Mayhem broke out in the Kansas St-Kansas game

As expected the suspensions are a joke. Forget the NCAA this shows just how weak the KU AD and President are.

4 Likes

Just heard ESPN say the KState player “broke an unwritten rule” making steal at the end. Maybe dumbest statement ever implying that kid got it all started.

6 Likes

If De Sousa and McCormack were playing at UVA my guess is they would both be gone. Those suspensions are a joke.

3 Likes

I had forgotten about this. Not the first time Kansas fans didn’t like that. Monmouth player was a celebrity for a week.

4 Likes

ha. yes. saw this too. anyone remember play to the whistle/ buzzer? Cant hate a kid for trying to make his mark in the waning seconds

4 Likes

I can’t help but wonder for the people who say the suspension was light what did they want? Expulsion? Banishment from the NCAA?

1 Like

If a fight between regular KU students broke out and it spilled into a classroom or lecture hall and one student stomped on another and another grabbed a chair but was held back from swinging it by a stander by, all while pushing and shoving students and professors out of the way…I want them to get what those students would get. And I bet it’d be more than not being able to attend the next 12 basketball games,

5 Likes

Its a KU student ran down the street and hip checked/boxed out another civilian in line at a store it’s grounds for assault. A hard foul is grounds for assault by that logic. Are you saying that any athlete who throws a punch in a game should be arrested? Caffaro threw a forearm shot during Monday’s game and got a tech. Is that too light?

2 Likes

A tech for a forearm in the back? A forearm in the back in response to the player trying to reinjure a thumb? I fine with Caffaro’s response and the tech.

There’s throwing a punch in the heat of battle and then there’s Rudy Tomjanovich being sucker punched and almost killed. That WAS assault in my opinion. I also don’t compare throwing a punch on the court to chasing someone off of it, stomping on them when they’re down or picking up a chair to swing it either, but maybe that’s just me.

4 Likes

I think it was way too light. I mean there was absolutely no reason for that too happen. Someone could have got hurt. I’ve seen brawls similar to that but everyone was drunk. I’m certainly no authority on something like that but I thought De Sousa should have at least sit out the rest of the year. McCormack actually was stomping someone and he got 2 games…

2 Likes

Fair enough i definitely dont agree with the idea if leveling assault charges for something that took place during a game. Sets a terrible precedent and I dont think a teenager should have their life ruined for a dumb mistake that resulted in minimum damage. I dont recall any injuries reported. I don’t recall the chair making contact with anyone.

Do you think all fights in all sports should be classified as assaults and the participants charged?

I’m being knitpickiy here but not to be a troll. 12 games is a massively long time and i see it as plenty severe.

2 Likes

If a Hoo chased another player off the court, stomped on them on the ground, and picked up chair to swing but didn’t only because coach Williford stopped him…what would you want coach Bennet to do?

I’d be fine never seeing that player suit up for UVA again.

And I realize I might be in the minority here, but the teenager argument holds little to no water with me. I’ve never stomped on someone. I’ve never picked up a chair to swing it at another human being. Not when I was 12, 17 or 36.

3 Likes

I gotta agree with @anon37693817

2 Likes

Well i have. I’ve been in fights and scrapes and im not bragging about them. Im very open about the fact that I’ve made dumb choices in my life thay have been harmful to me and to others. Im far from perfect and am grateful to have people kind enough to show me mercy and give me a second opportunity rather than judge me for not fitting the image they created for me. I learned from my mistakes and benefitted by having mentors who could talk to me and help me understand why i did what i did and how i got into that situon.

To kick a kid out of school and and potentially ruin their life because of a dumb or irrational decision I believe is harsh and missing out on a teachable moment.

The kids should be punished which they were and the tapes will live on message boards like this and YouTube forever.

4 Likes

I agree that everyone has a right to a second chance but this was De Sousa’s (the guy that picked up the chair) second chance. I heard on ESPN earlier that the NCAA gave him a two year suspension for something else a while back, and he shouldn’t even be playing now. He should’ve “laid low” but he didn’t. He had an opportunity to redeem himself but he just didn’t use it wisely

3 Likes

Of course they’d all be off the team if them played for Bennett. But that’s not the standard at Kansas. You cannot expect lesser schools to meet Virginia’s standards. Remember, Kansas pays players. Once you’ve started down the slippery slope of deceit and corruption, you don’t suddenly develop a moral compass just because one of your players ( or, hell, all of them) gets in a brawl.

You just revert back to your norm: what’s best for Kansas basketball? Everything else be damned.

3 Likes

I definitely agree that everyone deserves a second chance and perhaps I was being a little harsh when I said kick them off the team for good. This wasn’t a normal skirmish or scuffle between 2 players who lose their cool on the court. This went into a fan section with several players fighting among the fans. I actually have more of a problem with McCormack only getting 2 games for stomping someone on the ground. I do believe however that it was a good thing someone took that stool away before it was used.De Sousa appeared ready to use it. This makes me wonder once again what Austin Nichols did to get kicked off the team at UVA.That was the end of his collegiate career and I dont know whatever happened to him

3 Likes

De Sousa’s suspension was for his family taking cash from Adidas and the NCAA receded the suspension because it turned out to be a thin case at best. Nothing to do with violence physical behavior. I do agree, that given that he should have been more aware of his situation. But to me that’s where culture does come in. I’m not going to say that Kansas is a morally corrupt program or anything like that. Paying players or players taking money is far from morally corrupt in my book, when i think of terrible things a player getting some cash when they are making a school billions is very low on the list.

I do believe that culture helps to build accountability. CTB has created a culture that holds players accountable and not just by striking them with the rod. Players learn from their mistakes and they learn the “why” behind their actions this allows them to change their behavior and hopefully prevent future actions.

It also bothers me that we are putting the Hoos on some sort of mythical soap box. Yes CTB is amazing and he is building outstanding men that are going on to contribute to society in amazing ways. However, that was not always the case with UVa like every other school there have been moments. The law of average kick in and tell us that eventually something stupid will happen. For as good as CTB is and as stellar a program he runs, anything is possible and we never know what’s going on behind the scenes with a kid that could put them over the edge.

3 Likes

Personally.
Just don’t fight in the frickin disabled section pushing fans out of the way.
Pretty dumb situation all together.
Personally think the suspensions should have been all season the the Kansas player and 10 for that KSU street clothes guy fighting Kansas player

2 Likes

To add some levity here I remember my first year going down to Cameron and Crotty and Bobby Hurley kinda got into it. I was in the game and everyone kinda squared off so I looked for the nearest Duke guy just in case. I looked up and up and up as I was paired against Alaa Abdelnaby at a cool 6’10 to 6’1 mismatch. Lucky for him cooler heads prevailed! hahahaha

6 Likes