Outside UVa Basketball Thread

That makes sense. I wish we would at least consider it thought

I dont want to jinx itā€¦but the Duke game. If hitting 13 3s is what it takes to beat us, we have nothing to worry about with Duke. Cant even hit their free throws and Steward the only consistent 3 point threat.

Oh wow Roach and Steward didnā€™t start. Guess no 5 star guard should ever go to Duke again now.

4 Likes

Duke looks atrocious. Glass house I know, but just off one game this is the least fearful I have ever been of a Duke team even with their projected growth over the year. No consistent 3 point shooters, point guard play suspect, no rim protect. Their best line up was Roach, Goldwire, Steward, Moore, Johnson at the 5 as a point forward. If we can just reach our potential on our end, we will decimate them.

3 Likes

Jalen Johnson with Zion-like statsā€” 19 pts, 19 rbs, 5 ast, 4 blks, andā€¦ 7 turnovers. Heā€™s a beast and the kind of player weā€™ve had trouble containing with the packline. Fortunately, our game with Duke is at JPJ, and Johnson will have to deal with an intimidating sea of fan cutouts (including mine).

4 Likes

Pretty sure we play @duke

2 Likes

Those stats are against Coppin State. He is not a beast LOL. He also had to play the entirety ofthe game almost. Casey Morsell at 6ā€™3 guarded him well in high school when they played (Jalen got a lot of his points vs someone else). He has those stats out of necessity. Who else is going to put those stats up for this Duke squad?

The eye test, even considering beginning of season and the situation we are in, does not bode well so far for Duke.

ā€¦and Henry Coleman played about 30secs. Also, Trevor, Roach and Moore arenā€™t going anywhere, Very crowded next yr

1 Like

Darn, youā€™re right. Maybe I can buy a fan cutout in Cameron too.

3 Likes

I think Jalen Johnson is going to be very good. But heā€™s def not Zion and the rest of that team is pretty meh

1 Like

Agree I think heā€™ll be more Tatum or Ingram level good. Not Bagley or Zion level dominant though.

2 Likes

Yall know a way to watch Tyson/Jones for free?

1 Like

Iā€™m going to go ahead and call a tech upset right now. Just because. Because thatā€™s how things in the Va sports universe work. We poop the bed, and a day or two later tech pulls some joke out of their ass to make them feel relevant and give them the opportunity to gloat.

Itā€™s absolutely going to happen.

5 Likes

Mike Young is a good coach and this is year 2; still a work in progress but looking for the next step. If they do somehow pull this off still not sure if it is progress or like their upset of Michigan state last year.

Gillespie has 18 of Novas 29 first points

1 Like

Even with most of the same personal VT looks far more athletic this year. The two new bigs are a big upgrade

Michigan State murdering Notre Dame. Itā€™s been a while since Notre Dame has been tournament good.

1 Like

Yeah VT really taking advantage of their inside presence and their taller guards getting physical and exploring weak penetration D. Dont know if we are aggressive in either of those aspect to exploit them as well

Gillespie has been fantastic. Has Villanova on his back.

I thought Justin Moore was going to the league after this year? Lol