🙄 No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Yes, this is a complicated area to interpret; for the skeptical take on whether departments are losing money, focusing on some accounting practices, here’s an article from a sports economist:

Here’s another article on common misconceptions about athletic department accounting: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/06/12/the-biggest-misconceptions-about-the-finances-of-college-sports/

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1572240519417458691

4 Likes

Aside from last year’s core 6, who starts at least one game this season? Pick as many as you like

  • BVP
  • Fish
  • Mick
  • Bond
  • Dunn
  • Taine
  • Chase
0 voters

Cant remember which one is Mick and which one is Fish.. but McKneely and BVP is how I’d vote

Edit: nvm, I’m dumb. Mick = McKneely, Traudt = Fish (get it? :rofl:)

9 Likes

Man I hate those nicknames. If it is just low key hazing for rookies fine. But should never stick long term

9 Likes

Seems like it was probably just pragmatism. But I see where you’re you’re coming from

1 Like

Looking up pragmatism…

6 Likes

One should be Eyes and the other one should be Zack

2 Likes

We got ‘em an NIL opportunity down here

https://www.isaacsbagels.com/

Maybe one can be called Sarah and the other Abraham

4 Likes

Traudt could go by Braskypants

2 Likes

We had amazing nicknames. Lemme try and recount my last year in no particular order:

C, Big Poon, TJ, Dos Dos, Ford, Fresh, YB, Havel, Big Red, Big Chris, Bobby Big House, And I know I am missing someone

6 Likes

You had a guy named big poon and you think mick and fish are too harsh? :joy:

5 Likes

We sometimes called June Big Poone. Term of endearment

4 Likes

Or is this the problem? #TheresOnlyOneFish

4 Likes

Dept. of Shitty Nicknames: Ryan Dunn (RD) = Road. Leon Bond (LB) = Pound.

7 Likes

Two things:

  1. Closing this poll at 35 voters:
  • Mick - 32/35
  • BVP - 30/35
  • Fish - 13/35
  • Taine - 9/35
  • Bond - 3/35
  • Dunn - 2/35

Takeaways: seems to be a consensus that McKneely and BVP will start at some point, Traudt and Taine probably will not, and it’s unlikely Bond and Dunn will.

  1. On the TJP tangent I brought up in the Intel thread: Basically, there was discussion of GW3 and whether his presence might scare off a more highly regarded '24 PG. I said that TJP was a recent example of someone whose calculus may have been different if there were more PT obviously available. The general response, seemed to be, duh, no, TJP picked Duke more or less right away after his visit so obviously it wouldn’t have changed the calculus.

I’m still not so sure. My feeling on the TJP recruitment once Duke entered was that (a) it was going to be tough to beat Duke (and UNC, and UCLA, etc.), and (b) if it happened it would happen because TJP bought into the development angle over the showcase angle. But what’s missing? In terms of obvious PT early in his career, I kind of think that we and Duke were not so different. So what if the Duke v. UVa angle was more like, “school I already really liked WITH obvious PT opportunities right away” vs. “showcase school where I have to have an immense amount of confidence that I can get on the floor”. I think the obvious PT was something that could have been a more effective counterweight. Would it have swayed him to us? Who knows… but I’m not saying it would. I’m just saying it would make us much more attractive.**

Also, I want to be clear, I am super happy that Dunn and Bond are here (I’m higher on both of them than most, I think), and I’m really super happy that Traudt is here. And I would’ve taken those “birds in the hand” over holding the scholly, esp. since Dunn was the only one who was really borderline top 100 (and therefore the best comparison to the GW3 decision).

** Tangent on my tangent, but one of the reasons I dislike the redshirt, and generally like early PT for younger, higher ceiling guys, over older, lower ceiling guys, is that I think early PT for good players is something that we should be able to sell on the recruiting rail. How you decide to run your program is recruiting.

2 Likes

BVP is a no brainer… he’ll get senior night unless he opts out.

4 Likes

I think this is a great point and also a place where it’s reasonable to have differing views on how this should play out in practice. An alternative viewpoint is that when you are selling development, you’re selling the vision of come in, pay your dues early in your career, and then when after you do that, you’ll be in a good position to shine in the opportunity that you have. If a guy comes in and does that, and then doesn’t play much in the 3rd year because a 1st year is perceived to have a higher potential*, that undermines that pitch. Playing guys early has benefits in other ways, but it’s not cost-free in my view.

*assuming here that the older player is more productive/contributes to winning that season.

But I do think it is very reasonable to have different viewpoints on this, and how you come down this probably should hinge on the specific players involved and team context around them.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. There is a balance. This is an oversimplification, but one way to thread the needle is when you have that dilemma (which, IMO, we probably have this coming year), you spread out PT generously, especially early on.

For me it’s simple … whoever plays better will play more … and when I say better - net better on both ends… enough of the non-sensical defense performance only football mentality.

2 Likes