šŸ—ŗ Potential ACC Expansion & Conference Realignment

Itā€™s not that. Itā€™s that we are contractually bound to espn until 2035 I think. Of course lawyers can work things out but isnā€™t that a hurdle in terms of this super alliance?

1 Like

The length of the TV deal is a hurdle, but if the ACCā€™s talking to the B1G and PAC-12 and ESPN would rather they work more with the SEC, then you ask ESPN what itā€™s worth to them. Thereā€™s not a lot the ACC can do to open up the contract, but if you can get ESPN to want to open up the contract, thatā€™s the goal.

If I understand the rights correctly, the rights holder of the home team controls the broadcast, so ACC teams playing road/neutral games with non-ESPN leagues would put those games on other networks whereas all ACC-SEC games are controlled by Disney.

3 Likes

The ACC from a business standpoint is a disaster. Last into the network game, and got the crapiest deal going. Now theyā€™re locked into a deal with ESPN until 2030-something and are the lowest revenue generating major conference in the country. When the first major round of expansion happened in the late 90s/early 2kā€™s they were late to the party panicked and scrambled to bring in teams in a knee jerk reaction to keep up. If nothing else creating some sort of partnership with the PAC12 and the BIG will maybe put a few more people into the room who have some version of foresight.

5 Likes

Good thing Swofford is gone. Guarantee Pac 12 fans are saying the same thing about Larry Scott. Lucky for us the Big Ten needs to maintain a power balance with the SEC otherwise theyā€™d have no reason to almost bail out the ACC and Pac 12.

2 Likes

Personally I thought Swofford was taking care of his buddies at Raycom who had hired his son years back.

2 Likes

ESPN to allow? B1G TV contracts are up in 2023. ESPN currently has a portion of B1Gā€™s broadcasting rights, and most certainly, seeks to expand it with a new contract proposal to the conference. Plus, they could choose to move with a separate contract for an alliance with the ACC/Pac-12. ESPN will acquiesce to ensure Fox Sports, CBS or NBCā€™s reach further into college football is limited.

I thought Pac-12 was also with Fox but got it.

Remember, the landscape of how viewers obtain content is rapidly changing. These cable bundle deals where ESPN can hold cable providers hostage to buying a full bundle package is slowly dissolving. ACC is playing it just right by not over-reacting.

In addition, this alliance may choose to reshuffle the deck chairs on the new 12-team playoff proposal. With the Big 12ā€™s potential downgrading, B1G may choose to push for a 6-team or 8-team format to limit SEC access. This could also impact ND as well.

There remains many directions for the Power conferences to take.

3 Likes

BYU Cincinatti Houston and UCF to the Big12. RIP to Memphis.

Also didnā€™t Bronco leave BYU in part because they couldnā€™t get into a bigger conference which hurt recruiting? lol

Doubt heā€™ll ever say it, but Iā€™m guessing it was mostly about the money

1 Like

Mostly due to playing in a playoff if I remember. Looks like byu will never get to a major conference if this information is true

1 Like

There is a lot of extra stuff that goes along with being the coach at BYU. I think he was ready to just be a coach and see what he could do elsewhere.

4 Likes

Something that always made sense in my mind. Fellow catholic school that is basketball only. Travel will be a pain in the butt though. But with BYU leaving for the Big12, not much basketball left at all in an already weak bball conference.

1 Like

If I3m the Zags i donā€™t make this move. Conference strength not nearly as important in basketball. Theyā€™ve proven they can make a national championship game coming from their Conference and save the 6 cross country trips a big east would cost them

8 Likes

Yeah. Thereā€™s bad travel and then thereā€™s THAT. You think all the big east teams are going to want to add a quick trip to Spokane to their schedule? No.

No football, so PAC12 is out but maybe they can do something with hoops like ND football does with ACC.

4 Likes

Their only other option is the MWC as a basketball only member. SDSU Nevada UtahState ColoradoState UNLV Boise State not world beaters but definitely a step up in market and competition playing against several teams that can make the tournament versus games vs Pacific and Portland.

2 Likes

Potential for the MWC is definitely higher even though their on court product has been roughly equal to the WCC lately.

1 Like

Perfect solution: change name to St Johns. Move campus to Jamaica Queens. Half of home games in the Mecca. Who says no? Probably just a bunch of Spokane dead endersā€¦

Figured this thread was as good as any for thisā€¦ perhaps this is what the B1G and ACC should do (I know they wonā€™t due to revenue, but it would be interesting to consider).

Quick excerpt if you donā€™t want to read the whole article:

"The western conference would include SMU, North Texas, Rice, UTEP, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, Louisiana Tech, Wichita State, UAB, Memphis and UTSA. The eastern conference would feature East Carolina, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Temple, Marshall, FAU, FIU, South Florida, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky and two potential new additions.

This would provide more geographic-friendly matchups and would eliminate distant trips. For instance, Temple and SMU, separated by 1,600 miles, are both in the American. In the reorganization proposal, the Owls and Mustangs would be in separate conferences.

The reorganization would pair neighboring schools currently existing in different leagues. C-USA schools like Florida Atlantic and FIU would be in the same conference as South Florida, currently in the American. East Carolina, in the AAC, would find itself in the same conference as Charlotte, currently in C-USA. The same goes for Tulsa, an AAC member, and C-USA school North Texas."

3 Likes

Seems too logical to work.

6 Likes