NCAA Tournament Live Thread

Yea think you are correct and that first article you linked nails it. Drew comes across as holier than thou. Tony is genuine in his faith.

2 Likes

You won’t believe this, but I saw a poster on the UNC Board a while back that claimed the Tony schtick was all contrived and he was really a blowhard @sshole. He also said this wasn’t conjecture… he actually met him once and hated him from the start. LOL!

2 Likes

Some people are so cynical they can’t believe there are actually genuine people out there.

2 Likes

I know, right?! Classic case of projection, I’d wager. Unfortunately there are plenty of miserable SOBs who just can’t accept that some people are the real deal. I would love to have been present for Tony’s interaction with that dude (assuming it even happened). I would wager a large sum that Tony did absolutely nothing to foster the impression he’s a phony and a blowhard.

3 Likes

Perhaps it was actually @PhonyBennett and he got duped?

8 Likes

I had the same thought! Sounds plausible.

3 Likes

This place is way to chummy considering our program is falling apart

Baylor is the first team since Maryland to win without a burgerboy (Darn you kyle guy). However 4 of their players last night were transfers… maybe that’s the new bench mark LOL (first team to win without a transfer in the age of the portal).

2 Likes

On my part, its a little bit of envy for why I dislike Gonzaga. I’m old enough to admit it. They have a good coach, run a seemingly clean program, and recruits consistently buy into the program. They also place in a sub par league but get a ton of respect each year. (I know, they deserved it this year and for many years now).

UVA has a great coach, runs a clean program, has a history of success in the best (consistently) conference in basketball. Plus we are in Charlottesville, which is gorgeous. Yet, we seem to recruit worse than Gonzaga, or at least it seems like it, and we win the ACC all the time and won a championship two years ago but still hear the crappy comments and don’t get a ton of respect nationally. That’s why I didn’t want Gonzaga to win. Also Timme, he seems like an entitled A-hole and he shoved it in our face this year.

The argument about Drew makes a lot of sense, he seems shady. I don’t like shady coaches. I live in Tucson where UA is and I’m constantly telling people how much I dislike Sean Miller (I’m pretty popular with UA fans here), so I get it. However, when someone like Drew wins a championship you can always say he did it the wrong way. That makes me feel better somehow. When someone like Few wins and gets all the accolades I get pissed because he hasn’t faced the scrutiny and ridicule that our program has lately. So, that’s my excuse for wanting Baylor to win. They also play well and the kids seem like decent kids.

3 Likes

Early on Drew was getting recruits way above his head that he had no business convincing to go to a team coming off a murder/cheating scandal.

1 Like

Specifically the 3 4 stars he got in each of 2005 and 2006.

you and @jazznutUVA calling @PhonyBennett an A-hole?

1 Like

No way, Fresh! Phony’s the best. But I can see him taking the piss out of some Tarhole dickhead for laughs. The real Tony wouldn’t do that.

2 Likes

2 Likes