Outside UVa Recruiting

How did I know you were going to chime in here

3 Likes

From the little I’ve gathered, that may be a situation we are in? I’ve heard the words “competitive” or “very competitive” but I have not heard we are on the higher end of the base scale. Thoughts?

4 Likes

That’s a valid point. Our guys aren’t making as much as Creighton’s but they do pretty well. I think the difference is that seems to be a big part of Creighton’s recruiting these days, whereas at UVA recruits have to dig to find out what’s available haha

7 Likes

I think it’s interesting that this board can look at a situation like Creighton and think it’s a dumpster fire but then turn and look at a very similar situation here and conclude that it’s not

2 Likes

Probably because they are not that similar. We didnt have two huge contributors transfer out. Lost a guy who could be a contributor.

5 Likes

Because they are about to lose 4 starters to the transfer portal from a team that went to the elite 8. Our situation isn’t really that comparable. lol. And our roster is currently in a healthier state than Creighton’s is.

When has UVA ever had 4 proven starters transfer out rather than return together after an elite 8 appearance?

And it has nothing to do with UVA at the same time. Even if you want to somehow believe we’re a dumpster fire, that’s irrelevant to also acknowledging Creighton as an actual dumpster fire.

11 Likes

Lol Creighton is in a substantially better situation than we are right now. Just check Bart Torvik. We went from contender/fringe contender status next year to bubble squad. That’s a much bigger fall or at least comparable fall to wherever Creighton shakes out.

Why would any preseason metric matter in the age of portal. We are a completely different team, we have no idea how any of these pieces are going to fit.

Again it’s not a comparison. It was meant as a one off remark about another program and UVA wasn’t even mentioned. No need to go out of the way.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m heartbroken we won’t be able to hang that Bart Torvik banner in JPJ next year.

Seriously, though, we’re already running up the white flag now for next year? How about we play some games first before we fall into despair?

13 Likes

UVA lost 4 starters off the title team - the best 3 of which could have returned. And only one has been a rotation NBA guy - so it’s virtually the same thing. Does it really matter if they have eligibility left if they transfer to pros or college? We haven’t won a madness game since. So I would say it really doesn’t matter.
One could even say it was the same in 2016 - losing 5 rotation guys. Took 3 more years to win a game in the madness.
Losing a bunch of guys regardless how it happens will always hurt the non blue bloods a lot unless your name is one of the Arkansas or Alabama’s of the world who can reload year over year in the transfer portal.

Imagine being at a restaurant ordering a sandiwch
“Hey Ill have the Turkey Sandwich with pickles”

And then someone at another table chimes in
“What? Eating Turkey? When UVA has only beaten Virginia Tech once in the last 20 years in football?”. Like Im still gonna order the turkey sandwich, ya know?

10 Likes

lol - good one

Yes absolutely it does matter. It speaks to the culture of the program. Versus seeing Guy and Jerome and Hunter leave for other teams.

None of those guys were starters on an elite 8 team

It matters in this case because of the point @HoozGotNext mentioned. Creighton’s big recruiting pitch is NIL. It appears to be their main focus. Definitely not putting guys in the NBA outside coach’s son. Guys leaving to better paying gigs shows their pitch isn’t going to be as effective.

8 Likes

I just think if you call what is happening at Creighton a dumpster fire then you should probably call what’s happening here a dumpster fire. Because both programs have gone from contenders to non-contenders over an offseason

But that’s just what you think. What you think is not the same as absolute truth. I dont think UVA is a dumpster fire because we didn’t lose anywhere near the talent Creighton did and still have 5 top 100 kids between 2022 and 2023. McKneely and Dunn showed more in-game potential than anyone left on Creighton in terms of being a future NBA player.

And we beat Creighton for a top target for both schools in Rohde who has a high ceiling. Gertrude and Buchanan are talented. We have something that atleast shows a glimpse of getting back on track.

I think Creighton is a dumpster fire because they are going to lose 4 starters to other schools even though they are already getting paid handsomly. That’s unheard of and absolutely a qualifier for a dumpster fire. And that’s absolutely my opinion only. I wasn’t trying to argue otherwise.

12 Likes

Ashworth+Alexander+Kalkbrenner+BAylorS. alone is enough that they won’t be a dumpster fire.

If they lose Alexander and Kalk, then yeah, not great. Ash+Baylor+Farabello and re-heated Fish could be not bad.

3 Likes

I once dreamt of a world where I could click on a thread where less than 50% of the new posts aren’t replies to ignored accounts.

That dream is dead.

5 Likes

I just don’t think that’s the generally used definition of dumpster fire. Like a hypothetical team that has their whole starting line up transfer out due to culture issues and a hypothetical team that graduates their whole starting line up may both not be contenders the next season, but they aren’t the same. I don’t think most fans would call the second a dumpster fire.

Note, I’m not talking directly about UVA or anybody else - just definition of the term. Context matters.

3 Likes

Where would your content come from if you didn’t have those accounts? Your shtick would be useless

2 Likes

Here’s a pro-tip: Stop having dreams. Life becomes more easier when you let the tide of each day wash you along the shore however it wants.

3 Likes