šŸ’° Name-Image-Likeness (NIL) Discussion

Thank Havs you just exquisitely said what I was trying to convey. My biggest concern is how do we get the most money into the players hands. If going through a schools sanctioned channel means the school/channel gets 20% or more I have a serious problem with that. Itā€™s one thing for an agent to take a cut they are in the money making business, but for a school to assume the role of agent, or perhaps worse farm it out to a private group I have serious issues with that.

Your second question raises an interesting point. While I donā€™t honestly care what qualifies as permissible services, a kid can get paid 10k to show up at my kids HS once a month and run a practice, or I put him on payroll to keep the gators out of Scott Stadium. Makes no difference, but my concern comes in, and I guess this touches on your third question, if we do not define what are permissible services does that mean it is then up to interpretation, and if so, who determines and enforces that? Can I call in to a hotline and rat out a school? Then who has the hearing?

Now that I wrote all that, Iā€™m realizing I should have just agreed with Havs and let it go.

2 Likes

I think the NCAA wants the chaos because they donā€™t want the responsibility of policing it. They hope it forces congress to step in.

And this Cavs Future thing seems to just copy what other schools are dong, only maybe not taking it as far. Helping broker deals, but not doing the collective fund like others are. Thatā€™s where it gets shady.

6 Likes

The first part I agree with 100% NCAA wants no part of this and wants to place the work/results on someone elseā€™s plate. The NCAA finds itself in an interesting place in recent years where itā€™s necessity is fading so they are walking carefully to maintain as much power as they can.

1 Like

If i wanted to give money directly to LRA and let them allocate the money to players would that be legal?

2 Likes

Yes. thats done

1 Like

#NILRA

4 Likes

Thatā€™s legal. We had a bunch of players on the site where people could donate $100 and players got $100. We got very few takers, a handful at most. So we assumed people werenā€™t interested in itā€¦

2 Likes

Well DM me

1 Like

Or just have HGN get in touch with me.

1 Like

I see Mincerā€™s has some ā€˜jersey teesā€ of a few players. Does anyone know how much of that money goes to the players? May have already been asked as this thread has been going on for a couple of months but just curious.

2 Likes

The NCAAā€™s going to be waiting a long time for that. This legislation isnā€™t a priority for either party. Thereā€™s no big money lobbyists that stand to benefit working on this. And it wonā€™t confer some sort of tangible benefit to a large swath of a districtā€™s voting age population.

And frankly, thereā€™s a shit ton of way more important stuff that needs Congressional attention right now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m okay with players getting paid but my biggest concern comes back to return on investment.

Most companies canā€™t justify throwing money at some unproven kid year after year. However, with all the sports gambling, suddenly the return on investment is asking one of the players you sponsor to shave points or throw a game and then make bank on a bet. Thatā€™s a good return on investment.

The only good news is there are laws against it and statistical tools for detecting this, if people are paying attention.

1 Like

Definitely some rumors percolating about UVA being behind everyone else and losing guysā€¦
No reason a school canā€™t design it so they get spending money and still focus on player developmentā€¦. Schools can pay athletes $5900 a year for good grades ā€¦ is UVA among those doing that?? Nope.

Less than 1/4 of schools are paying that academic bonus money and only a few in the ACC. The legislation outpaced operating budgets. Miami is able to pay it because they took large chunks from their health system profits. Itā€™s simply not there for UVA or VPI. Will it be? Maybe some day but Virginia is doing all it can to keep the lights on during a pandemic rn.

They fell woefully behind in the facilities arms race and are having to address that area now. Thatā€™s totally on the previous and current administration but itā€™s yet another reason thereā€™s less cash flow for NIL initiatives. Sometimes these things have aggravating and mitigating circumstances and require a nuanced look. Itā€™s not as simple as ā€œUVA should be doing xyz but refuses to do it.ā€ Try looking into it rather than relying on those many-people-are-saying-rumors.

2 Likes

I was simply stating what isā€¦. UVA is behindā€¦ opine away as to whyā€¦. We are losing players because of itā€¦ again - opine away as to why. Having spending cash as a college student makes it so much less stressfulā€¦. It was stressful for me and I would have transferred in a heartbeat if offered 50k a year NIL money.

1 Like

Iā€™m simply background you didnā€™t bother to offer. Opine away as to why you couldnā€™t

1 Like

Can you expand upon how UVA is just ā€œtrying to keep the lights onā€?

Like what would it take to tap into that billion dollar endowment. Actually curious.

Much of that endowment is already apportioned and carved out for specific uses/areas/schools. There is a ā€œrainy dayā€ fund so to speak, but shock of all shocks, Virginia Athletics ainā€™t that high on the totem pole. Itā€™s varying amounts coming from hundreds of donors and sources. Youā€™re not going to be able to take money from an endowed faculty chair and shift it to fill in athletic salaries. Thatā€™s an oversimplified example, but you get the gist.

On the first point, Athletic departments generally operate with very little profit. Thereā€™s certainly some funny math involved, but there was a financial study done several years ago that had UVA and FSU as the only ACC schools operating in the black. UVA barely so. New apparel and TV deals have helped quite a bit, but UVA lost millions during the pandemic and will likely continue to do so at a lesser rate moving forward in the near future. Add to that trying to keep up with other conferences that have more lucrative rights deals, having to continue to pay sky rocketing salaries AND facility upgrades AND NIL considerations to keep pace, and youā€™re looking at ACC/PAC12/BIG12 departments really struggling. Attendance is also down across almost every program.

The reality is that UVA is expected to operate like a big boy athletic program. Its results certainly are and have been, but the new landscape will pose incredible challenges. This is an inflection point for college Athletics and I donā€™t think many realize what their favorite teams are staring down the barrel

5 Likes

I think the funny math issue is not trivial: College Sports Programs Are Playing Poor, Here's How to Fix It

We are working with Cavalier Futures on ways to contribute. We are setting up a few levels for subscriptions.

The Student Athletes will jump on podcasts, come to events, do autograph signingsā€¦

Weā€™ll setup the subscription hereā€¦100% of funds will go to students.

Example: Player does a podcast for the NIL Subscribers; u get access if u subscribe. Player announces autograph signing, u get access if u subscribe.

Weā€™re open to ideas as well;so drop em here.

More info coming soon!

10 Likes