NBA Early Draft Entry / G-League Discussion (Formerly 2022 Recruiting Offers)

Yea I don’t see much Kyle in McKneely. At least within the spectrum of top shooters. Think they move differently, handle differently, shots look different, jump differently, etc. Taylor looks much more like a bigger version of Kyle.

McKneely seems like a slightly smaller but more athletic Joe Harris. The handle that he uses to get to his shot, ability to score at all 3 levels, etc. He’d probably handle the ball more in this offense than Joe did. Pair this kid with a true PG and a versatile 4/5 and that class will be legit.

1 Like

I do agree that it looks like Taylor may have even modeled his shot after Guy’s. Same release and motion. With Taylor the question is can he beat his man one on one and how fast is he side to side.

3 Likes

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/austin-nunez-s-recruitment-grows-well-beyond-texas-borders

What he said about the ball being the PG’s hands often caught my attention; hasn’t this been a sticking point for some guard recruits in the past? Or has that narrative changed already before this year?

Correct, and in a big way.

3 Likes

Nice to see some residual benefits of winning the national championship through going spread-pick-and-roll over and over down the stretch.

Thanks. Have you seen him play in person? STAB has some other tall players but I have not seen STAB play.

Kyle is in the NBA. He looks like a bigger version of Kyle?

I personally have not seen him play (I dont count watching highlights or outdated film as watching them play in person). Just what others have told me and what can be pointed out from watching film.

Justin Taylor can be an elite player and having the opportunity to work out with someone like Damin Altizer at this early stage in his development pays huge dividends down the road. Just not a lot of being able to create 1 on 1 and when there is a drive its a little slow. But of course this could all be rectified by now who knows.

He is taller and his shot looks like Kyle’s. Not saying he is necessarily as good as Kyle was coming out of high school.

20 Likes

Hmmmmm methinks we’re in good position here

1 Like

The only way we could be in better position is if McNeely was a blood relation to CTB…lol.

5 Likes

@JoeBoxley threw some numbers in a spreadsheet. So I wrote a blog about it.

9 Likes

Do we know the main competition for McKneely? Would guess Kentucky if they get serious about him and maybe West Virginia as the home state school?

1 Like

I would guess Indiana. He visited there last year too and they’re trying. I don’t think WVU is that much of a factor. Huggins has to recruit him a little and I’m sure McKneely will say all the right things but it’s really not a great situation for him. As long as TB stays after him, UVA will be hard to top no matter who jumps in.

12 Likes

I’ll say in talking to Osborne, it was clear he and the McKneely camp appreciate how Virginia have approached Isaac’s recruitment in comparison to other schools. Could hear in his voice. Number of times he said “it’s really… interesting how different schools approach recruiting.” lol

12 Likes

Saw this pop up on Austin Nunez. Doesn’t seem to be any different than the other recent interviews with him. Too early and too vague to glean much. Only slight concern would be allusions to playing fast and being let loose as positives, but most kids talk generically about those things, so who knows.

https://stockrisers.com/s/260/four-star-junior-austin-nunez-discusses-his-recruitment

1 Like

Assuming we won’t be on the list, right? I know we have been mentioned but not sure how interested we are.