New summer recruiting thread

5 offensive rebounds and he hit a 3, but also below 50% on his FTA’s. Is he known for being much of a shooter? Always thought of him as purely a post player offensively.

Why’s Poppovich there in front of JJ?

2 Likes

I think he’s more of a “if they leave him open on the perimeter, he’ll shoot a three” rather than a real outside threat but his FT% isn’t great iirc. Not THAT bad, but like 65-70%, iirc.

2 Likes

FWIW, Rose thought Stanford was the visit Carter was most excited about (once it was clear UVA wasn’t happening), but for whatever reason she’s betting on Vanderbilt.

1 Like

SIX steals!

Edit: Even if @DavetheWave was keeping stats, holy cow!

6 Likes

Either him or Kenny Rogers

1 Like

@PointGuardEyes comes here and posts a write up of a recruit every one in a while. We need the Austin Williford write up. lol.

11 Likes

Where is young Willy gonna end up ranked?

I also just realized Jamie Kaiser never posted his Maryland photos to instagram even though he definitely did a photo shoot (Wisconsin and UVA his other two big visits are posted).

If Austin Williford ends up at Florida State (I remember @DFresh11 saying he liked them), man.

7 Likes

Think we should be prepared for that possibility based off the way J Willy has talked about his sons on the podcast. Doesn’t sound like he’s convinced he wants to coach his sons (and I have no idea how good of a basketball player the younger one even is).

I totally get a dad not wanting to coach a son or vice versa, but if you are a top recruit and your dad is a coach at a top program…if you’re going to go elsewhere, you gotta go outside the league.

12 Likes

And Leonard Hamilton is 73

2 Likes

Yea he told somebody last year FSU was his ideal school. Kinda funny

Having the opportunity to live in Charlottesville and choosing Tallahassee…

2 Likes

I think it was more of a funny thing. Austin was maybe 15 when he was asked.

Thing is he has lived in Charlottesville his whole Life and JPJ etc. I would understand someone like Austin wanting to go away for school. But if it gets to that point and we really want him it will be hard for him not to stay home, I think

13 Likes

Agree. And, one thing which hasn’t been mentioned, “Does young Williford want to get away from home?” By the time I entered my junior year of high school, I was so ready to get out of the house. And, in my view, attending college a couple of miles from home isn’t getting out of the house. Some kids need to get away. Some don’t. There is a lot more to this decision than just basketball. I hope everyone is willing to give the young man some slack. Of course, the real question is, “Do you want to go to a school where you can bring your laundry home for mom to wash while you raid the 'fridge?”

7 Likes

And also - Austin would be a star the moment he steps on grounds. Not sure the same would be said at another ACC school.

2 Likes

No.

7 Likes

He could head of to IMG academy for a year or two, get his fill of florida, then come back home … no way that could go wrong, right?

10 Likes