NCAAT First Round - Furman vs Virginia (12:30 PM, TruTV, Thursday, 16 Mar 2023)

I think I was the only one who wanted to do one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/status/1636441287325827078?s=20

I think there is a good chance Sheds asked not to go up there.

1 Like

Don’t know if this was posted anywhere else, Chris Graham said what many of us were thinking about Pat Forde

https://augustafreepress.com/news/pat-forde-the-towering-fraud-of-the-interwebs-takes-his-annual-shot-at-tony-bennett/

Hope the link works

2 Likes
2 Likes

I would have listened!

2 Likes

Still sick to my stomach
Praying for the young men

7 Likes

I had to run out to do some continued recruiting!

10 Likes

Good choice … I’m thankful I had a tennis match to get out my frustrations … almost didn’t work since we stunk it up the first set but came back to win.

3 Likes

The Foster kid was huge for them yesterday. Just kept hitting big shots kind outta nowhere. You rarely see teams given so much confidence from their coaching staff to just not think too much and let it fly like that

4 Likes

I mean, you can just look at results and see that’s not the case. It’s not some crazy conspiracy theory. From the 2017 through the 2021 high school classes - five full recruiting classes - we’ve gotten only two guys who’ve become highish level ACC players at UVA (Reece and Kadin). And we’ve gotten zero shooters who’ve contributed at UVA.

That’s bad. You can debate why and allot whatever amount to blame to whatever circumstance or person you want, but that will undermine any program trying to compete at the level we are. It’s a testament to how good of a coach Tony is that he’s gotten as many wins as he has the last several years.

But it does look like we’re currently recruiting a lot better. The 2022 and 2023 class look to have some real promise. And we obviously recruited extremely well pre 2017. We just had a weird draught for a while that put us in a tough spot.

7 Likes

Me last night: Alright, cool. Joy in the morning.

Me this morning:

(To be clear, this is a joke from a sketch comedy show. Not a serious sentiment).

10 Likes

Reflecting on the game now, I’m not totally feeling certain on how much to take away going forward.

The defense was overall fine, ended up performing at the same #25 level it is at in the various efficiency rankings. Totally turned off the interior, gave up a little more free throws than hoped for, and then gave up a ton of 3PAs, and Furman shot around their average (and our average) on them. This has been the story of the last three seasons, this year’s team happened to be the best version of the same story, where good 2P defense is combined with average-to-below average 3P defense; this year they also did pretty much all of the other stuff TB teams normally do (good defensive rebounding, not fouling, a moderate amount of turnover-forcing) to get to a #25 defense. The open question I have is should future TB teams try to tilt a little bit more towards taking away 3PAs?

The offense is a little more confusing to me, and so conditional on the personnel we have next season, so I have no idea what to take away from the game. In a similar vein to my defense question, it seems like teams can take away 3s from us, so I think making that extremely costly for them to do that would be important. I don’t know if that’s scheme, individual player development, other factors, but that’s the only thing I feel solid about taking away.

2 Likes

I don’t think we had anyone who could really hunt his own shot from the perimeter. It seems like everything needed to be assisted rather than sometimes come off a ball screen and let it go.

5 Likes

A wonderful sketch comedy show

1 Like

Season 2 What GIF by The Lonely Island

2 Likes

Yep, easy to do when the zebras anticipated four or five fouls on Gardner and Shedrick that resulted in free throws for Slawson and Hien, who combined for 8-9 from the line.

We were in the paint offensively far more than Furman. They took eight shots in the paint. We took 13. Take away the three foul shots we got from intentional fouls in the last minute, FTAs were even at 19.

Someone said it well earlier in the thread. The officials were in “upset mode.”

I just hope the basketball gods have taken everything they’re going to take now that order has been restored post-February 11, 2023.

7 Likes

Upset mode was a great call hahaha

5 Likes

and the call against Sheds with 12 seconds left was horrible … not a foul at any level. If that call is not made the Hoos get the rebound and are fouled with 9 or 10 seconds left and shooting 2 FT’s up by 4.
Game over.

14 Likes

The and-ones Slawson got late were super soft as well.

7 Likes