Pre-season 2022

The moment you uttered anything other than the one and only accepted truth, you stood in aggression towards righteousness. An offense that cannot go unignored. A sin that can only be appropriately punished with year 3 of the Reece-Kihei war on the UVA forums.

5 Likes

:wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

Never has there been a more perfect description of UVA

3 Likes

OK, so wanting to see the team play is “whining?”

Interesting take.

3 Likes

I have watched many live streams of high school games in Nebraska and West Virginia…. I don’t feel like it’s that hard to do anymore if you don’t care about having announcers or anything.

I’m in the camp of I’d love to watch the games and think it would be smart at minimal cost to the team, program, or competitiveness, but also Tony has basically earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants in this regard so… meh. I just really hope we get some meaningful highlights and maybe some kind of underground reports from folks who were there.

5 Likes

True that. I mean look how much money we saved on practice jersey’s this year… :roll_eyes::smile:

2 Likes

Honestly, it can be an Iphone/Ipad on a stand just filming and that would be satisfactory…That “excuse” doesn’t fly…but oh well I’m over it, kind of.

4 Likes

You’re also not going to have somebody from the athletic department pointing the finger at Tony Bennett. They’d much rather take it on the chin than blame the highest profile coach the school has (or has ever had).

4 Likes

Doing it in Italy may be a different animal though. You either have to rely on local contractors to do it, or bring your own people and equipment, etc. Either way I imagine it is expensive. Doesn’t explain not giving us better highlight packages and whatnot from practices and games here (they used to be so much longer and more frequent) though.

The problem with the secretiveness argument is it just doesn’t make any sense. Teams know how we play, and like someone else said, will have a better idea after our first game, so there’s no reason to be like this now.

Back to resources, I definitely think it comes down to priorities. These programs have a lot of money they can allocate in different areas, and unfortunately social just isn’t one of them they want to increase their spend on.

5 Likes

If they announced they were streaming the games and it turned out that consisted of a single fixed iPad, people would be pissed

2 Likes

The bigger platform we build, means more exposure for our guys, which means more NIL, which while not the focal point definitely will help going forward. Definitely helps the Dukes and Kentucky’s of the world (rich get richer)

3 Likes

We still do magazines like this? I need to get into the collecting game.

https://twitter.com/fresh11_d/status/1556748390339330048/photo/1

4 Likes

still have a bunch of em. back when Edits were exploding on the scene!

3 Likes

On the baseball side, we have a similar lack of access other than the actual games to include fall baseball games (7 game Orange & Blue World Series, 2 or 3 scrimmages) not being streamed.

A few falls ago, we were at East Carolina for a fall scrimmage and they streamed it. But past fall scrimmages at places like Liberty and Maryland had no coverage either.

Even now, it’s hard to come by detailed game reports or box scores for those things. You might get one or two from the entire fall.

But back to baseball and how that’s relevant to your post. Earlier in his tenure, Oak was coverage averse because he didn’t like the scouting opportunities. UVA, at some point, had an olympic sports streaming platform called Cavaliers Live. Baseball was part of that. There was one fixed camera in CF that didn’t move. And it was zoomed out as far as possible.

The Sabre was the only spot around back then to talk about UVA baseball. Some people watched the coverage, but it was constantly crapped on for its poor quality.

The ACC’s deal with ESPN has been a bonanza for baseball fans. Between pre ACC Network ESPN streaming and now ACC Network/ACC Network Xtra just getting to watch 95+% of the games is a huge leap forward.

5 Likes

I don’t know. Several years ago a guy used periscope to stream some of our games in Europe and I think those of us who watched were pretty appreciative.

Anything is better than a few blurbs from the UVA media guy which tells us almost nothing.

3 Likes

Oh sure and it speaks to our desperation that we were happy with such crumbs. But if the official stream was that low quality, people would be mad.

2 Likes

I hear you. But if a high school athletics department in Nebraska can figure out how to put a half decent camera on a tripod and have a single team assistant just pan left to right, I think we could do the same. And Italy obviously has internet and people there stream things live to YouTube all the time too. And if live was a problem for some weird reason (eg wifi in the arena), the game footage could just be uploaded to YouTube after the fact. All of this could probably be done with one old camera and a team assistant. I just don’t get how it’d be resource heavy in today’s world.

I think the reason we don’t have these things is because the coaching staff doesn’t want us to. Which, while I’d prefer they felt differently, is totally cool with me and they have the right to do whatever they want. I just personally refuse to believe it’s a resourcing issue when anyone anywhere with a basic phone camera and an internet connection can live stream these days. Unless there’s an issue with media agreements or we require XYZ weird standards be met for anything live streamed by Virginia sports (this I could maybe believe).

7 Likes

Don’t know about magazines but as someone that had no ties to UVA or ever went to game as a kid, finding a team poster at a shoe store or something was like finding gold.

Also, the generic team posters they do now are OK I guess, but I miss the days when it was just a couple of the stars and there were some production values. Tuxes and grand pianos and shit. Those posters were badass. Adult me would still like to collect that kind of UVA poster.

3 Likes

Fwiw, a quick survey of high major hoops programs who are on overseas trips, or are done:

• Baylor - global jam in Canada, streaming on ESPN+, full replays available
  • Ole Miss - I think they’re streaming; full replays available
  • Auburn - games are on SEC network
  • Wake - no streaming, paltry stats
  • Oklahoma - no streaming, paltry stats
  • Butler - no streaming, paltry stats
  • FSU - desert wasteland. TBH, when I do these periodic surveys, seeing the attention their hoops teams gets always makes me feel better about our slightly less parched wasteland.
  • Clemson - no streaming, but stats!
  • OSU - no streaming, paltry stats
  • Bama - all but streaming. Live stats, plentiful updates. But no streaming
  • NC State - no streaming, paltry stats
  • Vandy - no streaming, paltry stats
  • Arkansas - streaming on FLo sports (polish off that loginID!!)
  • Wiscy - upcoming, but looks like no streaming. BUT a big ten network camera crew is following them
  • Kentucky - SEC Network

Takeaways later…

Okay, one takeaway now: I mean, the SEC is light years out front. Ole Miss! Are there Ole Miss hoops fans? (cue the Marshall Henderson gif…)

8 Likes

WTH? Man, Flo has one eclectic line up.

4 Likes