Outside UVa Recruiting

Probably a smart move on his part. I’m still not sold on him as an HC, but I definitely don’t think he can do what K did with a new group of OADs every year.

3 Likes

Gonna be funny watching them try to get the hype machine going about solid 4 year contributors. “Brian Zoubek is a PROBLEM :triumph::triumph:

6 Likes

Exactly- Now they may not sell one and done to players like TJ Power anymore and take them from us…with that said TB needs to ease up on the Redshirt schtick so we can *land TJ Power like players that actually want to begin playing sooner than later.

3 Likes

We still aren’t going to out recruit Duke for guys they really want regardless of whether they’re taking one and dones. It’s brand power.

Maybe if they’re mediocre for like four straight years and aren’t putting guys in the league at the same rate, you could see things change, but it’ll be a while.

2 Likes

So Scheyer’s plan is to leave the cupboard stocked with upperclassmen for the coach who replaces him.

2 Likes

Translation: We’re shifting our holdings to the transfer market.

15 Likes

I think it’ll be easy for them - and a problem for us - to trade on their brand to get the best 3-4 year players available and start building in that stability and experience. They can get all the #25 to #75 players they want and even maybe a single top-10 guy each year. That caliber of player with experience will yield a consistent top 10 team. We get guys that are around #50 but haven’t been getting them every year.

1 Like

This is hilarious. My second favorite thing on the internet today … first being the quote tweets on that horrendous Jack Antonoff cover of “Hard Day’s Night.”

3 Likes

But what this means is that instead of re-loading with players in our range every year ie- taking our potential recruits, they may only do that every 2-4 years which means that in those 4 years that their cupboard is full we will be able to grab the players that we want that they *cannot take.

1 Like

Well, yes, but we have enough challenge getting those guys without them fishing those waters.

If they keep a 3 year cycle, they can recruit 4 guys a year - a top 10 and 3 guys in the 25-75 range that will stay. That also will allow a top shelf transfer to fill gaps. I don’t know who will be getting the other top 10’s that used to go to Duke, but it’s probably the Alabama or Kansas type and definitely not us.

It’s be a great formula for them and the Duke brand would facilitate it without knowing if Scheyer is good long-term. Personally, I think he’s doing fine and he appeals to recruits.

1 Like

Yeah I agree the other top 10’s won’t come to us and likely will still go to the SEC teams and Kansas etc. But that also means that the guys that were going to the SEC, Kansas and Big 12 in the Top 50-75 range *may come to us- however before they trickle down to use there would be *alot more hands in that pot…so we will have to see how that goes.

We’re not offering a lot of kids in that 35-75 range. We’re selective in looking for the good UVA/Bennett-fit kids. So I’m not worried about competing with most SEC schools because we’re looking for different kind of kids. Duke gets same type of kids as us, but they were getting the elite-level ones that we weren’t really competitive for. Now we may be looking at direct competition for the type of kid and level of player. But Duke wins those battles almost always. So what has always been challenging just gets a little bit harder is my guess.

1 Like

VT I assume

4 Likes

yup. If they get Juke Harris too that would be a haul for the wings at the 3/4 spot.

They aren’t getting Juke, only got this cat because he played for Jones

1 Like

Damn they’re blowing out our 2024 class

Wearing Cattoor’s jersey is kind of hilarious

15 Likes

omg he really is wearing Cattoor’s jersey. And we complain about not having a # choice for recruits photoshoot. VT rips them out of players lockers.

19 Likes

VT staff “uhh… try this on see if it fits… or you can go to the bookstore and buy one. I dunno we don’t do this often…”

11 Likes

Man if it wasnt a young kid I would run with this one on Twitter

3 Likes