NBA Offseason 2020

Thought it would be good to start a new discussion thread since the NBA draft is in less than 3 weeks on November 18th. On this mock draft board, Mamadi is projected to go at 53! Seems like he has jumped up in rank compared to months ago.

Here is a link to the mock draft. 2020 NBA Mock Draft - NBA Draft Room

3 Likes

Why did Tyus Jones leave if he’s projected late second round?

1 Like

Cause another year of CBB won’t improve his draft stock…he will just be a year older…

5 Likes

They had him going in the first round in first projections I saw after the season was canceled

1 Like

Rankings as a recruit (247sports) for the multi-year college players.

Obi Toppin Unranked
Tyrese Haliburton #172
Devin Vassell #200
Kira Lewis #39
Saddiq Bey #137
Aaron Nesmith #64
Jalen Smith #16
Desmond Bane Unranked
Daniel Oturu #50
Robert Woodard #63
Grant Riller Unranked
Killian Tillie #123

Those are the 1st rounders. Point of it all, if they aren’t one and done all the predictions of if or when recruits will make the NBA are bunk. No one saw most of those coming.

11 Likes

Are you sure about the use of “all” predictions as being bunk. I think jalen smith on your list is not really a great example…to me he is the perfect example of a highly rated recruit, who while had flaws that did not make him a OAD, but worked on his game and is pretty solid first round talent after 2 years… plenty of people predicted he would be a nba player before playing a single college game…

lol With that list, you’re really going to focus on the one outlier? Jalen could have easily entered last year. Decided to come back, and I assume the gamble helped his position. There are two types of recruits, those that enter college with a draft status and those that don’t. Predicting outcomes for those in the second category is next to impossible. Really all I’m saying.

It’s a question I get all the time when talking about recruits. How long will they be in college? Four years or until they’re on draft boards is the answer for almost all the players we recruit.

5 Likes

One thing I found encouraging is Duke’s star Tre Jones who probably has the most name recognition in the ACC this past year is slotted just one spot ahead of Mamadi. I know there are all kinds of other variables that are factored into this equation, but still, with all the press and publicity Duke gets, it kind of makes me feel like UVA is really making big strides and gaining recognition in how good Bennett is at developing well rounded basketball players.

3 Likes

Well, while UVA has been making major strides with the whole player development thing, I wouldn’t say Tre Jones is an example of this. Unfortunately for Tre, I think his brother was a better prospect than him (and they are very similar to each other) and the NBA has already seen what his brother has to offer after a few years in, which is a solid second or third PG off the bench. The mocks I’ve seen tho have Tre going late first-early second.

2 Likes

Tre Jones was a 5 star who was ranked #15 in the country

2 Likes

You did say “all”. While your list proves that prospects can emerge from nowhere even while playing for programs without Duke level exposure… I don’t think that all future nba draft evaluations are bunk even if the odds are very against them being very predictive of the future…that’s all I was getting at…

17 Likes

Diakite being a real NBA prospect is a testament to all things Virginia basketball. Fantastic stuff

14 Likes

No doubt. It’s hard to remember how raw and inexperienced he was when he showed up.

5 Likes

When I see Virginia basketball I include the competitiveness and work put in by players on their own games. The team has the tools and Mamadi made himself into a pro prospect. Is just so impressive

8 Likes

That’s also Mamadi’s high school coach, for context.

5 Likes

Not sure where else to put this, but this is significant for Joe’s chances of staying in Brooklyn:

2 Likes

How in the world can the Nets absorb his salary

3 Likes

Goodbye Levert Dinwiddie and Jarret Allen. But also there is only one ball and 3 players who need the ball in their hands. I saw some speculation on twitter that you take Harden anyways and then if things don’t work out you trade Kyrie at the midway trade deadline.

1 Like

That oddly makes sense on the trade Kyrie of things go crazy. From an offensive perspective that’s silly good and toss in a joey harris who can catch and shoot from the corner heck of a group

2 Likes