NIT...Do you think we should accept or?

We are all giddy with glee???

Its definitely fun man

That score line and the three Ms dropping 25 a piece would make this board melt down with happiness. I’d love it.

1 Like

What’s guaranteed? If we accept, none of the rotation trends will change unless someone’s hurt.

If we view the NIT as a developmental tool, absolutely.

If we view it as a tournament we need to win and don’t widen the rotation to develop anyone then no,

1 Like

Yeah it’s so funny to see people ask for it. We know what Tony’s going to do. He’s going to let the guys that got us here try to go win a championship.

1 Like

Accept in a heartbeat and play a deeper bench. Not even a debate beyond that.

1 Like

In play substitutions! We could crash the offensive glass and still get back to play the pack line!

3 Likes

Now that’s how you change the game of basketball

1 Like

The great Claudio Reyna trained my sons club soccer team once. He was unreal. Had small sided games going where there were 3 teams and who was against whom changed depending on a gol scored or other factors. Was an amazing drill combining quick in space soccer with lots of mental work necessary

We used to do similar full court stuff where full 5 changed on the fly

4 Likes

Of course.
Starting Lineup
Beek
Murray
Igor
Gardner
Shedrick

Mccorkle
Caffaro
Clark
Rounds out the 8 man rotation

1 Like

It’s fun to play like that, especially in training. I coached a u18 girls team a few years back (Az State Champions, cough) and they would love playing a similar game. We’d have teams of three behind each goal with goals about 30 yards apart with keepers and it was really fast paced. Score you stay on and defend, miss the target you are off and the next team is on. With an 18 player roster you have 6 teams and you are resting for max 90 seconds and all out for 60-90 seconds, it’s just back and forth. Good finishing and fitness drill and the girls loved it, lots of hard tackling and shit talking, it was great.

3 Likes

We did the same in rugby. Play 7s on a short field. First turnover or scored on your off winners hold the court. Oh yea field flips direction each time so go from east west to north south after every change keep you mentally engaged

2 Likes

“The guys that got us here…” means the guys that failed to make the NCAAT in this scenario. Not really an achievement.

Those guys on the bench also bled and sweat Virginia basketball. Reward those guys for the work and commitment they put in.

1 Like

You know that is not how Tony works. Or maybe you don’t? I don’t know. When I read these boards I wonder sometimes.

2 Likes

I think you mean if we are trying to win then all of the M’s will play a lot.

I mean I know how he works. But the purpose of a sports message board isn’t supposed to be some sort of crowd-sourced beat reporting. Anyway that’s what I’m hoping happens, but fully expect disappointment.

I checked for 2012-2013 if minute distribution changed with the NIT. Non-scientific observation - it looks like there was no real difference. FWIW though that team had 10 players in double digit minutes per game throughout the season.

My memory was that we featured the younger guys more in the NIT in 2013, but that memory wasn’t born out in my brief look at the box scores.

That team had 1 senior and 2 juniors to go with 2 sophomores and 5 freshman. I’ve listed the lineup changes that would have happened if we went young over old.

Teven Jones over Jontel Evans

Evan Nolte and Taylor Barnette over Joe Harris

Mike Tobey and Darion Atkins over Akil Mitchell

I just realized that if we win 3 games, they’ll be at MSG. This is no longer even a question.

2 Likes