Pre-season 2022

Yes. In fact preseason AP poll is so good that adding it as a data point to a model trying to predict ncaa tournament is valuable even right before the tournament when you’d think a team’s skill would be completely baked into all the other ratings and metrics.

All his tweet says is that the #1 in the poll is less likely to be national champ than the #1 in any other poll. I’m sure it’s true, but the implication that that makes the poll worthless is dumb.

3 Likes

How do I take this? (I want the over - 2 wins out of those 4 would be a push).

Whatever we are doing to our offense is not a total rebuild. We may be adding stuff, but we aren’t scrapping our old offense and it is not accurate to say that our starters are still “learning the ropes” of our offensive schemes like some of those other teams will be.

It’s a done deal. We settle through @DFresh11 (who naturally takes a cut).

I hope you win.

1 Like

Have we heard anything on Traudt’s ankle ?

4 Likes

Ok, I found the article from 2019 talking about it. Since 2004, every national champion has ranked at least 12th in the week 6 AP poll, and at the time, the eventual national champ had an avg ranking of 6.1 in week 6. Baylor was 2 and Kansas was 7, so not sure what the updated stats would be. So basically, no need to watch from week 6 until the tourney starts :wink:

History still says one of these 12 teams will win the national title | John Gasaway

4 Likes

I do recall that article about the power of the 6th week AP poll. If I’m doing it correctly, that means we all will watch for the poll of Dec. 19, 2022. Just bookmarked your post with a reminder for that day.

2 Likes

Does that mean if we aren’t ranked 6th or better by Dec 19 I can punt on the rest of the season because to steal @WFS_HOO gimmick we’re so f*ck’d?

2 Likes

Adding Kansas and Baylor would make it 5.9 (5.944444…). Take that with a grain of salt because I was a history major who bombed integral calculus (among several other classes) at UVA.

1 Like

Yup. Start thinking about football at that point.

2 Likes

Letterkenny GIF by Crave

3 Likes

LOL, yep, we really are fckd. Might want to start following LAX, tennis, swimming, baseball, golf (and whatever other sports programs at UVa have become perennial winners).

2 Likes

I’m told softball and volleyball aren’t consistently awful anymore, which is nice. I’m actually hard pressed to find a sport UVA isn’t good at right now. Bass fishing, maybe.

8 Likes

Football?

9 Likes

Um, right.

Other than that.

2 Likes

I think what is more interesting for this year, particularly for the Hoos, is that there isn’t a daunting/loaded top tier to deal with. The difference between teams ranked in the top 5 and those in the 15-25 range isn’t ridiculously significant- and I think that bodes very well for our prospects and where we finish the year.

Of the listed 4-game gauntlet- Baylor is the only game where I would call a win a “surprising result”- given its a neutral game and we should be at +4/5. But looking at their roster, they are solid but not loaded. We should have a decent chance. Houston at home will be a pumped atmosphere, I set that as close to a pickem given how they waxed us last year/I would assume we come out very focused. Michigan close to a pickem as well.

I think 2-2 is reasonable expectation- along with a 2nd place ACC finish. That puts us at 8-2 non-con, 14-6ish ACC, 22-8 overall. We would be staring at 3/4 seed territory and shot at making a second weekend run.

I think expectations should be reasonably high given the improved shooting and experience. No reason to be nervous.

5 Likes

This is called the denial stage of grief. I prefer to go into every season already somewhere between depression and acceptance.

4 Likes

I need to see video of @WFS_HOO “enjoying” the Final 4 in 2019

6 Likes

10 Likes

50-50 had to google the winner on Tuesday morning

1 Like