Outside UVa Recruiting

I’d forgotten he was in The Ring.

5 Likes

what drives such a late entry? promised NIL coming through? you’d think this guy would have had a market from the start, and clearly has been at Marshall long enough to have a feel for what he’d have experienced there…

Bulldogs have 15 schollies? Is there some SEC waiver that I don’t know about? (TIC)

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/georgia

I don’t think the VC chart is quite right on Georgia’s scholarship situation. Bridges and McBride are out of eligibility I think (each has played 5). Roberts is gone to the draft.

1 Like

I am late on this, but I am trying to understand. Are people saying that a slur against Christians is acceptable, but a homophobic remark is comparatively much worse?

1 Like

He used a derogatory word that is homophobic, yes he did combine it with Catholic, but the main issue is the derogatory word. That’s what the original poster was explaining. I’m a Christian and am not offended but maybe it would be if i was catholic and/or a Xavier student. I don’t think we really need to discuss this further without delving into politics and nuking this thread …

6 Likes

No - nobody said this. In fact, those of us who weighed in on this (i.e., thinking Huggy made only anti-Catholic comments) said exactly the opposite. I shouldn’t have gotten into this weighing of slurs and I will now get out of it. I have no further comment on Huggy’s comments. I look forward to talking about hoops with all of you and I don’t look forward to talking about anything else.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks for clearing that up, and for declaring I can’t respond. The point was rhat people thought the derogatory statement was just fine against Cathoics, but realized it was serious when it was homophobic. I can ask for clarification, right? Is that okay with you? Now I understand. Thanks.

Alright. Got it.

2 Likes

Your post said “deragatory against Christians” which I didn’t really agree with. And you’re welcome to keep talking, I’m just speaking from message board experience that this thread will prob get nuked

2 Likes

Alright. I got upset. I apologize.

1 Like

The discussion has been pretty civil… no reason to nuke the thread unless it gets out of hand. We are good… let’s get back to “Outside UVa Recruiting”.

9 Likes

Pivoting to ACC talk, I’m quite skeptical on Matthew Cleveland as an impact player. He looks the part athletically, but even with his step forward from 3 last year, his effective field goal% was still pretty bad because he shoots pretty bad from 2, especially for a guy with his length and athleticism. He produces barely any steals and blocks, and the on-off numbers aren’t good when it comes to his defensive impact. I guess the optimistic case is that 1) he was a highly ranked recruit, so he might take a big step forward developmentally and 2) FSU is bad and he will be walking into a better offensive environment. However, he’s also a part of why FSU was bad, and having two bleh seasons in a row makes me think he’s not as good as his recruit ratings suggests.

1 Like

He was a 5-star recruit out of HS that couldn’t shoot… I’m not sure he would be considered a 5-star anymore…

5 Likes

I was pretty unimpressed by both he and Warley for FSU last year. I thought they’d make a big frosh–>soph leap and by and large, they didn’t.

1 Like

Also, as portal season dies down and normal offseason banter starts to divert again from recruiting banter, don’t forget about this thread:

(ha ha, also realize that Huggy was at the top of that one, too). @jazznutUVA Can I get an OCD merit badge for this act? :wink:

3 Likes

@haney Good?

2 Likes

Ha ha! No, it’s horrible! :wink:

1 Like

Did you know all those teams reached out to him in four hours?

https://twitter.com/andrew__slater/status/1656010973864501267?s=46&t=uWWx_Dkz2XN_W22Ad1tnww

I recall UNC thinking they had a chance but I guess that never materialized. I guess he is serious about NBA development …

1 Like