🙄 No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Cant wait for our baseline out of bounds plays with Elijah

Edit: this alley oop thing with him is kinda new, I think. Didnt see much of it all summer. He should do the high jump as well ala Herman Moore

4 Likes

We need to show those alley oops to our PG recruits. Easy assists, cmon you know you want to be half of this play.

7 Likes

Absolutely. We also need to offer Tahaad cause he throws em the best to Eli

4 Likes

I thought Tahaad was doing G-League or something (I forget the other, maybe Overtime Elite but might be way off on that one).

Tahaad is a rising HS junior if you can believe that. Unreal talent and way ahead of his years

Edit: I forgot school started. Tahaad is a junior this year

2 Likes

Interesting he’s good now, but that also means how much better could he get? Maybe his peers will catch up and bypass him?

Tahaad? He is really really good. Can definitely improve his jump shot and range. I havent seen a better HS point guard in all the stuff I have watched. How much better remains to be seen, but I know he works at it tirelessly

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Look where he catches it and where his head is … EG

2 Likes

Time stamped with 2 Bond highlights … shows a great example of why it’s important to have a real 3 playing the 3.
First play strong enough to finish against a strong but undersized 4 - who size wise is really a 3.
2nd play - easily elevates over a 2 who has been a miscast 3 the last year.

2 Likes

Size at the 3 by Dunn - important…
Then threat of shooting at the 3 by Murray allows him to get downhill and still strength to finish over length.

1 Like

@hoos9412 Putting this here to keep the other thread free of the VCU/Richmond stuff.

I don’t claim to have much of a horse in this race, tbh. I have tended to root for VCU over the last 15 years or so b/c my UVa buddy teaches there and because they’ve been good / fun. Not intense; just a mild preference.

I took a look at the KenPom history (back through 1997). In the 9 years pre-Mooney, the Spiders went to two tourneys, one in Beilein’s 5-year tenure (lost in round 2) and once in Wainwright’s 3-year tenure. Then on sports reference, I’m looking, and you have to go back to the mid-late 80s when they are going to the tourney consistently, and winning games there somewhat consistently.

Mooney: 3 tourneys in 17 years (plus right on the bubble, with KenPom putting him in for 2020). 1 sweet sixteen, 1 round 2. A winning record in the A-10 a bare majority of the time (9 of 17 years).

So, I don’t know. It’s not exactly an awesome record. And, yes, he was saved by the extra year rules. But it’s not so bad, and it’s pretty consistent with his immediate predecessors.

Maybe, I’m a bit inconsistent, because I shrugged at Tony Shaver’s firing. But he had never made the tourney. I basically think Mooney hit a real low point from 16-19 and now maybe he’s pulled out of it?

Anyway, just some thoughts…

1 Like

I think they are afraid if they move on from him they’ll go from mediocrity to being flat out bad. But that won’t happen if they get J Willy :wink:

Agreed, it’s not awful in a vacuum. But when their biggest rival went from little brother to big brother under his watch? And across how many coaches VCU cycled through? That’s a huge failure. And that’s really what the unhappy Richmond fans are discontent about.

I expect the roof is about to collapse anyway. If not for the A10 tournament title last year he would’ve missed the tournament consecutive years with a junior + senior loaded team and then a senior + bonus year loaded team. Not sure they would’ve even made the NIT last year. That’s not good.

1 Like

I don’t know the local scene well enough, but are Richmond and VCU comparable in terms of resources that they put into basketball?

On VCU, it’s remarkable that Rhoades was able to create an elite defensive practically overnight (compare their 2017-18 team to their 2018-19 team), when he had no real track record of doing so before at Rice.

2 Likes

I don’t really know either, but the Siegel Center seems like an ideal venue for a mid-high major (basically A-10), in a nice location, too (based on my limited knowledge of Richmond geography).

According to this VCU’s budget last year was almost $5.9 million and Richmond’s was about $4.2. Would love to see what those numbers were in 2005 when Mooney took over…

Most interesting thing with regards to VA schools is VCU has a bigger budget than VPI. Young is really a good coach to have that program competitive with his lack of resources.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2022

3 Likes

This is good content … would be nice to get some like this…

2 Likes
17 Likes

@DavetheWave

1 Like

Interesting question about in house analytics staff. No matter how excellent the analysis is, there is still a degree of prejudice that goes into the initial selection of data that will be analyzed.

Therefore, I would assume that the best analytics team has a mixture of in house personnel who follow the Virginia way and some analysts who view the world very differently. I would even add someone with a Lean Six Sigma who could identify waste in a game plan.