Notre Dame Game Thread

That game was good enough. Just good enough. That’s what we’ll have to settle for this year. Not great, heck, not even good but good enough

4 Likes

Agreed. Those are games we had been losing.

1 Like

This guy has some good stats. Scroll through to see how we could be 19-3 right now… https://twitter.com/DNeckel19

1 Like

I made it to my first game in-person! Great experience, though the stress level in my section was high. Mamadi losing the ball in the backcourt to Hubb was a low point for the crowd, haha, followed by the Braxton FT air all. At first I thought the “get bacon for Notre Dame missing 2 FTs” thing was silly, but the students chanting “bacon” at Mooney was hilarious. I think Mamadi got a little short shrift from the folks in my section; he was doing work out there even if it was a little forced at times.

7 Likes

Games are always so much fun! Especially the duke, Carolina, and all the big ones!

1 Like

Tony Bennett: “This is a different year but it’s our year. And our way is our way… We’ve got each other’s back and we’re all for one.”

5 Likes
2 Likes

5 combined points in OT :rofl: uva had more airballs in OT than ND had points.

Is 20 a season high for MD? I seem to recall 19 for him in a couple games but can’t remember him hitting 20

1 Like

I dont see anything funny. We didnt make a basket in OT. Turnovers in crucial moments. Lazy passes. Airball ft. Just unacceptable. Plus the ND player got fouled at the end of the regulation. There is no way if I played like that, I be laughing. Im just built differently. I think their press conference explains alot about the mental makeup of this team. I can’t say what I really want tu say. Go HOOS.

1 Like

Well said

What’s my feedback for this game? Take every game write-up from this season and plug and play…

Let me get this out the to begin, the Hoos won and that’s the bottom line. The downside is with 7 games left in the year this is exactly who they are. We can joke about the resilience and the stoutness of the defense in the second half, but honest it was pretty abysmal. The offense is flat and putrid at times. Currently the Hoos are a sloppy and frankly not an elite talented team. But they are well coached and they are bought in to the process so you have to ride the wave which includes the good and the bad.

What did I like from this game? The overall effort was solid. I thought the team defense and Jay’s defense against Mooney was very good. Really liked the change to run the double at Mooney in late game situations thought it was good to get the ball out of his hands. I liked that the Hoos stayed out of foul trouble and was able to use that to their advantage in the end. I also really liked the fouling strategy at the end of regulation, that has been an area I’ve been critical of previously in the season.

In some ways this game encapsulated the 2020 Hoos a lot of good and a lot of bad, Jay Huff was the perfect example of this. A quiet game for 2/3s of it and then he went on a mini run. That’s the high water mark for Jay a couple 3’s a nice post move and some defense. The low water mark was two consecutive turnovers after the 8-0 run.

Similar stories can be told for Mamidi and Kihei and Braxton. All contributed with defense, rebounds leadership and some points for Mamidi and Kihei. But they all showed some lack of experience as well. Kihei has to get downhill at the end of regulation settling for a contested 3 is not his game at all. Braxton has to discover his legs it really looks like he is fatigued and struggling to finish off games. The air-ball on the free throw shows that.

Perhaps the most interesting thing to me about this year’s team has become their mental makeup. They are very tough minded and that is good, but they are a very emotional team. Mamidi and Jay wear their emotions on their sleeves. There’s nothing wrong with that, but that mindset also leads to some of the ups and downs in play when it’s good its really good and when it’s not it’s really not. To me perhaps the most dangerous part of this is the highs can lead to lapses in judgement at times.

The win keeps the Hoos in the mix for the NCAA and most importantly in the running for a double bye in the ACC. rest is going to be imperative for this team moving forward.

9 Likes

Just answering my own question here, 21 is MDs season (and career high), vs South Carolina.

Had 19 three games this season and the 20 last night.

Previous career high entering the season was 18.

4 Likes

Curious what people may think his chances are of being drafted into the NBA this season?

2 Likes

I have seen him in the 70’s on some lists of top prospects. Some teams will look unfavorably on his age, but they need to consider his relative newness to the game. Would not be surprised to see him start in the G League.

2 Likes

I wrote about that maybe a month ago. And while I think he’s played more consistently I have not changed my thoughts on his potential/future. The mid 70’s seems about right. Maybe if he test well and plays well at the Combine he could work his way into that late 2nd round. Either way he is a G League project. It just comes down to the contract and the money that teams see in him

3 Likes

The point you make about Mamadi and Jay wearing their emotions on their sleeves is big. The main problem with that is they lose their focus. I never know what to expect when Mamadi shoots a foul shot. Sometimes he swishes 2 and sometimes he will clang it. That is according to how focused he is

1 Like

Didn’t see game as too late for me. But glad they won. Just hoping they make the tournament so I can watch them play in it. Just making tournament as well as any wins in the tournament will be upset wins to celebrate.

2 Likes

how can any game be too late for the World Traveler though? I get it. Mainly with ACCN where I live. Havent always been able to watch and add value in here.

3 Likes

Why don’t you just watch from reddit like I do? I don’t have the acc network either but can still watch every game

2 Likes

I need to figure that out then