NBA Early Draft Entry / G-League Discussion (Formerly 2022 Recruiting Offers)

3rd offer of 22 incoming…?

2 Likes

yes

1 Like

He feels like a good fit

1 Like

Another one

9 Likes

Seems like the Covid pause has given the staff a unique opportunity to do some recruiting

4 Likes

Some recruiting talk on the J-Willy Show. He said he expected a couple new '22 offers to go out soon.

4 Likes

Guessing Nunez & Traudt? Longshot Maliq Brown?

Definitely involved with Maliq, possible for sure. He’s off to a really good start to the season.

In case anyone is desperate for hoops to watch. Blue Ridge vs Christ School (NC). Clash of high major PF recruits, Maliq Brown vs DeAnte Green. Brown shut him down in the 1st half. Of course, Kobe Jerome playing too.

3 Likes

DeAnte Green was one I was hoping we would get involved with. But as Tu, and I believe you as well told me, DeAnte Green was always going to be NC State or UNC bound. Having watched him recently though, he isn’t as athletic as I thought he was.

yeah watching him head to head vs Brown puts the athleticism gap into perspective. If they want the next Darion Atkins, Brown can be that guy.

5 Likes

My random un-informed thoughts from that game:

1. Brown is a very good defender. Completely controlled Green and was frequently disrupting passes. Can see why we see him in the Akil/Darion mold. Only negative was the multiple times he lunged/reach-in and picked up completely unnecessary fouls. But young guys do that sometimes.

2. Wasn’t super impressed with Brown on the offensive end. Realize that the team wasn’t running things for him and he was mostly setting screens, but there was too much time where he was just kind of standing flat-footed watching what was going on around him. Stared at a lot of shots and didn’t try and position himself for the offensive boards very much either. Also failed to convert on two wide open drives to the hoop (one was a failed dunk). Felt kind of strange given his effort level on the defensive end.

3. While a small sample size, Brown’s free throw stroke looked pretty solid. Hit 3/4 and form looked alright.

4. DeAnte Green was not impressive at all. From that performance you wouldn’t think he was ranked 67 or that he’d have the offer list he does. But maybe just an off game for him/testament to Brown’s defensive skill.

5. ‘Greenies’ is an absolutely terrible team name and it was infuriating to have to listen to it be said so often by the commentators.

4 Likes

Yeah Brown really gave vibes that if he were here, we would probably be playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end. Which has been a trait of our team at times. I really wish we would recruit confident and aggressive players at all 5 positions and then reign them in some, like Jabri, then recruit passive players who will just end up being good role players but also still passive and just a waste of space on the court when we find ourselves in a drought or in a position where we need a bucket somewhere.

@HoozGotNext Do you know if there has been anything more than the June 15th contact with Collin Smith at all? Traudt would be a HUGE get too give how aggressive he is as the big guard at the 4. Derek Lively who we reached out to like last month would also be the perfect big in our system with how springy and mobile he is both on hedges and on screen and slips. But the one and done talk is concerning of course maybe. Not in that we shouldn’t recruit him (we should absolutely) but in that they might not see us as the ideal spot. Hopefully we give guys like Felix Okpara and Mouhamed Gueye looks. Mobile Mamadi bigs.

I figure since I named droped a lot of names I might as well drop short and sweet highlights of each

Collin Smith Top 50 2022 Colin Smith At Elite 14 - YouTube

Derek Lively: https://twitter.com/DushawnLondon1/status/1320420700587438082

Mouhamed Gueye: Mouhamed Gueye 6'11 C '22 - Elite Run Highlights - He's NEXT Up!! - YouTube

Felix Okpara: Pro Insight: Tale of the 📼 | 2022 prospect Felix Okpara | 12.7.19 - YouTube

1 Like

Assistants keep in touch with all those guys. I don’t think Smith fits what they’re prepared to recruit but is a type they probably will end up recruiting later. The way TB does things, he seems like a tough eval to me. I don’t know what he is. Like Willy said on the show, they don’t know all of what they need yet.

Got it. Thank ya.

Right on cue Colin Smith mentions UVA.

Who are some of the newer schools in the mix?

“Virginia, Butler, and Georgia.”

3 Likes

LOL I was about to say. The universe heard me and responded. Wished they would have responded to like the multitude of other things and not this specific thing though…

1 Like

Is Braun on Kansas a decent player comp for McKneely? Guess Brain might be bigger but he looks to have a similar gait and is a good shooter.

I don’t think Braun is that similar to him. Both of them are heck of athletes and good shooters. Braun however doesnt really have a fast release. Inbetween a fast release and a wind up shot. McKneely doesn’t get his shot off lightning quick like guy but he is damn close and also 4 inches taller/gets more elevation on his jumper as well so he gets it off with ease.

For reference McKneely
Isaac McKneely on Instagram: "Bag work 🎒" (guy in purple is Cam Johnson of UNC/Phoenix suns)

1 Like