Outside UVa Recruiting

Coaches look at them all at some point. Dunlap’s good. He was the best player on Bronny’s team this summer.

4 Likes

Translation: Iowa state lock.

3 Likes

Dunlap’s dad is buds with Gottfried. Was his assistant at both Alabama and NC State. And currently his assistant at CSUN I think (one of the cali schools?). Former UCLA player.

I would imagine this is a strong landing spot. UCLA was looking for a wing shooter and went 0-3 (Kaiser, little Peja, and Stromer who committed to Gonzaga).

Im assuming we have some connection there with Tony being a former west-coaster and our recruitment of Juzang out of Harvard Westlake.

1 Like

I didn’t know NIL deals could be offered to recruits. Also this ramp up randomly out of nowhere; is it that syracuse donors are in desperation mode? LOL.

1 Like

NIL is so broken. I’m all for college kids being able to cash in on their name/fame, but stuff like this and what just happened with the QB going to Florida just feels gross.

4 Likes

Gross isn’t the word for it. The slow death of college sports is a more accurate in my mind - and maybe not that slow. How long before a “team” starts dictating to the coach about pace of play, etc. Getting one fired. It’s the trajectory.

I live deep in SEC country and even my SEC friends are worried.

1 Like

Playing time drives NIL and NIL will end up driving pressure on coaches.

1 Like

Why don’t we have a rich booster stepping up and going after these recruits?

UVa has never been the “make sure your rich boosters know your recruits” type. The rich boosters just Trust Tony!

BUT once they are Hoos rich boosters are more likely to help if asked

5 Likes

Cause Tony wouldn’t allow it even if someone wanted to do it.

Nothing wrong with NIL, but when it’s the priority over everything else it’s an issue.

5 Likes

The Cav Futures plan seems, in theory anyway, to be the best approach for us. We’ll see how it goes.

2 Likes

How does it work in practice? And has it made players any money so far?

I know that. Im talking about someone operating outside with Tony not involved at all. But i guess once he did he wouldn’t be very happy

He’s even said if a player’s priority is NIL that UVA is probably not the school for them

1 Like

Saw on the Villanova board, the word around the Philly area is that Jalil Bethea was offered $1 million by that Syracuse donor for NIL

1. At what point do the players already on the team be like “Where is my $1 million? You giving $1 million to an unproven high school player who isn’t even ranked that high?”
  2. Why offer a kid $1 million when you havent even seen them at their last Peach Jam when that player could end up being really bad?
  3. Wonder if this makes Maliq Brown go like “Im not getting paid that much? If Im going to play for free I might as well go to UVA”. lol.
12 Likes

Dang. The scrap metal business must be good these days.

7 Likes

All reasons I think the market will correct itself at some point. Not sure of the source of the change but it will happen.

6 Likes

When I get good seats to NYC sporting events, it’s usually b/c I sit with my bro who gets tix from some guy who has a sidewalk shed business. Which in NYC is pretty much a license to print $$. I can imagine scrap metal being lucrative…

Shout out “How to with John Wilson - episode 2”

4 Likes

Just like anything else. If someone is doing someone else will. Donors spend big money on other things to help a team, no reason to think they won’t continue to do so with players. NIL isn’t an investment, its just a way to keep up with other programs. Any change will have to be top down imo.

1 Like

I estimate his business makes $20-30mm a year

Their website says ~$750 million in revenue, and it’s probably a low-single digit after-tax margin kind of operation, depending on how it’s financed.

3 Likes