play 7. :roll_eyes:

Seriously, I don’t know how guys who have played four years could have a complaint. That’s Kihei and Kody. Even Papi got four years of college promised, although he sat one as a redshirt.

1 Like

HC3 sure would look nice on the team this year.

1 Like

Small ball 5? Rebounding is solid but we need shooting

He’s got to be good enough to play in the AUS or NZ leagues. Or somewhere closer to home. Or a low major school closer to home where he’d be able to start. With the talent upgrades we’re getting next year and projected improvement from the Ms, I can’t see any way he’s one of the best 7-8 guys to make the rotation.

Yeah I think it’s well known that Tony has honest conversations with his guys. So if he isn’t planning to play someone much the next year, he tells them. Usually they decide to transfer. Now if someone decides to stay anyway cuz they love Rugby Road or something, it’s not like Tony is going to pull their scholie if that’s what you all mean about getting tough.

Pretty sure if we had Coleman, we don’t have Gardner. I think for this year, that’d be a downgrade.

1 Like

Not London. Desmond Claude, who committed to Xavier.

1 Like

We need a Coleman type at PF for this team, this year evidenced by last night.

4 Likes