NBA Playoffs Second Round Live Thread

With all the Hoos in the NBA now out of the bubble, I figured it’s about time for a new thread for the second round. There’ve already been a number of thrilling second round contests, not least tonight’s dramatic game between the Celtics and Raptors.

Additionally, here’s our first round wrap up pod where we talk about the first few games of the second round as well: Quick 1st round recap for Hoos in the bubble. Devon Hall last Hoo in Orlando + more - Locker Room Access

I’m wondering if y’all have thoughts/predictions/rooting interests as to the teams that come out of the East and West. Personally I have no real horse in the race, but am hoping for a Lakers v Celtics finals.

3 Likes

I’ve gone all in on Miami. They’ve become my favorite team to watch that’s left. Jimmy Butler is on a mission, and like I said before they kind of remind me of last year’s Raptors. It’s strange, and seeing how they have the Bucks out of rhythm is pretty entertaining.

I’ve also enjoyed watching the Nuggets, Running your offense through a point 5 is a fun wrinkle, and Jamal Murray has been on a tear that’s fun to watch. Although I don’t think they can beat the Clippers.

Overall I think the Clippers make the Finals if PG can find any sort of rhythm.

A Clippers Heat Final would make me happiest just to see Butler and Lenard go head to head, could be an epic showdown.

2 Likes

Im on the Celtics Bandwagon. Huge fan of their defense and ball movement. Spoelstra is one of the most underrated coaches in NBA history.

Can we talk about how Brad put in Tacko Fall to use his height to make the inbounds pass harder, but then Tack put his hands apart like a field goal post?

3 Likes

Haha I didn’t even think about that with Tacko but he totally did make the largest set of human goalpost ever.

I wanted to give Spoelstra crap back in the day with the Heatles etc. But honestly he’s maintained a great program down there. An underrated coach for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah Spo is so good. Heat-Celtics would probably be the best ECF matchup, though I love the Raps and Nick Nurse. I’m not as down on Bud as other people, but he’s definitely 4th-best in terms of in-game strategy and adjustments out of the ECF. I do want to see Giannis in the finals because I want to see the MVP play as much as possible, but Heat-Celtics or Heat-Raptors may be more compelling in terms of the chess match aspects.

Nuggets-Clips doesn’t excite me too much, I think the Nuggets are really hurting from not having enough 2-way wings, with Barton out and Harris’s shooting lost at sea. I am looking forward to Rockets-Lakers, I think Rockets could be a really tricky matchup on both ends for the Lakers, who like to play big. Who’s the Harden stopper on LAL?

2 Likes

Great assessment. I’m not a big Bud fan either. I think he’s a good defensive mind, but honestly the Bucks offense does not impress me outside of watching Giannis be Giannis. They are stagnant and sloppy in the half court despite having reliable outside shooters. I love Nick Nurse, and think he got a ton out of a severely undermanned team this year. Heat-Celtics would be a great matchup and two great coaching minds and great talent on the court.

I totally agree about the Nuggets, they got lucky facing a Utah team that was hurt, and is also likely at their ceiling. The Clippers should blow by them in 5. I’ve heard a lot of people say they like the Houston-Lakers series, but I don’t think it’s going to be close. Unlike OKC, the Lakers know how to use their bigs on the inside. I think they will force Houston to adapt instead of the other way around. Harden may get his, but Harden is also rounding into playoff Harden which means he’s streaky. LeBron should look to hammer them inside and AD should do the same. And with real shotblockers in the middle that will slow Westbrook’s drives to the hoop.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Man… i said exactly that to my wife last night.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/touredetrap/status/1302300268827234305?s=21

4 Likes
4 Likes

Lol. Also Brook Lopez kicked his leg out

1 Like

Hot Take. Bucks have better ball moveand more agressive without Giannis. Trade him now and build around small ball core

1 Like

That sure was a different team out there today and both points you made are exactly what I seen too

1 Like

That’s a spicy take! I was impressed that they didn’t roll over, but I think they can play this way with Giannis too. Though they really need to mothball any lineup with Giannis that isn’t him and four shooters.

1 Like

I gave that take half mocking. And agree the move should be adapt to play more fluidly and agressive with Giannis. I wouldn’t bank on 36 from Middleton nightly

This Rockets’ performance is absurd. We are literally watching the game transform with the emphasis on 3pt shooting

3 Likes

In light of Milwaukee and Houston fall-out, this clip from Bob Myers (Warriors GM) on playoff basketball hits on so much

3 Likes

That fucking block by Bam. Holy shit.

4 Likes

anyone else take Nuggets tonight with me?

3 Likes

I was hoping that Denver would win and am looking forward to Jokic vs. Davis…however LeBron will be tough.

1 Like