New summer recruiting thread

Still amazes me how we sit on offers with certain kids, and offer others right away.

Im sure they are putting together clips and what not to pitch. The only offer right away I remember was Justin Edwards and he ended up being a top 3 recruit.

On the other hand, at least Bennett isn’t like Mike Young and offers everyone in sight. I swear, I think he offers mannequins when he goes to J.C. Penney. Bennett seems to put some thought behind the process.

4 Likes

2024 Caleb Williams of Sidwell Friends on his unofficial. Isaiah Abraham in the comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfE2PQvugJM/

14 Likes

I get that, but Jackson has clear ACC potential at a position which has been hit or miss for us lately as far as on-court performance and/or development.

Yet we offer borderline bigs/wings without hesitation like Kody/Igor, and even Buchanan to a lesser extent. Baffling sorta.

Not without hesitation. Those kids we knew about months before offering and communicating and recruiting them. Igor was a part of Wilkins program in Germany. They knew about him for a while. Kody goes back to Tony’s Oceania connections and that ongoing relationship. Buchanan HGN mentioned him last fall as a possible name and Tony sneaking out to Idaho to watch him. throughout the year.

with ElMarko it doesn’t matter whether we offer Sunday night through a text or set up a meeting with him Wednesday night to zoom and go through clips/do an official presentation. Heck the latter is probably more appealing because it shows the level of care we put int0 the offer and how seriously interested we are in the kid’s future.

First assistant coach appearance in a recruit’s photoshoot?

16 Likes

And how Orange is that shirt? Did they do the photo shoot, sneaking in all that attire, while Tony’s eyes were preoccupied elsewhere?

5 Likes
5 Likes

Interesting. And these are Tony approved kids since he was the one watching.

3 Likes

Black Buchanan blurb
https://hoopseen.com/national/news/event/202206/2022-section-7-top-overall-performers

Saw some clips on twitter. A Trey Murphy clone.

Drew McKenna is a Hunter clone. Let’s get both? Man there are so many wings in 2024 its insane.

6 Likes

Just how great?

2 Likes

Jeff White is such a good writer. Love that Ty was out there for the first practice. Great for the first years. Also gonna be real Interesting w KC and Taine abroad to let Reece Armaan Issac and Ryan get extended run in the backcourt at practice.

18 Likes

Reps reps reps and more reps

4 Likes

I’m ok if all the 3 guys gone during the summer results in others moving ahead of them on the depth chart.

1 Like

Understand Papi and Kihei playing overseas for the summer, but for the life of me, I don’t understand Taine playing and not being on grounds for practice. Thinking this cracks the door (more than just a little bit) for Bond and Dunn to move into the 8th and 9th slots in the rotation. If Taine was buried on the bench last year, he might be so far down the bench this year that he’s sitting with the managers.

PS - Dave, you have had nothing but analytical love for Taine and now you’re hoping that one or more of the 1st years move ahead of him?

2 Likes

Yes i love Taine … there are 3 guys mentioned … I am willing to sacrifice Taine if it means the other 2 are also not in the top 7 or 8 man rotations. :joy: :joy: :joy: :innocent: :innocent:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Matthew Hurt, Cherokee Parks, Cole Swider, Danny Ferry, Evan Nolte, Ryan Kelly, Kyle Singler, Josh McRoberts, Mike Dunleavy, or who else?