Outside UVa Basketball Thread

Na we are the clear favorite. KenPom has us winning by multiple games. Florida State is a good bet for second though.

3 Likes

I see the case for us being favored. Their remaining schedule seems slightly more favorable than ours though, unless the ACC manages to reschedule canceled games. We’ve still got two games against Louisville, road games against VT/Duke/NCST, UNC at home, plus games against Pitt and Syracuse (they’re not good, but not trash). FSU has two against VT, Clemson at home, and a road game at UNC. Everything else they’ve got is pretty mediocre unless Miami gets a lot better when their other starters come back (at GT could be tricky, but we play at GT as well, so that cancels out), and they get to play us at home.

All that is to say, I think we’ve got a really good chance (and think it’s fair to have us as favorites), but I’d also probably rather have their remaining schedule, and they are only one game behind us right now. That game in Tallahassee is probably going to be massive in terms of conference standings at the end of the year.

I guess we need to clarify terms a bit. We were voted first in the preseason. We are favored in KenPom and other computer metrics. All the national media just spent the last 4 days saying we will win the ACC. Even guys who were bashing us and/or the league in the process like Goodman. Objectively we are the favorite.

Agree with you FSU is probably the biggest challenger though and the computers see it that way as well. From what I’ve seen they’ve been a bit more up and down rather than on a consistent upward arch like we have since Gonzaga though. Maybe these last two games are a sign of them starting to put it all together. When they are on they can beat anyone.

1 Like

Definitely. I was more talking about my own opinion as to who should be favorites. You’re undoubtably right about the preseason voting and computer prognostications. I don’t know where to go to check updated betting odds, but I’d generally assume those are in line with the computer projections.

But will be interesting to see whether FSU really figured something out during their COVID break and are no longer the same team that was capable of losing to UCF, or if they are just riding a hot streak against mediocre ACC competition. I always worry about how we match-up against them, and this year is no different (who is Hauser going to guard?) but we are certainly skilled enough to beat them. Although I wouldn’t be shocked if our path to the ACC crown involves us losing against them but not tripping up elsewhere while they drop a few they should win to like Miami and GT.

3 Likes

I think this is the most likely scenario. We lose the head to head at FSU but win the regular season because they drop a few they shouldn’t.

The other factor is who knows how the ACC will handle the regular season title this year if the number of games don’t level out? What happens if we are 12-2 and Florida State is 13-3 and someone like Tech is 14-5?

1 Like

I think it goes to winning percentage

1 Like

Is there a minimum number of games?

1 Like

Looks like no May Madness at the moment. Rumors being circulated about no conference tourneys and instead using the time to make up games. Big 12 already had heavy rumors of such.

5 Likes

I don’t know what kind of kids or students they are but it’s pretty amazing how good the Champagnie twins have been at the college level given how they were ranked and recruited coming out of high school.

1 Like

Duke is literally a worse version of us when Huff isn’t on the floor. 0 rim protection and no real athletes down low. Huff can LITERALLY score 50 on them if he wanted. Along with 30 rebounds. Also Murphy and Hauser will destroy that zone. And Kihei/Reece/Casey will slice and dice them if they switch to man.

2 Likes

Mark Williams, a 5* big man, can’t get any run for a team that desperately needs a big. UNREAL. How can any recruit think that’s where they want to go outside the top 5. I hope the AAU circuit tears Duke a new one for that.

3 Likes

If we are shooting well, it could be another massacre. If we aren’t, it could be pretty ugly.

Oh yeah Duke could beat us. They have the pure talent to. However we also easily have the potential to Clemson them as well. Especially with their horrible zone defense.

1 Like

Another one…

7 Likes

Duh statement I guess but you have to wonder when K retires. I’d guess after next season.

3 Likes

Isn’t K’s grandson a sophomore? Would be odd to retire right before his senior year.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Is he really going to keep going to “coach” his grandson walk-on? Maybe so, no idea.

3 Likes

I would think so. Seems like it would be a pretty nice reward at the end of a career for a guy who never got to coach a son.

4 Likes

Nah they’ll just pull K Bot 5.0 out of the warehouse and he’ll be good for another 5-10 years

4 Likes

Tennessee blownout by a Florida team without 3 of it starters. Bama rolled an LSU team using a faster pace style of our offense/5 out. The Houston Rockets analytics team not only ruined the NBA but also are about to “ruin” college basketball just like we did.

2 Likes