Non-UVA basketball discussion (misc/old games/etc)

Fair enough… I would concede that.

1 Like

Yea man. Getting to even the Final 4 is incredibly hard to do

4 Likes

14/15 everyone was great. 19/20 everyone sucked lol

2 Likes

All these betting sites scooping up local beat writers

8 Likes

Which is kind of fascinating.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I’ve long been sad about the decline in journalism (especially local). It suddenly occurs to me that the more things people can bet on, the more incentive Vegas will have to properly cover and market things.

Maybe expanding online gambling to things like political races will save journalism.

2 Likes

True journalism is dead

2 Likes

was kinda shocked bennett is covering betting… power to him and love that he’s taking a step up but man its worrisome as somebody who dreams of a career in this business to keep seeing people in positions I want to be in proceed to take jobs covering betting

9 Likes

I hope I’m wrong for Bennett’s sake but I think this was a poor move, unless it’s just a subject he really enjoys

Man, it’s been crazy watching all these solid reporters get poached by the sports betting companies. Seems like you can’t find any coverage anywhere without some O/U, betting lines, etc. plastered to the top of the page.

5 Likes

Life is long Boy Wonder. play accordingly

5 Likes

Likely doubled his salary or more.
Hard to pass up as a twenty something

Like it or not, now that betting is legal, it’s going to be a big part of sports from now on. It’s where the money is - probably a smart move from Bennett for now and the future

1 Like

Betting is going to be a big part of the future. But is betting journalism? Ehhhhh we will see

It’s not betting journalism that’s the future. Its the betting company’s having the money to spend and the desire to have content. Look at Draft Kings who dumped 50mil into Meadowlark Media essentially bankrollong Dan LeBatard and his growing empire. They arent covering gambling but they are employing journalists and giving them the resources to go out and do what they do best.

5 Likes

Money rules

Lol “Look for him to be an All-SoCon performer and 1,000-point scorer down the road”.

Power 5 programs in the transfer market looking at him like

1 Like

Also JMU’s head coach on the transfer market (in a panel for alumni or something) was asked about it and said "Maryland’s starting pg for 2022-2023 is probably playing on a mid major right now " … he’s not wrong.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hope this doesnt take away from TyTy workin on his game…

3 Likes

Dude was a little plastered lol. But the cop also asking a lot of questions.

I get that no one is perfect but at the same time I have no soft spots for drunken drivers. One “this time is an exception/ive done it before and nothing happened” can quickly turn into someone innocent losing their life.

And on the other hand, isn’t he allowed to call his attorney?

2 Likes