New Transfer Thread

Doesn’t really make sense for Dukes needs. So now they have 4 guys who can run the point…

They literally signed a top 20 PG less than two weeks ago. How in the world is he already getting recruited over?

2 Likes

The ball should be in Banchero’s hands 75% of the time, dude this the real deal

2 Likes

Nolan Hickman and Paolo same high school right? Gonna be funny if Keels committed to Duke with Roach in mind and then Roach is like “okay bye”

2 Likes

Man, K is just shameless. Didn’t they just bring in a 21 pg? Wonder what load of poo K told that kid and his family.

2 Likes
3 Likes

3pt shooting is meh but solid defender. Did he play the 3 or the 4? I forget

Wow. Yes please, Tony on line 1, we got 35mins at the 3.

2 Likes

Escalade

1 Like

Think he’s a 4. But is actually mobile/hybrid 3/4. But more of a 4. Could be our back up 4/4 in a small ball 5 line up. But he probably wants a big role. Braxton Key type guy

Edit: After watching more highlights. I think he could absolutey play the 3 for us in that braxton role. Apparently he wants to show his shooting touch and that he can be a more proficient 3pt shooter. If we do go for him I do wish we still go for a Jordan-Hall type who could still play heavy minutes off the bench as a second ball handler. I will not let go the Ty Jerome comparisons on this one.

Cuse fans seem crushed by this Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

3 Likes

They’ve scaled back to just cars now?

when Jaden Akins enrolled it became clear that Emoni wasn’t actually playing there. no chance those two would play for the same school after Emoni’s dad ran Jaden out of Ypsi Prep. and yeah I agree he’s not that good. it’s clear his development is clearly plateauing as of late. he couldn’t drive past Jalen Duren (or anyone else really) last weekend to save his life. his offensive arsenal right now is limited just pull up jumpers because the dude simply lacks the ability to penetrate a defense. it also looks like he’s done growing. he’s kinda starting to feel like Andrew Wiggins: talented kid who will have a long nba career but was crowned next big thing prematurely so people will always view as a disappointment. he still looked better than Duren and Dior hasn’t played enough lately to earn the top spot but imo Dior is better than him.

also his dad is a sleazier, less charismatic Lavar Ball. that school he created is pretty damn shady. those kids are receiving the bare minimum of what legally qualifies as an education. it’s also hilarious that nobody wants to play with Emoni either on the aau team named after him or the joke of a school his dad created.

4 Likes

Texas Tech picked up a good one tonight
Davion Warren from Hampton, bucket getter

2 Likes

You do realize that many of the “international recruits” being referred to were boarding at basketball academies 24/7. At these facilities, the players are competing against global competition.

Papi was discovered in the recently launched NBA Academy located in Australia. Top European kids typically go to a basketball academy at ages 13-15. There’s more court time, fundamental training, and film on these kids than those in the US. Evaluating foreign players isn’t a major issue for good coaches.

Many of the international kids are a good fit for a highly structured, systematic program like Tony’s. Now, overlay how a recruit must match up to Tony’s program, as well as being able to navigate the requirements of UVA academically. Those two aspects narrows the potential pool of prospects considerably. It’s simple math, not calculus!

6 Likes

During the ‘18-‘19 season, I thought that tough series of Saturday to quick turnaround Monday games really helped to sharpen UVA in preparation for the NCAAT. Playing in those situations against quality competition during the regular season prepares a squad for the post-season.

Gonzaga is a terrific front runner program. But they have never impressed me as having the mindset to grind out tough wins consistently. Lack of quality competition in WCC is a factor.

3 Likes

Watching more film there were actually games where Guerrier played the 3 heavy minutes (like against UNC both times as they went big to match UNC’s bigs). Also he was a shooting guard in high school. If he can get up to 36-37% from 3, which I think he could especially with how we generate much more open looks and he seems to be more of a catch and shoot than pull up guy (like morsell), I would also take him in a heart beat. Addresses the need for a 3 and rim protection with his help side blocks and activity on the glass. Would be a nice replacement for Murphy. Not the 3pt shooter he was but brings more slashing and blocking. With Murphy it is his incredibly high ceiling we are missing out on unfortunately as he heads to the NBA (Kid has the potential to be really special and we only saw glimpses this year). But Guerrier can more than make up the impact Murphy had last year being a third team all-ACCer himself.

Also wouldn’t mind Jordan Hall or one more to fill the Jabri slot too. Could play the 3 or 4 in a 4 out, Jayden Gardner in the middle set.

2 Likes

Nice analysis. Yep, he strikes me a lot like Mitchell. Not sexy but could definitely fill a major roll for next years. He’s a big tough 3. Can defend, rebound, score off rebounds and off the dribble.

1 Like

It also helped that the Baylor of our year got upset in the Elite Eight. Pretty sure Gonzaga wins the title this year if they play anyone else in the final.

While I can understand why Virginia might like to have Guerrier on the roster, I am unsure of the appeal Virginia has for him. Among other things, he was playing almost 33 mpg at Syracuse. I don’t see that happening at UVa. At least, not in the coming season. Guerrier has three years of eligibility remaining. Does anyone imagine he wants to use them all before pursuing a professional career? Does he want to put in the time learning the systems before assuming a major role? I understand the comparisons to Braxton Key which are being made, but it is worth remembering that Key averaged fewer than 20 mpg his first season in Charlottesville (although he was up to almost 22 mpg in conference play). Is that the sort of role Guerrier is seeking? While I would love to have him attend UVa, I imagine that there will be many offers which he will find more attractive if for no other reason than the possibility of greater immediate playing time.

1 Like

Absolutely valid concerns/points. However in my mind I see it as this.

1. We have 40 minutes at the 3

2. We also have minutes at the 4 in small ball line ups that we will absolutey run with 4 out, one in.

3. Part of the reason for transferring (outside Buddy Boeheim taking on a Marcus Howard at Marquette role and them acquiring other forwards while not being sure if he was coming back regardless which would eat into his playing time) is that he wants to show his ball skills. He was forced moreso into being a high level (all acc) glue guy at the 4. Unlike McKoy, who is a forward with perimeter skills that played some in high school, Guerrier was straight up a shooting guard in high school and has the mobility to be a perimeter player.

4. I didn’t mean Braxton during his first year. He is a higher ceiling/higher proven player than Braxton in his last year being a 3rd team all-accer. The Braxton comparison was moreso the skill set of being being a guard who can bring that defensive intensity and toughness/shot blocking and defensive versatility. You are absolutely right in that if we offered 20 minutes a game he would not even look in our direction.

5. There are a lot of zone principles in the packline defense and he is also active in the passing lanes with deflections. Was easily Syracuse’s best defender. Also the packline isn’t this mythos that takes years to solve. Especially for a player who is athletic as he is and also having college bball experience and IQ to back it up. Reece and Trey Murphy were straight up our best defenders this year as first year wahoos during the COVID experience. Although Murphy did struggle on close outs on the perimeter… but that’s a whole other topic

1 Like