Most-Impactful Men’s Basketball Player ‘20-‘21

One on one, I agree with Tu, but early on he was more than occasionally lost on where he was supposed to be on the backside of the pack line or when he went to help and the ball was kicked to his man and E wasn’t able to close out on his man shooting the 3. He got more comfortable in it as time when on - same thing with just about everybody that comes into the program. The pack line is so much more than individual ability to guard.

1 Like

I don’t expect Kadin to give us big minutes at the 5 but I do expect him to get his feet wet early with a little of what should be an increased y Tu ole for Caffaro.

I will add, Stattman’s handle is as good if not better than Key’s. On occasion, Tony utilized Key to isolate a less mobile player.

Absolutely agree he is not Wilkins - he can be a much more versatile offensive force.

2 Likes

Caffaro was really impressive in the international tournament after he committed. I love the way he can take the ball under the basket and power up and score. Huff and Diakite were good on lobs but we haven’t had a guy that could power up and score like he has done. But that said I think his minutes will widely vary based on the opponent. He will always be effective vs UNC but probably not play at all against a team like VT last year where everybody is small and shooting 3’s.

4 Likes

I also believe that Casey will be just fine. TB has a lot of guys come in who can score but have to be taught defense. Casey can defend already and showed offense in HS. I see no reason why he won’t take a big step forward this year and become a well rounded player.

2 Likes

Gill was the last big I remember that consistently out muscled opponents. Diakite obviously had remarkable athleticism, but he used it differently. Salt was incredibly strong, but obviously had some offensive limitations. Gill was one of my all-time favorites.

9 Likes

Gill is one of my all-time favorite Wahoos.

3 Likes

I believe Morsell will have the biggest impact of the 4 you mentioned . His perimeter defense is already great and once his shots start dropping he is going to have a major impact on this season. All he needs is to get his confidence back. I also believe we will see a huge jump from Mckoy . His hard work will show on the court as we might see a big jump in all parts of his game. He was a big scorer in high school and his shooting is way underrated. His shooting will surprise many and his defense and board work will earn him a lot more minutes this year. I may be wrong but I’m sure looking forward to it

5 Likes

Exactly. He really has been Tony’s Best interior player overall. Mike Scott was the best interior and exterior player.

1 Like

Man this discussion just highlights the brilliance that is CTB. Building around upperclassmen, using redshirts, managing the roster, player development. Look at how many players have the opportunity to step up this year. If just a few of them deliver we will be very tough to beat.

5 Likes

Was speaking loosely to make a point. Trying to find a way to compliment Kodys offense when it was clicking. Wasn’t the best choice of words on my part

To be clear Id take Casey over Kody 10 outta 10 times.

2 Likes

I think if anyone thinks stattman will be any type of meaningful contributor they need to take the blue and orange shades off. Skinny, unathletic, with a slow and low jumper. I expect Hausers minutes at the 3 as well as JAR to eat all the minutes he got last year.

3 Likes

I agree 100% and love this so much about our program. I would rather watch these kidds’ buy-in, see the light come on for some and then see the fruits of everyone’s hard work. So much more fun for me than seeing entitleD players that come and go with never really becoming a part of what UVA and CTB’s program are about. Just using UVA to get to their destination without the full-benefit or at least a good start.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Just watch his highlights from last year on YouTube and you will get a glimpse of why CTB played him, especially the BC game.

1 Like

I’d say his stats speak for themselves but yeah he played well in that atrocious BC game. I also think he played because of a lack of other options. There was literally nobody else.

6 Likes

He has potential and there have have been brief glimpses of it. But there’s no indication it will be consistent. I honestly thought last yr was the year for him to break out after a solid summer but it didn’t happen and worst of all he appeared to lose confidence as the year went on.

2 Likes

I think that’s my biggest issue with him. Most times he stood in one spot and didn’t move. I know he can’t catch and shoot as he obviously has a set shot but he never cut. He would get the ball and try to get rid of it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Id agree with that. He looked very stagnent on offense. His best highlights all come from him in transition. Which unfortunately is not UVas style

1 Like

I agree and that will determine whether he gets passed by or not.

2 Likes

Can you imagine if Tugard said this. LMAO

4 Likes