Outside UVa Basketball Thread

Reminds me of Billy Baron

Ha. Whos that?

6 foot guard we had out of Rhode Island in 2011. Transferred out after his first semester - ended up at Canisius and think he led the nation in scoring his senior year.

5 Likes

Oh shit he is nice. Lets get him on Pod cast Wonder why he left

1 Like

If I remember correctly his dad coached at Rhode Island and he left to play for him. Then his dad took the job at Canisius. Followed his dad. Plays professionally in Russia last I heard.

1 Like

Man I have no clue. Just wanna find out why he came to Uva and then broke out. Looks like he is playing in Russia now maybe

2 Likes

My recollection is his heart just wasn’t in it. Virginia was by far his best offer, but he really wanted to play his pops.

1 Like

Baron was in TB’s first recruiting class with Harris & Akil. He was the leading scorer in the season opener. All went south from there. Fell out of the rotation and moved on. Dad as a head coach made it an easy decision I assume. . He wasn’t heavily recruited. Sort of a flier.

3 Likes

makes sense.

1 Like

Rugby Road gets the best of em maybe

3 Likes

Thought I remembered this story from USA Today. Amazed it is still online.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6142023

4 Likes

Unreal

1 Like

This is the Billy Baron story I remember. CBS talked to him about his experience playing in Lithuania when the Ball brothers signed there.

CBS: What’s the thing you tell your friends about it that they have trouble believing?

BB: One of my first games there, there was a brawl in the stands that carried onto the court. My coach used to sell meat out of the trunk of his car after practice.

5 Likes

Ha. incredible

1 Like

Billy’s older brother Jimmy, who played for their dad at Rhode Island, was a serious sniper. Dude had sick range.

2 Likes

Random memory but I ran into Joey Hoops and Billy Baron together once at a U of R vs Rhode Island game during their first year, Billy’s dad was coaching URI at the time. They were definitely tight

5 Likes

Daye Jr. is childhood best friends with Trey Murphy. Spoke with him a while back. Don’t think he’s what they’re looking for though.

3 Likes

A two guard that averages 17pts a game. Nah why would we need that :wink:

4 Likes

Because he shoots under 30% from 3 on his career haha

1 Like

But maybe he can boogie…

1 Like