šŸ™„ No Holds Barred Thread - A Haney/DavetheWave Production

@haney try to articulate my point better without getting bogged down in the merits of high school rankings too much: I agree Jennings is a question mark. But I think most players we land are question marks. Buchanan with adding weight and learning defense. Bond and Dunn with their shooting. Gertrude now with his knee recovery. Debating these questions marks is half the conversation on the board over the summer lol

I mainly just want to get out against the notion I see Jennings would be an uninspiring addition. Like we are adding a Badocchi or Caffaro or McKoy type of guy. I donā€™t agree with that. Jennings has legit length and athleticism. He has tools to be excited about defensively. I think Mark Adams signing him out of high school is another reason to be excited about his defense. I also like the fact Tony liked him out of high school and was interested before filling up.

I also think we need one of these guys every two years. We havenā€™t landed one in 5 years. Imo Jennings has a decent shot to pan out to at least the Atkins/Wilkins junior year level (aka not saying their ACC DPOY seasons) while not scaring off a more highly rated athletic 4/5 in the 2024 class. I donā€™t get why people are down on the prospect. Iā€™d add Minor, Jennings (or another Sophmore), and then another athletic 4/5 in 2024. Get the pipeline back on track

4 Likes

I agree with legit length and athleticism and good defensive tools. And Iā€™m also hoping he wouldnā€™t scare off a more highly rated guy. Though that will really depend on how we use him.

Always enjoy the banter. Thanks.

1 Like

Also, @lodger96 subsequently made the Atkins / Mitchell comparison. I think those are fair comparisons and Iā€™d hope Jennings gets there (unless he stays in Lubbock, of course). I mean, I guess I will still vaguely wish him well.

3 Likes

Yea I mean thatā€™s essentially my frustration: for 3 years weā€™ve all been clamoring for an Akil/Darion/Zay/Mamadi. Tony goes out and targets 2 of them!! Reaction is largely ā€˜oh now why would we do that?ā€™ Lol imo we should be intentional about re-establishing one of those guys every other class. A grad transfer, rising sophomore, and a 2024 would do that nicely

5 Likes

I think you have this group confused with other groups in the:
ā€œI trust Tony crowd so donā€™t opine differently than what he thinks.ā€
Tony is ā€˜cruitinā€™ him so his #412 ranking doesnā€™t mean anything. Funny.

Que?

Really?
Minor was unrated as a recruit (meaning not top 500) and has been playing at a very low level of competition since.
Jennings was a composite #211 recruit. And did very little as a freshman in college for a bad team.

Akil and Darion were ages ago before rankings were as accurate as now. All the way back to 2011 and 2010 when UVA was still not very good and had to take chances on lower ranked guys - but lengthy and athletic at least.
Wilkins was #146 nationally and Diakite was #32 nationally - our highest rated recruit under CTB.

How many guys not ranked in the top 200 since 2011 have been high level starters that produced efficiently on at least one end of the floor?

yes thatā€™s exactly what I said

What were San Diego Stateā€™s bigs ranked? Houston on their Final Four team? Those teams from ancient past, ya know

Also Iā€™d argue the rankings were more accurate in the 2010/11 range than they are now. Many of the best guys have left the business. Now you have people like Jamie Shaw trying to rank all top 150 players by themselves

1 Like

Do you have UVA confused with other programs that actually develop their bigs?

1 Like

Like Akil and Darion that you just listed?

Also if you think we donā€™t develop bigs then why do you care who we target? We donā€™t land finished products and whoever we land wonā€™t be developed anyway so what does it matter?

2 Likes

We just landed 2 in Traudt and Buchanan.
Your words are finished product - not mine.
Mine is high level talent that produces and gets better every year they are at UVA.
Akil and Darion both improved a lot more after UVA than while in college. So did Tobey.

I would also like a Traudt replacement! Look Dave there are two separate but related objections I see:

a) Minor and/or Jennings arenā€™t good enough

b) I donā€™t like Minor and Jennings from a roster fit

I think A is reasonable. Iā€™m not sold on Minor myself. But Iā€™ve seen a decent amount of b too. And, what I was originally (and clumsily) trying to argue against is ā€˜aā€™ used as the foundation of the reason for b, if that makes sense. And I donā€™t think itā€™s correct. I think a grad transfer 4/5 and another sophomore 4/5 is ideal. And then add another one, hopefully ranked more like Mamadi, in the 2024 class. I think thatā€™s how we get back to peak Bennett ball. Houston and SDSU won a ton of games with that type of roster construction the last 3-4 years, which is why I brought their Final Four teams into the discussion.

4 Likes

I vote A for Minor and for Jennings heā€™s a project, so not helping next year.

2 Likes

I think if you told me that we got a high major big like Daron Holmes, along with Minor and Jennings, Iā€™m happy. But if it is just Minor and Jennings, I get a little nervous. My guess is that if we get Minor and Jennings that we are going to look for a big impact guy in the front court. Maybe Iā€™m being too optimistic though. I like Minor and Jennings but agree it may be a little underwhelming for next year if thatā€™s it.

5 Likes

Minor, Jennings, Dunn, and Buchanan is not bad at all I would think.

Dunn + Minor as your 4 and 5 is WWAAAAAAYYYY more athletic and several inches taller than this yearā€™s frontcourt. and then if Jennings and Buchanan could be a second unit at the 4 and 5 I donā€™t think you can complain at all. Especially if they could get Reece back and one more backcourt shooter.

7 Likes

Minor + Jennings + a good floor spacing big (Amzil a possibility?) + Blue Cain OR a good reclassed '24 CG/PG seems like a good haul.

Minor + Jennings alone seems a little underwhelming.

Shooting / scoring next year is a concern, other than iMac (and Reece, if back, not that heā€™s a marksman), but at least we have a lot of arrows to shoot at the target.

4 Likes

Step up transfers are such a crap shoot. You just never know.

6 Likes

Yeah I think Reece, Imac, transfer shooter, Dunn, Minor

with second unit of: Harris, Eli, Bond, Jennings, Buchanan would be very very good

It is hard to overstate how physically lacking last yearā€™s team was and a bulked up Imac and Dunn (hopefully) a fourth-year reece and physical dudes like Minor and Jennings would go a long way to fixing that

4 Likes

I see both sides. I think those two alone are a little underwhelming. But I do like both players. I also understand the appeal of Dunn, Buchanan, Jennings, and Minor. I think itā€™s very athletic, and young outside of Minor. It would be good to have all of them just get some run even if it sacrifices success in the short term, the long term benefits could be massive

In terms of size, Iā€™m not concerned about lack of size. Iā€™m all in on the Norchad Omier Miami model. But I am concerned about lack of size if weā€™re not making up for it with shot making ability. Not saying this roster canā€™t shoot. But not many have proven that yet.

3 Likes