Pre-season 2022

You keep trying to draw a distinction between what I want it to capture and what it should be capturing that doesn’t compute for me. :joy:

I guess I disagree that is what KenPom and Sagarin are doing (injuries being a major counterpoint).

To expand a bit, KenPom and Sagarin (and as we’ve discussed) 3MW treat every game like it’s equivalent to every other game. But humans know that the most important games are in the tourney, and teams and coaches and fans (and all of Sumner Redstone’s crazy kids and whoever owns TBS/TNT these days) all know that, too, so those games are higher stakes and efficiency margins aren’t necessarily the best predictor we have for that. I guess I’d trust the computers to know who the best 200 teams are, but I still trust the humans to know who the best 4 teams are.

2 Likes

I’m saying there is no objective ‘what it should be capturing’ lol you want it to capture who is most likely to win the national title but that isn’t objectively what it needs to be or should be. That’s a preference. I prefer a weekly power ranking to see who is playing the best at the moment

1 Like

I get that, but it’s not doing that either.

1 Like

Problems inherent to these polls:

• There’s no agreed-upon definition of what metric we’re even ranking (resume, tourney odds, general strength)
  • It’s a ton of work to “vote well”: way too many teams and games to keep track of
  • There’s virtually no benefit to the voter in “voting well”
  • There’s some benefit to “hot takes” (more clicks)

It’s amazing we get anything at all out of this exercise.

7 Likes

Right. There’s an alternative score-keeping system the voters are implicitly using to re-grade their votes each week that sort of parallels an actual power-ranking of the current best team and people’s predictions on winning the title, but has some really obvious differences. Everyone understands this is the case and people discuss it all the time, but never actually sit down and explain it because its considered obvious.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Agree - these have been worth the read - maybe mostly for the highlights grouped by player

Shocked that he isn’t holding a red shirt in his hand

2 Likes

Good to see this looking normal for VA again after the surge from VT last year

6 Likes

Doesnt TB know there is an huge FOMC decision at 2pm?

5 Likes

75 BPS, no pivot

Jay wants to be taken seriously

2 Likes

Yep but If they are already in the treasury market is that an pivot…

Edit: establishing a pivot foot used to be important

3 Likes

1 Like

You trying to get me started ha

TB must know, he will probably announce the rate hike himself so no one misses it.

4 Likes

“Tony Bennet today announced new capital, liquidity, and shirt color requirements for all systemically important financial institutions”

5 Likes

And formally requests that Jerome P utilizes his red shirt year

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hehehehe

11 Likes

Tony’s like: “forget that stuff I said to Rothstein about not being Leonard Hamilton. F it, I’m playing 12.”

11 Likes