šŸ’° Name-Image-Likeness (NIL) Discussion

Hooters is underrated

1 Like

The restaurant chain or just in genera!? :joy:

1 Like

hahahaha. Yessir! The chain. Best one I been to was in Milwaukee somehow

1 Like

That is random. We used to hold team dinner at the one in Wilmington NC during the Cape Fear Tournament on 4th of July. Eventually we changed affiliation to the Tilted Kilt for better service.

1 Like

Yall talkin bout service!

1 Like

How much of these numbers are just named up? What is the likelihood he actually sees that much?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1516830316563886083

At Kentucky it is very likely. 2 an stretch. 1 maybe easily

2 Likes

I mean, he was also the national player of the year in college basketball. So not just another KY player even. That amount doesn’t really shock me at all.

2 Likes

I’m skeptical of NIL numbers. There’s very little transparency, and there are lots of reasons why folks involved might want to leave the impression that numbers are higher than they are.

I’m not skeptical Sheeb is getting paid a lot. I am skeptical that it’s $2 million.

2 Likes

I know some Kentucky fans … $2 mil is a low estimate … they don’t care about ROI at all except for UK wins. That’s it.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1516859549239681027

That’s crazy. They’re outbidding the NBA.

7 Likes

Here’s the bigger problem - the top 10 name recognition schools with large, rabid fan bases will be able to out-NIL everyone, which then means the 10 largest schools get better athletes who have the better NIL potential, particularly to those 10 schools, then those 10 schools win everything. Sort of like SEC football writ large or Duke when it comes to the semesterhood being able to generate $ in synergy with the top players. At the end, I believe it will destroy collegiate athletics as we have come to know them (and I’m not saying that players shouldn’t be able to ā€œearnā€ NIL $, but right now, it’s the schools facilitating if not fronting payments that were impermissible a year ago).

1 Like

This was already happening lol. Kentucky had the best transfers and recruits and lost to St Peters.
A lot of former top 100 kids are transferring to mid majors (almsot every midmajor in the tournament had a former power 5 player contributing) and kids out of HS are going more towards that path now as bigger schools recruit transfers.

It’s not about winning. It’s about building a personal brand. Winning, at best, is secondary.

Wow, Cavinder twins to the ACC

2 Likes

Would love to know the NIL vs Basketball influences on this choice

4 Likes

It was free room and board and getting to live somewhere nice that also helps their earnings.

2 Likes

Building off of @MaineWahoo 's post:

I don’t think we are going to win any NIL bidding wars with any serious NIL bidders, but my view is we don’t necessarily need to win. We need to show that we can be competitive.

I’ve said this before, but we need to stop pretending we are Charlottesville High when it comes to this stuff. We are a big state school with a 15k+ arena that plays on national TV for almost every game and won a natty a few years ago, with wealthy alumni all throughout the mid-Atlantic. We send lots of kids to the NBA. If a kid’s concern is making $$ from hoops, in the short, medium, or long term, we should have an answer that’s commensurate with our standing in the sport. Which doesn’t mean ā€œcome to UVa and get a lamboā€, it just means, ā€œcome to UVa and your options to promote yourself and put yourself in a great position for future pro opportunities that take a backseat to nobody (except maybe 5-7 or so bluebloods).ā€

6 Likes

I mean we had Lebron James in jpj for a game a few years ago. We get as big of a spotlight as anyone and we need to advertise that without just dropping bags. The hoops Instagram has 100k followers. We have tens of thousands of alumni and hoops is king at uva. None of this requires dropping bags

6 Likes

I wonder if we could *also sell an opportunity to be managed/networked with some high value individuals such as Amy and John Griffin of Blue Ridge Capital, if you want to get into Comedy and acting then Tina Fey etc etc…Honestly this whole thing is a slippery slope *but is this how we will need to play?