London Johnson Contenders & Other 2023 Updates

Lol still last 4 in apparently.

Little interesting quote from the below story (which I am blatantly stealing from HGN’s twitter feed to post here). From the convo, it does kind of sound like he’s made up his mind and is just working on his announcement - which would line up with everything else we’ve heard - but who knows:

“When asked what reasons will mean most in his decision, he said: “The main reason will be the connection to the coach. But also the style of play and how it fits my game and also if it will push me to get better. My main goal is to get to the NBA. It has to be a school that has good academics as well and also one that doesn’t have players when I get there so I can play right away when I get there.””

2 Likes

lol

8 Likes

No school fits the bill on “doesn’t have players” more than uva!

7 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Has he given any hints? I don’t have Twitter

London, please read our message boards during a game. We’ll quickly convince you that our players suck.

3 Likes

London Johnson is a 2023 recruit, right?

He may reclassify

Definitely a little different type of recruit than we usually go after, based on these comments. He knows he wants to come in and be the guy and we need someone like that

1 Like

True! Hopefully chemistry wise he works well with the team. Hopefully on the Kyle Guy/ Ty Jerome onions scale.

1 Like

Great article. Am glad hes gonna be a Hoo. Jammin

2 Likes

Really hope he commits here and will look forward to watching him, when he does, but all in all, I am hopeful we do have at least some players here when he gets here. 1 on 5 seems like a bridge too far.

Seriously though, good article. He loves Jazz and his mom is an oncologist. I didn’t know the latter (not that I’d paid much attention).

2 Likes

But they’re all returning and going to play 53 minutes/game. Except for the ones currently not playing, they’ll play -13 min/game.

Could his delayed announcement be related to reclassifying? I thought we were already in a 22 crunch going back to the Dunn signing? I’m sure there will be space but murky now.

There was a poster on the Sabre that claimed that was the case. No idea if its true but :man_shrugging:

These things work themselves out. If staff is telling London he can come in 2022, there will be space for him.

3 Likes

I had that same thought earlier. Maybe waiting to announce until he can be sure he can reclassify. And maybe he recently got his first semester grades and admissions took some time to review his file.

Doesn’t fit with the playing time comment though. Coming in with junior year Reece so he’ll get backup minutes for 2 years?

If he’s good as advertised then he will start alongside Reece by his second year at latest. Tony loves having multiple lead guards out there a la London/Brogdon, Jerome/Kihei, Reece/Kihei, etc

4 Likes

Thought I have, not even rising to the level of a guess:

Is this all correct?

• 10 current schollies (plus however many temporary schollies to walk ons)
  • 13 scholarship limit
  • 4 guys coming in
  • 3 guys eligible for super senior status
  • Which means, assuming no other departures, 2 super seniors can come back

So, stop there. Technically, it means we have to say goodbye to at least one kid who could otherwise come back, but that’s no big whoop. No ruffled feathers. No hits to team chemistry.

• Now, if we are fortunate enough to add 5 kids?
  • That means only one super senior can come back, and/or we have to say goodbye to someone else

So now we are in the realm of, given the way we seem to operate, needing to smooth out the PR, the team chemistry, and dare I say it, the thing we all have even despite the humility pillar: egos.

If I were a gambling man, and there were a way to get odds on this stuff, my money would be on “it’s path-smoothing time.”

2 Likes