Outside UVa Recruiting

Texas sucks

Oh brother

Is that all you got Mrs. Beard?

2 Likes

He was never like that lol it’s a fictitious image of him UVA fans made so we could feel like the ‘good guys’ won when it was UVA-Texas Tech final. Good beat bad when Bennett beat Pearl and Beard beat Izzo type of deal. But that’s never who Beard was. It’s who UVA fans wanted him to be.

3 Likes

Yeah, Beard is a guy who worked his way up from really cruddy jobs (ABA, I believe) to his (I assume) dream job, at his alma mater. And now he’s acting like a guy who has his dream job and thinks he’s pretty cool for it.

I think I liked Beard when he seemed more like a striver and like him less now that he has the corner office. Does that say something more about me than him? Yeah, probably.

The other thing going on here is that grown ass men trying to appeal to HS kids is always going to be a little cringey. Tony has found a way to do it that seems more genuine and less cringy, while Beard is doing it in the more obvious way - cue Steve Buscemi skateboard gif.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

11 Likes

MUSIC :zap:BAND is such a good band though. Their third album “OUR THIRD ALBUM” is criminally underrated.

3 Likes

First off it wasn’t “UVA” that presented that image of him. It was how he was presented in the media. Don’t self deprecate or take out your frustrations on the rest of us fans.

And I stick with my assertion of him being cringey, duplicitous, and of Eric Musselman caricature.

Not sure how you got frustrated from my previous comment but I hope your Sunday is going well. Realistically they always do puff pieces on the final four coaches lol even Pearl had some about the (self-inflicted) adversity he had to face to get to the top of the sport. Since that Final Four I’ve seen UVA fans try to put Beard in the category of TB or Jay Wright. I haven’t seen that from other fan bases or the national media.

All I’m saying is Beard never was the guy you are saying he used to be. I’m not commenting on if you (or anyone else) like Beard or not. Just saying he’s always been what he is and for whatever reason (if you don’t like my interpretation of how it got started that’s fine) UVA fans had an incorrect perception of him. Now that perception is starting to change but Beard isn’t really changing who is. Our fan base is just realizing we had the wrong idea on him.

BTW not really important but I love the Muss Buss. I wouldn’t necessarily want him to coach UVA (if TB didn’t exist) but the sport is better with some coaches willing to show personality imo

Buzz Williams is like that for me. Have to admire the grind and he has a great story but man he does some odd things.

2 Likes

I think Muss is good for the sport. He’s a lot to take, and I wouldn’t fit with his personality, but net net, college hoops is more fun with him.

2 Likes

Also I think Texas Tech in 19 was compared to Virginia in terms of style of play/ defense and even roster make up in some ways. So maybe at the surface we were all like “Beard gotta be great cause he is doing it the TB way”. The years since 19 seem to have changed that especially with the Texas move?

Be like if TB went to UCLA and was asking TMZ to chase him all over town… kinda

8 Likes

Yea those teams were pretty similar on the court. But even that Texas Tech team had 3 transfers in their top 5 mpg guys. Beard has always gone about it one season at a time rather than trying to build around a core class of high schoolers like Tony has done with 2012, 2016, and now 2022.

1 Like

I seem to remember Beard being pretty gracious in defeat and complimentary of our team in the tunnel interview right after the game. He won huge respect point from me that night.

I think some of these flashier tactics since he left for UT just make me more grateful to have CTB on our sideline.

I think Beard is a terrific coach and is willing to do what he needs to do in order to run the best performing program he can.

I chalk it up to him using the tools he has, and his toolbox is different at UT than it was at TT. I prefer the TTU version, but I’m obviously not his intended audience.

6 Likes

I’m getting far afield now, but Beard’s challenge is going to be similar to Shaka’s. Keep enough of what made him successful while still taking advantage of the better recruiting platform that Texas has. Shaka couldn’t do it. Last year for Beard was meh. Plus now he’s doing it with his defensive guru, who has turned out to be a pretty good HC.

3 Likes

Yea that’s going to be interesting to watch over the next few seasons. After last year my gut says Adams was actually they key to their success and Texas Tech will outperform Texas over the next 5 years.

4 Likes

Who is the coach?

again the narrative (I hate that word) was Beard like TB was doing it with grown men with experience not just a bunch of one or 2 years guys although he did have the local OAD in Carver

Mark Adams was his “defensive coordinator” at TT and now has the head job.

3 Likes

One would think Beard could take Adams’s philosophy on D with him quite easily. Hoo knows

1 Like

It’s the no middle defense, pretty straight-forward to understand with regards to its philosophies and is one of the more commonly ran schemes in CBB nowadays. Scott Drew has been using it the past couple of years and helped him win a national title, even if defense wasn’t necessarily the main strength of that team. But nobody runs it like Mark Adams, he basically invented/perfected the no middle and is kinda similar to TB with the packline in that he knows all the in’s and out’s and isn’t willing to compromise its core principles much outside of a few tweaks. That’s why Beard made sure to have him on staff when he was given the head job at Arkansas Little Rock.

4 Likes