Planning the Spring Patch Job (blog)

Lets just not say that please…

11 Likes

Technically, anyone can leave at any time. We don’t usually think that way, but it’s true. This year, it is REALY true.

However, some departures are more likely than others. A guy who’s been around a couple years and hasn’t established himself with regular playing time and hasn’t developed like he’d like? Higher risk.

Player who established himself as a starter while a true freshman and was playing starter minutes on a ranked team that won their conference? I mean, sure, they might transfer for personal reasons or they really hate the situation. But first and foremost, they’re there to play ball for a good team. Why go through uprooting yourself and building new relationships to leave a place where you get to play ball?

It for some reason we lose Beekman there really won’t have been anything else CTB could have done

1 Like

“I know some fans worry about losing these transfers. But I think you’ll find the Virginia Basketball program is healthier and more talented when the dust settles.”

I’m glad to hear this sort of optimism. Seems like the consensus around this board is converging on “Tony can’t recruit his way out of a wet paper bag.”

Assuming Shedrick actually plays basketball again, I like him and Reece as the ‘core’ of our next really good team.

Maybe Murphy comes back, Tony kills it on the transfer market, and that happens next year. Maybe we’re waiting on McCorkle/Murray/McKneely to come along as the complementary offensive threats.

I just really like watching those two guys play.

2 Likes

Which obviously isn’t true. But it’s inarguable CTB has been on a dry patch. Which happens now and then. Joe Harris doesn’t hit EVERY 3 pointer. Just the other day, and I swear this is true, Harris went 1 for 3. I know, right? Truth is stranger than fiction.

Recruiting will be ok.

I’m not going to put up with any more of this kind of negative talk. Recruiting will be amazing.

2 Likes

I don’t really see that here. Even on the Sabre, one person will say something dire and then 500 people will call them a Hokie or moron or suggest that Millennials/GenZ are somehow to blame.

Think there’s good discussion going on about changing landscape and the bit of a dry patch we’re in in terms of high school recruits, but definitely no consensus that Tony can’t recruit. And the vast majority seem to trust Tony to figure it all out.

2 Likes

Damn genZers ruining basketball amirite

3 Likes

You are correct.

If we could pull Kessler, Powell & Gardner, I’d be over the transfers and losing Keels :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t we all

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1377283233369489409?s=21

:smirk:

Come on down mr Gardner

7 Likes

Don’t think so, Gantt more 3 than 4, no?

FWIW some of their fans seem to think this might hurt their recruitment & pretty sure a mod said he was scared by our pursuit. We’ll see…

1 Like

That Trout dude is like a fan mod, no intel. The normal mod said he’s still a take:

I think they will take Gardner if he wanted to come, I’m hearing Nick Farrar is likely going to be transferring from the program. Will have more on that later today.

1 Like

I think with Gantt and Incoming freshmen they are above the scholarship limit. Looks like they are at the 13, assume lose 3 seniors and add 3 freshmen and Gantt. Obviously more movement is likely.

Either way, he’s zooming with Miami tonight so this might go a while

Who? Gardner?

Yea sorry Gardner