Recruiting-High Stakes September

Lol nothing’s changed with Keels. UVA is in the thick of it. So is Duke of course. An echo chamber isn’t a trend.

19 Likes

Sort of curious - who else has Duke offered that slots in Keels’ position? Clearly UVA is all in on him, but not sure about Duke. I know Baldwin is offered and not Keels’ competition, but who is Duke chasing?

Duke isn’t really pursuing another SG other than Keels, they’re also not going after another PG this cycle. Baldwin can shoot the three, but he’s not going to be relied on to do that. The bigger issue with Keels to Duke is the 2020 class. The only bonafide one and done they have is Jalen Johnson, meaning the rest of their class, including Roach (PG) and Steward (CG), will probably still be in Durham. If he ends up there, he’s going to be competing for PG minutes with both of them. The next issue is with the 2022 class, which projects to be guard heavy. Duke needs a PG in that class, which could further reduce Keels’ time at the position.

4 Likes

Dook’s 2020 class has it’s advantages and disadvantages wrt Keels. The main player of interest to Keels would be Jeremy Roach, who many in the Dook camp think is gonna be a OaD. If they’re right and he is, then that opens a potential starting spot for Keels to play PG like he allegedly wants to. However, if Roach doesn’t go pro, then the pitch for Dook would be that Keels gets to play alongside his HS teammate, even if they would potentially be fighting for playing time.

3 Likes

That may be the pitch to Keels. However, there is no way he is ready to handle the point yet! Especially for any of his final three. Not yet, anyway.

Doesn’t matter if he’s actually ready or not, just if Dook is able to convince him that he is and that they’d allow him to be a PG. There’s no way he’s running the point for us or Nova, so it’s a selling point that Dook currently holds over everyone else.

2 Likes

Yes, I did agree with that and you better believe that’s what they’re selling him.

1 Like

I hope Keels reads about Tyler Thornton’s experience at Duke and being recruited over.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, Duke isn’t recruiting him to exclusively play the point. He play with the ball in his hands some, much like he would at UVa.

And Trevon Duval who also was recruited over at Duke.

Duval actually ended up being a OaD (despite not at all being ready for the NBA). But there’s been plenty of examples of highly ranked guys being recruited over. Alex Murphy, Semi Ojeleye, Michael Gbinije, Marques Bolden, Derryk Thornton, Alex O’Connell, Jordan Tucker, Joey Baker, and soon to be 2-3 players from the 2020 class as well.

1 Like

recruitedoverhood

3 Likes

He was basically forced to declare early. He was recruited over and chose not to return even after the rule change. It was significant news at the time.

Absolutely! Coach “K” decided to build depth and loaded his bench in 2020. We’ll see who stays and for how long. :thinking:

Damn didn’t know about that. Makes sense though, with the younger Jones and the “Brotherhood” of Reddish, Zion, and Barrett coming in there wasn’t gonna be much of a chance for Duval to be a lead guard.

They were honestly expecting him to be a OAD! However, he wasn’t projected to be drafted but they had already recruited over him. This is what I don’t want to see happen at UVA and would be shocked to see such from our staff. However, it’s pretty obvious Coach K doesn’t share those same morals.

1 Like

To me recruiting over kids isn’t a real thing in basketball. At least not with players in different classes. Fans of other programs could easily say Murray is recruiting over McCorkle. Every coach is trying to get the best players that fit his program every class. IMO the only real cases are when they are in the same class like Coleman and Brakefield or Allen with Whitney and Brooks at Kentucky in 2019.

6 Likes

“An echo chamber isn’t a trend.” – THIS !!! Thanks for the wisdom, HGN.

4 Likes

“recruitedoverhood” – now THAT’S solid. Well played, Sir.

3 Likes

So there isn’t any confusion. I did edit my post about being objective. I want tu be transparent.

If I can say something about keels. SMH. It is true Keels want tu become a Future PG. But that doesnt mean he have tu be the MAIN PG on the team. As long he can play with the ball in his hands some. I was told this as far back as last yr. Trevor want tu WORK on his PG skills in practice and play the position sometimes during games. This is why UVA was leading because UVA did exactly that with Malcolm. Malcolm was NEVER our MAIN PG during his career at UVA. He worked on his PG skills in practice and during games. When London went out of the games. Malcolm relieved London of his PG duties. Now he is a STARTING PG in the NBA. You can say the same with Darius. I have no idea what happenned with Devon being a PG. Anyway, I am being told, Duke is telling Trevor, they can make him a complete PG faster than UVA and they have an easier path for him tu play PG. I wont say who but Somebody in Keels inner circle is sold on this and prefer not tu wait tu 3 or 4 yrs like UVA did with Malcolm. They believe Duke will keep their promise and Trevor will be a true PG and NBA player quicker. This is the main reasons why my people believe Trevor will pick Duke. If Im being completely objective. Which I always do. Picking Duke would appear tu be the best option. We have one of the top PG in the conference and some say country. We have a highly rated PG just a yr ahead of him. Im being told he is the truth. He need work in his 3 point shot but thats not the topic. Plus you have several guys that can play the combo guard role. Than you have a coach that really prefer tu play 8 or 9 guys and the last tu play limited minutes. Actually the same can be said about Duke also. Than you have all the other stuff I mentioned tu months ago. Being objective, I can see why Duke is so attractive.

I had tu say something because Yall were killing me with all this talk about Trevor. LOL At least I try tu discuss other topics and I NEVER asked anyone tu stop. Anyway, Let me say this again. I am NOT an insider. I am NOT saying what I posted is 100% factual. Im just sharing what I was told from people I really trust from the Grassroots community. Either you take it or dont. I can care less but this is what I was told. I dont share more because of 3 or 4 posters up here. They know who they are. In my opinion thats their lost. Ok Thanks for reading and allowing me tu share. IM OUT.

17 Likes