NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

Totally agree but what’s funny is that’s the only game situation refs will call that as a foul.

6 minutes left? Clean block.
Last second shot? Swallow their whistle.
12 seconds left with more time for things to unfold? Foul.

7 Likes

One of my pet peeves with commentators is when there’s a bad call, the replay is shown, then the commentator acts like it’s the right call as if we’re all blind. Dan Bonner is the absolute worst with that as he showed again yesterday.

4 Likes

I thought the Hien call was a foul in real time but overhead cam showed it was clean. Sucks but credit the kid for burying them

3 Likes

It really frustrated me at the end that we had fouls called before two almost guaranteed buckets and both were 1 and 1. Kadin fouled after a steal but had completed pass for wide open breakaway. He went 1/2.

Mcneeley drive baseline and was fouled as he dished it to a wide open guy under basket (kadin?). He missed the front end. Again make the FTs but down the stretch they were getting a bunch of and 1 calls, but we were just getting calls that negated makes.

2 Likes

Your cope is strong. “Tony’s recruiting is just fine.” Ok, let’s look at the facts, shall we:

2017:
-Anthony: Transferred, #240+
-Badocchi: Transferred, #280+

-Caffaro: NR Intl
-Stattman: #340+
-Kiehi: #370+

-Morsell: Transferred, #56
-McKoy: Transferred, #240+
-Shedrick: #68, (Redshirted, prospective transfer)
Woldetensae: NR Juco

-Beeks, #70
-Abdur-Rahim: Transferred, #38
-McCorkle: Transferred, #150+

Igor: Transferred, NR Intl
Taine: #89 (non-contributor rotation player, prospective transfer?)
I’ll count the transfers here since it’s present:
Transfer in: Armaan, #147
Transfer in: Jayden: NR

*Sam Hauser and Trey Murphy were one-season pit stops for their own NBA development. They dramatically leveled up our floor. Not even counting them, but THANK GOD they transferred in. JFC.

Yep, I see nothing wrong there, totally fine the last 5 years. Key takeaways: 50% transfer clip, 5 top 100 players (2 transferred out, 3rd is about to (after redshirting lol), and 1 is a non-factor). Really compelling argument.

This is the argument for CTB being the best coach in college basketball (and nothing else). Imagine another coach having this body of work over 5 classes. They’d be lucky to be .500 or even worse.

5 Likes

We definitely overachieved given what that stretch of poor recruiting produced. That’s on Tony for the bad recruiting but also on him for patching a roster together and coaching it to 2 ACC regular season champs.

2022 and 2023 class offer hope and could represent the ushering (back) in of what those 2014-2019 teams gave us. Ideally going forward we’re able to build around the core from those classes and only supplement from the portal strategically rather than having to patch over for recruiting misses

6 Likes

When we stop all the conjecture and hot takes, etc…and just look at the results on paper, it’s actually even worse than I thought. Embarrassingly poor recruiting, and not just for a summer or two but sustained over five years.

3 Likes

Yup, the recruiting has been bad for a few years, until the class of 2022. Nobody is really arguing the opposite except for one guy who pops on at 3 am in the morning east coast time to tell us we are all armature aperture armchair arsonists. So, if you set your alarm for 3am, you can have a nice repartee with him.

Also, agree with this, from Uva hoops riffs:
https://twitter.com/UVaHoopsRiffs/status/1636701393766473728?s=20

Dunn’s energy level, disruption on Slawson and in general was a nice element to have in that game.

7 Likes

You’re arguing with nobody. The recruiting stunk. 2022 and 2023 have been a welcome departure from that.

1 Like

I was actually replying to “TobaccoRdHoo” but I know you have main character syndrome and are obsessed with me ;). you got my attention, happy now, chief?

‘Jerome’ reads this and immediately starts typing right on queue…cant’ help himself.

2 Likes

I agree recruiting has not been good. If you include the recruiting of transfers, does it look better? Hauser and Murphy seemed to be ‘above replacement’-level, to borrow a baseball term. Other transfers-in were at least upgrades over the departures in my opinion (I have not yet formed a view about whether they are above-replacement level).

But to the larger point, I think this year’s team came pretty darn close to maxing out its potential. I just don’t think the roster’s potential was as high as prior season’s have been. The program needs to recruit better in order to achieve more (which I don’t think is very controversial).

6 Likes

Actually I’m going to leave you alone. I don’t get the impression you’re a very stable guy so I’ll let you continue your rants and just general combative behavior. You’ll fly off the handle and get banned soon enough like you always do

4 Likes

Agreed, I think Tony has maximized the potential of not only this year’s team, but the past 4 teams and did it better than any coach could have IMO

Oh yeah that was absurd. Basically the officials/rules encouraging defenders to swing wildly at the ball/arm, all upside (luckily get ball and a clean block) and no downside (simple shooting foul, prevented layup anyways). If Dunn was a more veteran player, he would have come back in. But Tony wasn’t going to toss him back into crunch time after sitting so long.

1 Like

sorry if I missed it, could Tony have called a TO when Kihei got trapped or is that only the player with the ball that can do that?

Yes

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

1 Like

Yes but I rewatched it a few times and Kihei didn’t even give anyone a chance to call it. He picked up his dribble (getting stuck) and threw the pass all in about 1.6 seconds … most times you would give a little chance to simmer and get to 3 or 4 seconds being stuck.
What would have been great would have been a team huddle as soon as the foul call at 12 seconds and say to each other. Be strong with the ball and we don’t have to advance it nd accept the foul if he makes the 2nd FT. If he misses get the rebound and be strong and accept the foul.

Edit - watch the tape. Clark is literally being fouled intentionally by Pegues as he picks up the dribble … no call by the official and Clark panics instead of simply accepting the foul.

2 Likes

Not the weirdEST part but weird they didnt even guard Reece!!

2 Likes

Smart defense … make them catch in the backcourt.