Non-UVA basketball discussion (misc/old games/etc)

rough one there. Coach was lit

1 Like

Pretty benign as far as DUI arrest videos go imo. Absolutely agree with his inclination to refuse the field test. At least if their laws are similar to Virginia’s.

Unfortunately he looks like he was at the exact level that is a problem. That range where you feel fine but your motor skills have already declined.

1 Like

Is that maybe a type of field sobriety test?

Just speculating here (I don’t really know much about this stuff), but it might just be that if he calls his attorney, the cop will just go ahead and arrest him. If you’re not gonna get arrested, you don’t need an attorney present just to chat with the cops. I suppose you could just say something like, I won’t answer any questions or do any tests w/o an attorney, but wouldn’t they just arrest you? The only way you’re going to get out of the situation w/o an arrest is by appearing sober and (maybe) blowing under the legal limit. But I’m sure all this stuff varies by state.

1 Like

Yeah overall nothing crazy or unusual out of this video. You can basically see him clam up and realize the gravity of the situation and he was right to refuse the field sobriety test. The cop was edging him on a bit, but I’ve seen and been a part of far worse. This could have gone a whole different direction.

2 Likes

He literally acted exactly the way I did in 1993 in Dallas TX for getting a ticket for urinating in public

5 Likes

To be fair the public actually used to be bathrooms before toilets and sewage systems were invented.

5 Likes

That’s one way to look at it. And also that tweet is misleading. If I recall, the NCAA had nothing to do with Few and his suspension that’s a school issue. I’m all for bagging on the NCAA but gotta get it right.

2 Likes

I think the suspension on Gonzaga’s part is getting ahead of any NCAA punishment, if there is any.

Does the NCAA have jurisdiction over that? Few’s DUI has nothing to do with his players or the basketball program.

I think the one game suspension is relatively appropriate and fair but it’s total bullshit that it’s against Dixie State

2 Likes

I don’t think so. I think the Sandusky/Paterno NCAA stuff was controversial (to say the least), but in that case, there was a tie to all sorts of stuff relating to official duties, use of the athletic facilities, etc.

I can’t think of any NCAA issues implicated here.

2 Likes

The part of the suspension that’s messed up is they are calling it a 3 game suspension and counting their exhibition games as real games. One of which was scheduled after the DUI. Cowardly way to go about it. If you think he only deserves a 1 game suspension then suspend him one game. Don’t play dumb and count two D2 scrimmages as games.

3 Likes

I was thinking of Pitino with the waitress as similar situation, and I don’t recall the NCAA stepping in there.

1 Like

I think you can do all sorts of things wrong, including violating criminal laws, and the NCAA won’t get involved unless it gets so bad that it’s that “loss of institutional control” or something like that. Frankly, that may be what Louisville worries about which is why they suspended Mack for stuff that seems not as bad as other stuff that goes on.

I think stuff outside of your official duties is going to be punished by the school, if anyone, not the NCAA.

My view on Few’s punishment is that it needed to include at least the Texas game. Suspending him for midnight madness and the exhibitions just made it silly. Even something like 2 games, but starts with regular season would’ve been credible.

Another point on Mack: apparently part of the 6-game suspension was because he didn’t have a compliance officer present at Dino’s firing. But to me, I read that as: “Hey idiot, this is why we have these rules that you probably consider dumb: so someone with a half a brain can tell you it’s pretty stupid to engage with Dino like this, and avoid having your alleged friend engaged in federal crimes.”

2 Likes

That was always my understanding of the limitations of the NCAA. Imagine any coach would fight a suspension of that nature from the NCAA especially since they are not employed by the NCAA kind of hard to tell them when they can and can’t work and get paid.

I also agree all around. I’m okay with a 1 game suspension but calling it a 3 game suspension and counting a scrimmage is pretty weak.

2 Likes

To tangent off the Few stuff, Jeff Jones must be annoyed about going from C-USA to the Sun Belt, right? Seems like a downward move. C-USA wasn’t awesome but had some years a few years ago where things were very competitive (W.Ky, ODU, Middle Tenn.). I also liked that they would innovate a bit, like matching up the top teams at the end of the year (they kept slots open, and then filled them based on who was doing well, to try to get more teams into the tourney).

2 Likes

CUSA is a dead league. ODU had to get out lest they be left holding the bag with FIU, La Tech, Western Kentucky, UTEP, and Middle Tennessee (assumes Marshall is Sun Belt bound too).

I’m not sure that’s going to qualify for an auto bid to the tourney when it all shakes out. If you’re a men’s hoops program, you can’t be tied to a league without an auto bid.

4 Likes

Great point. CUSA got gutted and doesn’t have much left to show. It is crazy to think that a decade ago they were a power mid-major. The Sun Belt is not prestigious but you’re right at least they have an opportunity to AQ there.

3 Likes

Yep it’s not a great hoops league but Liberty makes the A Sun work so far and that’s worse.

ODU also can’t survive as a FBS football program as an independent or in a dead league.

The Sun Belt is going to give their football program some interesting regional conference games (Marshall, App State, JMU, & Coastal Carolina) at least.

4 Likes

Just looked at the full roster for the Sun Belt, and I agree it’s shaping up to be a pretty fun conference for football.

I can’t help but wonder if Liberty can continue their raise to a major conference. There’s so much smoke around them as an institution and the more well known they become the more scandals etc. keep emerging. I wonder if that will cause some conferences to shy around from courting them.

1 Like