Pre-season 2022

I always assumed it was blue white because it’s sponsored by Pepsi

10 Likes

Believe it was originally done to satisfy a sponsor.

Edit: Missed your post @JoeBoxley . That is correct

4 Likes

I look forward to all the Sat/Mon turnarounds the league trys to screw us with

2 Likes

honestly think non-football weekend may be better? the challenges w/ not knowing game-time, parking (esp. for fans ONLY planning to go to basketball) make it likely harder to promote.

would it make sense to have tickets (even for free) to try to get more of a commitment of people? I certainly would be like “i’ve got a ticket, that’s my afternoon plan” vs. the open door “maybe i’ll go this weekend, we’ll see”.

2 Likes

As a setter/libero in HS and played some club games in the UK when I lived there… the position of libero is no fun. Much rather be an undersized setter… but all that did was limit our block since I’m only 5’10" which put us at a disadvantage. :frowning:

Edit: The reason I did not like libero is because a libero cannot be on the front block nor can the libero spike it…

Edit 2: I’m the Kihei of volleyball setters… because liberos are good at defense, but are really short. Ugh!

2 Likes

If you wanted to maximize in-person attendance, you’d put it on Friday evening of a football weekend. Or, if you’re flexible, even day of game on a football Saturday. Though that might be a logistical nightmare.

1 Like
  1. Pepsi sucks
  2. They still sell orange crush I believe…which UVA used to use for marketing
3 Likes

The last one I went to a few years ago was on the same day as a football game. Watched the scrimmage then walked over to the football stadium and watched us beat Miami. Was a really fun day all around, although I’m guessing that only works if you get an evening football game on a Saturday.

3 Likes

As long as it’s not outside competition. They can’t compete in scrimmages against other teams.

1 Like

Huh, I didn’t realize that. So if a guy plays in one of the secret scrimmages then he can’t redshirt?

1 Like
9 Likes

I suppose that depends on how secret it is. :wink:

1 Like

I just realized that we have to play Houston after our 11-day exam layoff.

And they have no break at all.

At least we get them at JPJ.

4 Likes

Can NOT wait for this game.

9 Likes

I think also that redshirting is an informal term and process. An athlete may compete in four years of activity and has five years to do so. I don’t think there is any process in which a school or athlete has to declare a redshirt year in advance or at any time. If he doesn’t play one year, he hasn’t competed and so the year doesn’t count. Redshirting could come about by a conscious decision to withhold a player from competition, but it’s not fundamentally different than a player who just didn’t play because he was riding the pine. They have the same effect. There are different exceptions that apply to different sports and situations (medical injury, Covid year, …). I think if there is some question on participation, the school can request a determination by the NCAA. But I don’t think there is any routine application or process with the NCAA for someone to redshirt, or at least that I can find.

There are lots of detailed rules about what a student athlete can and cannot do with respect to all kinds of athletic, educational, and civic activities. Every school is supposed to have an annual detailed report on each student athlete in every sport and his/her activities. So maybe there’s some sort of record of a non-competition or “redshirt” year. But I don’t think that a student athlete has to be formally redshirted and somehow have that designation removed in order to compete. The NCAA Manual has a bajillion rules and really nothing about redshirting other than the 5 to complete (participate in) 4.

Someone familiar with the compliance administration may know of some forms or confirming process.

Nigel Johnson insta story today is him attempting to walk. Are the program or former players organizing anything? GoFundMe we can support? edit - here it is

5 Likes

Yeah. redshirts are claimed after the season. Doesn’t matter if you declare it at the start like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

3 Likes

https://www.gofundme.com/f/nigel-johnson-family

11 Likes

Looks like 6 saturday ACC homes games. Nice from a fan perspective

3 Likes

Can NOT wait for this season. I’m expecting big things

4 Likes