Power Gertrude, and Elmarko

38 Likes

A very fair and sober assessment IMO not that I know enough for my opinion to have any weight on a recruiting article.

2 Likes

Getting Gertrude and Power would be something. Know PG remains the biggest need, but back to back high level classes would have this program humming. September going to be one hell of a month!

19 Likes

I think the opportunity to play with Buchanan, Gertrude, and Power (all of whom will already have committed to UVA by then) will be too much for Elmarko to turn down.

12 Likes

I just want Gertrude. Landing the other two would be amazing but I’m pessimistic with regards to our chances against the field in those recruitments. If we get Gertrude to go along with BB and then add a late find or two to finish out the class then that’ll make for a decent haul.

9 Likes

Best (highly optimistic) scenario is wrapping up gertrude and power in September and then make Elmarko the only remaining priority for the class. If he wants to take his recruitment into the spring, no problem. At that point, you have better clarity on Beekman’s NBA potential.

7 Likes

I may be way off with Power but I think the only field is Duke. The biggest decision is do you want the glitz and glory of Duke with a coach who has yet to develop anyone as a HC or Bennett, who has developed some great players. I think even the biggest Duke fan around would admit Bennett is on a different level than Scheyer. That’s not to say Scheyer may end up as an all time great in 10 years but he’s not now.

7 Likes

TJ Power has demonstrated smarts on the court and how he quietly handles his business off the court.

I’m betting he doesn’t fall for the glitz of the Duke brand. Too risky to choose an unproven head coach who is most likely to use Duke dollars to recruit over you.

Better to play smart and long and choose Coach Bennett and Virginia.

5 Likes

From our perspective it’s a very easy choice. If TJ came to UVA I have full faith that Bennett would turn him into an All-American caliber player and have him drafted after 2-3 years. But to this point Scheyer has recruited his ass off at Dook despite never having coached a game, so even with the unknown of how he’s gonna do carrying the torch there it seems that his message is really resonating with the players he’s going after (or at the very least he just knows how to properly pitch the extremely sellable product he’s been given).

There’s absolutely a chance we win in the end for Power, but until we actually beat out Dook for a recruit they’re heavily pursuing I’m not banking on it being the likely outcome. Hope I’m wrong though, he’s #1 on my wishlist for this class.

1 Like

I agree with this…The *one thing that I’m concerned about is that he may “remember” that he is already 19-20(?) and may be trying to get to the league sooner rather than later :-/

1 Like

I don’t know when K announced his retirement in terms of the incoming '22 freshmen’s commits, but even if they committed knowing they’d be playing for Scheyer, it’s only been 2 classes. Neither of which have seen him coach even a minute of his own college basketball team. He’s still recruiting off of the rat.

If there’s a dip, and I wholeheartedly believe there will be, it’ll take a little while to show.

2 Likes

I’m curious, I feel like our path to immediate playing time as a hybrid 3/4 is not that clear right now. I feel like we have the clearest path to playing time (and greatest need) at the 1…would love to get a strong PG in this class.

1 Like

Gardner, BVP, and Caffaro will all be gone next year. I don’t think we will have all of the guys who play the 3 on the roster next year. That should give time for Traudt + Power at the 4 and maybe some time at the 3 for Power. But I see it likely Traudt is 25 minutes at the 4 and a handful at the 5 next year which gives plenty of room for Power. In other words, we need 4 bigs on the roster (this year we will have 5!) and there are only three on the roster for next year (one of whom is true first year Buchanan). I’m not a believer than Dunn or Bond or Taine are going to be long term options at the 4.

4 Likes

I think you’d see a lot of Power, Bond, and Traudt together 3.4,5 down the line. And remember Traudt is basically set up to be the starting 4 and backup center in his 2nd year. Bond and Power are a good combo at the 3,4…they fill each others weaknesses.

27 Likes

There will definitely be a dip at some point, whether it be Scheyer struggling or him actively wanting more 3-4 year players on his roster down the line. But the point I’m trying to make is that even if K isn’t there anymore it’s still a tough offer to turn down, and I’m just not getting my hopes up until one of these actually goes in our favor.

1 Like

Very helpful-thank you! Will be interested to see hoo we get this year. Already off to a good start with Buchanan.

1 Like

I agree those guys have a lot of diversity to their games and interchangeability at those different positions. Will be difficult for opponents to slot defenders on them.

2 Likes

Don’t overthink it. If he’s really 6’8 and can really make 3s and is a good enough athlete to get on the floor at duke or unc then I’m not worried about it.

6 Likes

immediately subtract 2 inches for guys 6-5 and up, 1 inch for 6-4 to 6 and 4.5 for Kihei. Then plan accordingly

7 Likes

Are we still talking basketball Dougie?

5 Likes