Non-UVA basketball discussion (misc/old games/etc)

They were one of many media types totally in the tank for that team. It broke their collective hearts when they got dismantled. This is coping.

It was a very good team, but not deserving of the hype, IMO.

1 Like

How many of those 2019 teams did we beat that year?

Only 1 (we only played 2 of them), but it was the one that mattered :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve now listened to most of it, up to the final 4 or so. Interesting concept, execution was a bit meh.

A few clarifying comments, then a couple spoilers.

Clarifying:

• the first 8 teams were from a Ky/Matt/Jim/Jim/Matt/Ky ā€¦ etc. snake draft. The next 8 were selected specifically as foils for the first 8. So the first 8 were the best 8, per their draft. The next 8 were not necessarily the best 8.
  • So Duke 2019 was #2 because Dookie lover Matt took them. He took some ribbing, but not enough.

Spoilers:

• The concept was more fun than the execution. I think the matchups is what would make the concept fun, but they didnā€™t do much matchup stuff. It was more like comparing KenPom Off/Def metrics.
  • Our 2016 team lost to 2021 Baylor in the first round. They loved 2021 Baylor.
  • They love their Zags. Two Zags teams made the final 4. The 2021 team and the 2017 team (who lost to UNC). They tended to overlook those teams flaws.
  • They also love 2021 Baylor. I havenā€™t finished, but I really think theyā€™re leading up to the 2021 rematch.
  • They underrate the 18 Nova team and overrate the 16 team. It almost seemed like they were getting them confused.
1 Like

Yea kinda annoying they had so many matchups that actually (or almost actually) happened. I donā€™t need to know who wouldā€™ve won between 2016 Nova and 2017 UNC when they essentially played that game in real life.

2 Likes
5 Likes

This one used to show up on ESPN classic. Nice to see some Bias footage, too, for those of us who never really watched him.

That 3 point line! Why are they even shooting from inside the arc. Math was apparently invented in 1985. :joy:

3 Likes

And those uniforms!

1 Like

That idiotic 18ā€™ three-point line is the only reason NCSU beat us in the ACCT championship game that year. They wouldnā€™t have even made the NCAAT without winning the ACCT. Even though it screwed us out of an ACCT championship and meant we had to face (and lose to) NCSU again in the Elite Eight, given the way the Final Four played out, Iā€™ve kind of made peace with that stupid line. Plus Woollen Gym at UNC-CH still had that stupid line when I was in law school down there, and I could light it up from 18ā€™, so I had a pretty decent 3PT% in IMs.

And more to your question, word back then was that Coach Holland knew they wouldnā€™t have the line in the NCAAT, so he didnā€™t want our team to utilize it much in ACC play. I think his theory was that we were so good with Ralph we would win almost all our games anyway, so he wanted to play in the regular season the way we would need to play in the NCAAs. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, we can see that Coach Hā€™s strategy didnā€™t work out too well.

5 Likes

I feel like there was a lot more conference variation, in rules, back in the 80s / early 90s. I remember the 6-foul Big East debacle.

1 Like
3 Likes

B1G. Please, please, pleaseā€¦B1G

2 Likes

Damnā€¦DJ Muss had the backup dancersā€¦ahh shitā€¦that some high quality production right thereā€¦.

1 Like

This was WAAAY too cringey for me. Iā€™m still blushingā€¦but hey it is the Tik Tok generation.

1 Like

This was WAAAY too cringey for me. Iā€™m still blushingā€¦but hey it is the Tik Tok generation.

1 Like

No surprise to anyone here, I guess, but 3MW were promoting their hoops preview almanac thing (on latest podcast), and discussed nicest coaches they talked to. First name mentioned: Ritchie McKay.

3 Likes

This is kind of nuts. Got to the be latest 2022 signing for either menā€™s or womenā€™s college basketball, right?

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article/UConn-women-s-basketball-team-adds-point-guard-17399903.php

1 Like

Overtime elite is taking on MegaKK (team we played in italy game 3 and 4). at 12:30 ET streaming on youtube.

5 Likes

Huge boost to our non-non-conference RPI. The Thompson twins are projected top 10 picks in the next draft. Also I was surprised at how well coached OTE was. They were running actual 5 out sets and not just pick n roll iso

6 Likes