March 2023 - UVA Hoops

Yes, McIntire. wouldn’t surprise me if he graduates and moves on with his life. Doesn’t seem to love basketball.

1 Like

Will be a big time development year if both Reece and Armaan leave. I kind of think we keep both or lose both. Hope we have some NIL lined up

2 Likes

Shed taking the hard hedge to senior night is fantastic. Hedging his eligibility even

13 Likes

I don’t want to write the epilogue until I read the ending, but man. Forget the hoops potential. I suppose I’ve beaten that into the ground. But The student athlete potential? In my day, UVa rightfully beat its chest about the Barber twins being in the Comm school. Kadin is in the Comm school and the message is what? One of you type it, because my thoughts are sour even by my standards.

What’s the message?

4 Likes

If Armaan leaves, can we still keep his mom? She’s like the best fan ever.

17 Likes

Play more study less!

4 Likes

Maybe because it’s early but I’m confused - what’s bad about Shedrick being in the Comm school? Seems really impressive to me if he’s on track to graduate out of there. I’m super happy for him.

9 Likes

He’s doing senior day which is some indication the Kadin chapter of UVa hoops is ending (but not definitive proof, as we know)

2 Likes

Yeah, I got that - I just didn’t get what you meant by “the message”. Maybe it hasn’t worked out ideally on the court, but kid has a great a degree, will be a Hoo alum forever, and has given us some nice moments. I just hope if he leaves, it’s on decent terms, and he’ll still be fond of the program down the road.

5 Likes

I’m with you here, not quite sure what @haney is getting at.

I feel like Virginia and the athletics program hypes up the student athletes plenty. How much did we hear about Malcolm and his academic accolades? It felt like those almost overshadowed his on the court performance.

5 Likes

It’s times like these when I realize I’m a few standard deviations away from the median on pessimism and cynicism. If I have to type it, then I’m even more of a jerk.

So let me just go with: I agree that it’s super impressive that Kadin was able to play and to graduate McIntire (or at least on track).

1 Like

Wait, so you’re not gonna type something because it’ll make you sound like a jerk? This is new. :joy:

7 Likes

Speak Game Show GIF by ABC Network

4 Likes

The way I see it, Kadin came in to play ball and get a degree he got to do both. Has he lived up to potential? eh… But that’s sports sometimes things just don’t work. It’s not the way he was used or the how he was developed, he just is what he is at this point.

5 Likes

I think there’s very clearly a world where we’re losing Beekman, Franklin, Shedrick, Caffaro, and Murray. And to be honest I’d love at the very least for Beekman to be back, but I think next year will be really fun regardless.

At worst, we’ve got some holes to fill in the portal with plenty to sell, and we get to see a team loaded with top 100 talent get thrown into the fire to develop and hopefully peak by end of season. Ideally Beekman is there for continuity sake but what could end up being a down year is at least building toward something special. Much less papering over recruiting misses with low upside, veteran transfers

4 Likes

Participation in senior day is not indicative of whether a player will return or not. We saw kihei do senior day last year. It just means a decision hasn’t been made to return as of this moment.

6 Likes

Second time in less than 24 hours I thought “who?!?!”

1 Like

Ok, this will get to the nub: Alston survey data (granted, plaintiff side) says fans care more about connection to the university than whether guys get paid. I think that a student athlete being able to thrive in what’s thought to be one of our tougher majors and thrive in our hoops program at the same time would be a good indicator for “student athlete connection to the university.”

Instead we get what I guess are supposed to be nice sounding anecdotes in Intangible from TJ Grams who’s like “we set up an on grounds internship for our 4th year” and I’m like - you had to set that up? (Yes I’m cynical - tbh I don’t think I’ve ever been much of a jerk here, but I guess I do make acerbic jokes.)

100% too early to know anything for sure. And we need to wait and see, but this is the internet and I need something to talk about this morning.

I’m pretty confident, we will see Reece back at Virginia next year.

Armaan, JG, Kihei, BVP, Papi, Sheds all move on.

With that the average age of the Hoos goes from 34 to 20

6 Likes

Agree, as Gulf said, I am sure CTB encourages them to go ahead and do it. After the season is when final decisions are made

That said, and I said it last night, there will be a MAJOR opportunity for a portal 5 man to walk into a starting spot on what might be a pretty good team.

As others have said, I’d be surprised if both Reece and Armann go. I’d say high % at least one is back

5 Likes