London Johnson Contenders & Other 2023 Updates

Hmm. Not thrilled that was the game he got to see. But guess you can’t control that too much.

And yeah, I’m in the camp of “I’ll believe it when it happens.”

6 Likes

Yeah, it’d have been a lot better if we’d won by 1, but that was not a bad game overall for him to watch, especially the second half.

6 Likes

I disagree. Much better than watching our other home games this year. He got to see an electric atmosphere in the second half and the best our offense has looked all year. He saw Reece and Kihei attacking the basket.

If he’s a competitor he probably came away thinking he can be the closer this team needs down the road.

6 Likes

Yep and he sees a freshman that he’s likely to play with for three years break out.

5 Likes

All very fair. Definitely a better atmosphere than the blue-white scrimmage he attended, haha.

I just have some weird feelings about this recruitment. From his quotes and what we’ve heard, he’s a North Carolina guy who wishes that UNC hadn’t taken somebody else because that’s his dream school, and he probably wishes Duke had gone after him instead of Foster. If he picks us, it’s because his dream schools didn’t work out but he wants to play in the ACC and realizes NC State and Wake aren’t great programs right now. That’s fine with me - especially if he plays with an extra edge against the NC schools - but I guess I get less of the feeling of “I’m in love with this program” that seemed apparent in like the Traudt and McKneely recruitments. That’s not needed - I don’t care why guys end up here if they’re great and bought in - but it makes me feel like this one is more prone to some other school coming in late and stealing him.

But anyway, who knows. Will obviously be ecstatic if he commits.

3 Likes

I heard again over the weekend Johnson to UVa is done. And it’s been done for a while, just held off making it public. I trust who I heard the news.

I think the biggest question now is does he reclass to ‘22 or stay in ‘23.

17 Likes

Well that is good to hear.

Would be interesting if he reclassed. That means he overlaps with Beekman for two years (assuming Beekman doesn’t leave after three given his shooting is nowhere near pro level right now). I realize that’s maybe Tony’s preferred way to do PGs, but I’ve always wondered if a one year overlap isn’t better for pure PGs. But if Johnson can shoot, we may not see the awkwardness of the current PG overlap. And getting more shooting and ball handling on the team as quickly as possible seems like what we should always want.

1 Like

Have you heard anything about a Mama-D, Mama-Do player coming through here at any point?

Other than Johnson, I haven’t heard. Honestly, I just asked about LJ.

2 Likes

If it’s a done deal and has been for some time, why wait? Particulars and reclass can all be ironed out after you make it known.

3 Likes

No idea.

1 Like

Because it’s not us, probably Alabama

Source?

Where Are you seeing this?

If Johnson is truly seeking to reclassify it’s possible that the admissions office wants to see his final grades for the current grading period. Moving from the class of 2023 to the class of 2022 is a big change academically and you want to make sure he has the ability to come here earlier than expected and successfully make progress toward a degree. Academic requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences are a bit more demanding than NCAA requirements.

2 Likes

Still don’t get it. That’s a reason to not reclassify, not a reason to not commit. Unless the reclass is something he’s set on, and if he can’t here he will elsewhere.

Kids announce their commitment dates one month ahead all the time (basically what Johnson is doing saying he’s going to commit in the next 3 weeks). As long as coaches know they can commit whenever they want. Important dates, waiting for the commitment video to be edited, an opening in their schedule when they aren’t super swamped so they can schedule everything.

4 Likes

We’ve had several early commits that were done long before they went public. Pretty normal. The only thing coaches care about is that you don’t waste their in-person time. There’s been none of that activity with Johnson from anyone since he visited UVA.

14 Likes

None of what activity? Wasting coaches time? Or background work re reclass?

No in-person time from coaches. Nobody’s been to see him. I wouldn’t get hung up on the reclass stuff. He’s not picking a school based on that. It’s a secondary decision.

6 Likes