šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

Yeah, have seen that. Apparently the SoCon is the only conference to not allow no sit-outs from intra-conference, I think.

Tbh, I get the instinct to restrict those, but at some point the rear guard action seems a bit arbitrary and cruel to a particular kid.

Random factoid ā€“ for those who still think that height is an important factor in college hoops:

Assuming we play the expected starting lineup, NC Central, a low major, will be taller than us by at least 2 inches at 4 of 5 starting sports.

Apparently, NC Central likes to play inside out, which is why they are abnormally tall for a low major, but still telling of some of the issues that remain with our starting lineup that no amount of experience or depth will help us solve (To be fair, depth can, by definition, never solve an issue with the starting lineup, I guess, so cheap shot by me, but you get what you pay for).

1 Like

I like their coach alot as well. MotonI believe who was a great, tough player. Assume his team plays with his personality

3 Likes

Lavelle Moton, who I always confuse with Lawrence Moten (who I liked, even though he went to Cuse)

2 Likes

This is hilarious ā€¦ I talked years ago about how to do this ā€¦ especially in college games where the clock only stops after made baskets in the last minute instead of last 2 minutesā€¦

6 Likes
3 Likes

I always knew I liked you DTW! They are playing great.

Itā€™s too funny that itā€™s only a 6 point game with a ton of time and that poor sap from Detroit panics and takes himself out of the play creating a 5 on 4 fast break and a wide open three for the best player in the league right now ā€¦ lol

Sam Blum voted for Shohei ohtani for AL MVP. I now regret sticking up for the kidā€¦

2 Likes

Ignore - messing around

• A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J

0 voters

Still messing around:

Test - ignore, or donā€™t!

0 voters

Iā€™m excited to see the results of these polls.

4 Likes

@DavetheWave Hereā€™s my idea: Have a biweekly poll where folks pick the elite 8. (More than that gets cumbersome). Iā€™d have to list the top 30-40 teams ā€“ which would stay constant throughout the year, and folks would check 8. Probably post it Sunday night or so, and leave open until mid-day Tuesday or so. (Not many games on Monday).

Most teams picked correctly come the elite 8, cumulatively over the season, is the winner. Winner gets to feel special about themselves.

Or I could do Final 4, and make my life much easierā€¦ Just spitballingā€¦

I knew 3 would win

4 Likes

Once again, proving that 3 is indeed the magic number. RIP Shannon Hoon

2 Likes

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you did itā€¦ picking the Final Four might quickly become a repetitive thing where we all quickly settle on the same 4 teams with little variation. If youā€™re hoping for shifting assessments, 8 teams would likely give you more of that.

In fact, even if youā€™re just going for ā€œTop 4ā€, getting each person to vote for 8 gets you a better answer.

1 Like

Yeah, it looks like thereā€™s a cut/paste shortcut on listing the teams inside the poll builder, so I think I could just do it once. The work would be (1) remembering to do it, and (2) counting the results at the end of the year.

Frankly, not sure if folks really even care about #2. Iā€™m mostly interested in the results of the poll, and how they change over time. Fair point on just 4 teams. 8 introduces more variation, plus effectively lets you do a ā€œtop 10ā€.

Elite 8 poll - Nov 29 (test)
  • UNC
  • Gonzaga
  • Houston
  • Kentucky
  • Baylor
  • Kansas
  • Duke
  • UCLA
  • Creighton
  • Arkansas
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Indiana
  • TCU
  • Auburn
  • Villanova
  • Arizona
  • Virginia
  • San Diego State
  • Other

0 voters

A few snags: only allows 20 options. So I just picked the top 19 from the preseason AP poll, and added an ā€œotherā€ category. Which I guess folks would have to declare. Meh, getting to be a bit less interesting that wayā€¦ Oh wellā€¦

Plus I forgot to make it min/max 8. Oh well. I should probably go and do my real job.

Youā€™d probably want to start with the current Top 19 (I wanted to vote Purdue and UConn) and then each week rotate out teams that got no votes in favor of teams that got called out as an Other. Thatā€™s a pain, but the list would presumably stabilize before long.

I thought this was your real job.

1 Like