šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Onviously was my intention. Calling IT now

2 Likes

Sigh. I will bite. A) the staff recognizes the somewhat obvious value to both parties in the trade off between minimal first year minutes and meaningful 5th year contribution minutes, and has plenty of data to back up its position. While it is true that the value of the fifth year is uncertain, all evidence supports the contention that it will be greater than the value of the first year and then you have the embedded option value of the fifth year being really significant. the value of the first year is much easier to predict, and it is obviously low, and therefore the cost is low, especially if at the end of the 5 years the player didnā€™t turn out to develop into a meaningful contributor. B) he said fairly clearly he presents the RS candidates with the option to choose, based on various scenarios of potential minutes as best as he can predict them. i donā€™t know what else you expect him to do. I get that you donā€™t like the redshirt. Your wrong position is well established, so is it your desire that Tony just not even present the option of redshirting? If so, thatā€™s a fine opinion to hold, but belaboring the issue so much is kind of pointless, because he isnā€™t changing. Iā€™d hope youā€™d be more pleased that the young guys have the option, so maybe youā€™ll get your wish in seeing those minimal cupcake minutes this year. Unfortunately, those seem to be the guys that end up transferring.

3 Likes

The NCAA could put this question completely to rest by doing the Obviously Correct Thing and changing RS eligibility to allow for a games/minutes cap. What difference does it make whether the freshman sits out entirely or plays 17 minutes of garbage time over the course of the season? It makes no sense. Especially given the new transfer rules, which have largely blown up the old ā€œstay here and develop for 4-5 yearsā€ model in which redshirting kinda made some sense.

(Itā€™s worth noting that everyone got to ā€œredshirtā€ the covid year despite having played a full This text will be blurred season.)

8 Likes

I agree the rule should change.

6 Likes

but how will Bond motivate transferring to Marquette next year if he doesnā€™t redshirt this year?

2 Likes

Basically, yes. I donā€™t want him to present the option. Presenting the option isnā€™t a value neutral option in this case.

Not for me, I enjoy it.

1 Like

Good or bad*, I think the redshirt option will be presented a lot less, at UVA and everywhere. Remember Tony saying heā€™s shifting to a 2-year time horizon? Iā€™m sure heā€™s not alone. And in that case, there is no program benefit to a redshirt, since thatā€™s 4 years from now. Who knows if youā€™re even still here by then, kid. Plus weā€™re worried youā€™re gonna transfer so letā€™s burn your eligibility on some garbage PT so youā€™ll stay. The new incentives for coaches all point to discouraging redshirts.

*I think itā€™s bad. But again, the biggest problem is the rule is stupid to begin with.

2 Likes

Hasnā€™t football initiated something like this? Thereā€™s a 4 game/snap count I believe. Not sure why basketball couldnā€™t do something similar.

4 Likes

Yea I would be fine doing something similar to what football does. Besides we might find out someone is more ready than we thought. I can envision times when Bond would be our best choice to guard a certain player at certain times

4 Likes

Yet another argument** for not redshirting any of our current freshmen:

• One of the bigger issues of last year was that we were undersized at 2-4, and didnā€™t really make up for it athletically. That hurt our defense and our rebounding.
  • Bond or Dunn emerging enough to play the 3/SF about 10-15 minutes a game would allow us to get closer to the reasonable ceiling of this team. If either can play the 3, then we have someone who is right-sized and has plus athleticism. That unlocks Armaan to play the 2 (and lets I-Mac focus on the 2) where he is correctly sized, and is more likely to be able to shoot better from the perimeter. And it lets us play our two PGs more as pure point guards. And it gives us more flexibility at the 4/5, too (though admittedly, less impactful there than at the guard spots).
  • Two chances at something are better than one.
  • Tony is an awesome hoops coach, and has a keen eye for talent, but his ability to predict the future is as limited as anyone elseā€™s (said better - heā€™s better than you or me at predicting the future w/r/t the talent on his team than you or I, but he lacks perfect foresight).
  • Play both of them and see who works and give this team its best shot to hit some of the more optimistic predictions that tend to proliferate on fan message boards before the season gets started.

** To convince all of you (LRA posters), that is, not to convince Tony, who I knew doesnā€™t read my posts and shouldnā€™t read my posts (but if you are reading, Tony, please stop. And please stream the Blue-White game.).

4 Likes

Haney, did you dress up as a red shirt for halloween? missed opportunity otherwise

5 Likes

Fun fact - The origin of the term redshirt was likely from Warren Alfson of the University of Nebraska who, in 1937, asked to practice but not play and wore a Nebraska red shirt without a number.

Detail - After one year on the freshman squad, he asked the schoolā€™s permission to continue practicing, but to not play, so that he could get himself into proper condition as well as to wait for the upperclassmen ahead of him to graduate. This made Alfson the first recorded redshirt in Cornhusker history, and likely the first in collegiate history - the inventor of ā€œredshirtingā€ - a jersey with the Nebraska color, but without a number.

12 Likes

Am just posting as there may be people on LRA who are from the same area or even knew this guy. Incredibly sad

7 Likes

Nebraska sucks

His redshirt paid off. Became an AA

Tony when being asked about decision to redshirt Bond/Dunn:

6 Likes

All in all, while Iā€™m not a redshirt fan, that was probably the least objectionable color of the colored shirt trend that was popular in the 1930s.

1 Like

WHAT!?!?

6 Likes

Where we are this week ā€¦ yes thereā€™s a game ā€¦ and yes our schedule prevents us from attending the game ā€¦. Uuuuuggggghhhh

1 Like

@haney look, a new dumb NCAA thing that happened: https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1589658403286450176?s=46&t=s6zPbL2lGA0VsLwHKFc8Wg

2 Likes