🙄 No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

The negative nelly take on this (so, yeah, real stretch for me) is that first Jon Scheyer and now the Ignite is coming after Tony’s development lane. But the Passmore quote (and, tbh, those Elijah clips) suggest Tony’s now putting on his blinker to get into the OAD lane…

3 Likes

We’ve always recruited them. MPJ. Cade Cunningham. Patrick Baldwin Jr. Ironically all of them ended up following family ties

5 Likes

PBJ followed family ties; MPJ and Cade Cunningham got their dad / brother (?) a job.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Hopefully with the ball in Reece’s hands more we dont walk the ball up the court for 5-10 seconds.

1 Like

Houston averaged 5.1 more possessions than us last year … I would take that in a heartbeat.
That’s a 5.1 poss. per game gap between last (358th) and Houston at (333rd).
A 5.1 poss. per game gap from Houston and up would be all the way to #91
that’s how drastically slow we are.

2 Likes

I hope the additional playable depth (assuming we have it) encourages CTB to pick things up and not walk the ball up the court. We should at least situationally leverage that strength to wear the other team down.

4 Likes

I just want to get back to the selective running we saw Joe Harris’s senior year. Don’t have to be anything close to fast but take advantage when we have clear numbers.

7 Likes

The biggest key would be to get out of the packline for stretches and trap and play full or 3/4 court press … steals and turnovers would shorten defensive possessions and create shorter offensive possessions with the ensuing break or secondary transition opportunities.
Reece, Isaac M, Dunn, Bond, Sheds … trapping??? whoa … mind blown…

4 Likes

I think we need a more disruptive defense to run a bit more. I thought we might have that early on last year, but it didn’t really play out, did it?

Also, I think our philosophy of passing up a good shot for a better shot is an inherently good philosophy PROVIDED THAT we have good offensive players who can create better shots through patience. But in 19-20 and 21-22 we didn’t have the right inputs and the philosophy backfired. We’d have been better off taking the first good shot that presented itself, rather than having to watch practice footage to realize Malachi had a buttery smooth jumper.

9 Likes

Must be difficult to simply put content like this out … :frowning:

2 Likes

Between the 50-50 coach vote on going to a 24-second shot clock, and now reports that “the committee discussed the potential of having college basketball teams play made-for-TV exhibition games during the summer”, I hope cbssports.com is blacklisted at JPJ. :joy:

Tony’s counterproposal – DON’T show the game, but do do a live broadcast of both teams getting off the bus. Fallback position – pics of J-Willy clapping.

5 Likes

Virginia’s defensive possessions lasted an average of 19.4 seconds, which was the longest average length of defensive possessions in Division 1.

1 Like

I had forgotten that UVA had faced Austin Nichols in the madness before he transferred to UVA. Then they met BVP in the madness before he transferred to UVA. Hoping for a better outcome the 2nd go round.

6 Likes

That was one of our most complete tourney games of the Bennett era. Basically that and Oklahoma in 2019 during the Bennett era.

Edit - wait, I’m forgetting some during the 2016 run: Maybe Iowa St … (By complete, I am mostly meaning games that were not in much doubt, against good competition – i.e., not Hampton).

6 Likes

iowa state was so fun. i was driving most of the first half and had it on the radio, we went up like 20-4 or something. was able to enjoy the second half from my destination - if i recall it was low-stress… maybe they cut it to 10 or 11 once but i don’t recall it ever being in doubt.

4 Likes

To your point …it’s crazy that in 13 seasons of CTB Hoos, there are so few dominant complete performances in the Madness.
Here are my rankings regardless of opponent strength.
2014 - Round of 32 vs. Memphis … 78-60 (Up by 27 at one point)
2016 - Round of 64 vs. Hampton … 81-45 (2 point game with 5:30 left in first half) then a 22-3 run
2016 - Round of 16 vs. Iowa State … 84-71 (Up by 14 at halftime, double digit lead most of the game)

And I’ll include the following too … I know a lot of people say this one was scary but not me.

2019 - Round of 64 vs. Gardner Webb … 71-56 (Most dominant 15 minutes of basketball in the madness for any UVA team I’ve seen) … down 9 with a minute to go in the first half to up by 17 with 6:45 left in the game … a 37-9 run in 14 minutes of game time.
Can stretch it out to the most dominant 25 minute stretch as well … down 30-16 and then up 71-50 25 minutes later … a 55-20 run.

3 Likes

I remember watching the GW game on my laptop in Newcomb Hall. Dunk at the end of the first half and knew we were going to win. I think it was Mamadi but it might have been Dre

Huff had a dunk with 2:22 remaining in the half… I think the Hunter dunk you’re referring to was 2:31 into the 2nd half and got the Hoos within 2.
Ty then hit a 3 - two minutes later that put the Hoos up 4 and seemed to break Webb’s will completely … they called timeout and the Hoos came out of that timeout and went on another 13-3 run immediately effectively ending all doubt.

1 Like

Yeah must have been Dre dunk right at the beginning of the second half.

1 Like